• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Creep feeding calves?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Find a feed that is fairly high in protein and is fiber based, NOT starch based. Check the pellets out and make sure they are uniform, nice sized, and contain few fines. I see a lot of creep feeders out in the country, and most of them are being filled by one of my competitors. When you look at the product, you would think my competitor ought to have to pay the producer to put that garbage out. It has the appearance of mush.

Not sure what is available in Cali, but if you look around a little you should find a quality product. If there is a LOOMIX dealer in your area you might look into creeping with LOOMIX High Fat calf creep. You'll like the results and you won't have to rent or buy a conventional creep feeder.

We put creep out this year for the first time in a long time... They have barely touched it. We have way to much green grass(another first in a long time) hopefully our good hard grass puts the weight on them. :)

I feel that people put out creep feed for the calves thinking it will help the cow, or particularly young cows/heifers. It doesn't. The calf still pulls on the cow. If you are in a drought type situation, wean the calves if you are trying to help the cows. FWIW

I agree that you need to be really careful of what the creep feed consists of. In our area, people have tried to feed whole oats in a creep feeder only to have the calves get entertoxemia--even after being vaccinated for it. There is no limiter in the oats and the best calves, with the best appetite overeat the oats.

I put the creep feeder out about a month before I wean . the main reason is when I wean I pull the creep feeder in with the calves. they are accustomed to it and they eat when ever they take a brake from bawling . twice I ve had issues getting calves started on feed this is a sure fire way to avoid the issue. and it is a issue you don't want to have to battle. I back ground are calves for 60 to 90 days before selling them. as far as creep feeding to add pounds I think you just trade money but is does help the calves on the older or poorer milking cows. these cows need culled but there isn't a person on this site that don't own some of those I ll run her one more year old girls

loomixguy said:
Find a feed that is fairly high in protein and is fiber based, NOT starch based. Check the pellets out and make sure they are uniform, nice sized, and contain few fines. I see a lot of creep feeders out in the country, and most of them are being filled by one of my competitors. When you look at the product, you would think my competitor ought to have to pay the producer to put that garbage out. It has the appearance of mush.

Not sure what is available in Cali, but if you look around a little you should find a quality product. If there is a LOOMIX dealer in your area you might look into creeping with LOOMIX High Fat calf creep. You'll like the results and you won't have to rent or buy a conventional creep feeder.
Why you you sell a high fat creep? Buyers dont want pudgey steer calves, and you can potentially hurt your replacements

Just Ranchin said:
loomixguy said:

Why you you sell a high fat creep? Buyers dont want pudgey steer calves, and you can potentially hurt your replacements

HF calf creep is NOT like dry high starch conventional creep. It provides extra energy (helpful in drought situations), conditions the rumen, provides extensive vitamins and trace minerals which are beneficial for health and immunity, and promotes skeletal and muscle growth. ADG will also improve, especially if Rumen-Next is added to the liquid. It will not cause fat deposits to occur in calves.

The liquid I am putting out right now for everything is our HF Complete, with Availa-4 and Rumen-Next added it to it. 20% protein, 12% fat, with a complete vitamin and trace mineral package. When cattle go on stalks, I will switch to our regular Ore-Bac range liquid, with one addition...I will order the Ore-Bac sweet product with biuret. No matter what percentage of sweet to bitter is in the trough, the blend will always be 25% protein, I am looking forward to trying it out!

Latest posts