• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Crossbreeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'll challenge you to pick up a 6/100th's of an inch difference in scrotal circumference lol. Like I said he makes me money thats the only EPD that matters to this cowboy-and when I first used him he was only 16 for milk lol.As for E.P.D's I tend to use them less and less for selection purposes-real life results aren't always matching what the number crunchers say-they are becoming more a marketing tool than a way to genetically 'improve' things. Tex Prime Time tended to leave the odd 'grey' calf too. Nicky I'll phone Murray and see if he got him back in stud to be collected for export-we'll both be having calves from him this spring. Heck Nicky I'd even go down and install the semen for you lol.

An old cowboy I know with 6 kids told me 'heck I'm hung like a squirrel and it never slowed me down' lol. Like I said I don't worry too much about E.P.D's-I've had better results from bulls with poor ones than some trait leaders lol. I hate to say it since I was an R.O.P weighman for years but we ended up with alot better cattle when I parked the scale and just started selecting replacements on good feet,good udders and longevity the performance part kind of took care of itself.

Northern Rancher said:
I parked the scale and just started selecting replacements on good feet,good udders and longevity the performance part kind of took care of itself.

Halleleujah brother. :) The best bull I've ever owned had breed average EPDs across the board, with a few minuses. Accuracy was 60 - 70% on most. The absolute worst bull I ever owned had high EPDs for BW and YW, and above average EPDs everywhere else. He was put into a cross situation that he should have done well in and I ended up with horrible little calves.

Rod

Nicky I'll phone Murray and see if he got him back in stud to be collected for export-we'll both be having calves from him this spring. Heck Nicky I'd even go down and install the semen for you lol.
:)

I usually do my own, but by all means bring the semen down and have a visit, we'd love to have you :)

Maybe I missed the news NR, but wouldn't they do a body cavity search on you at the border if they caught you trying to cross with semen? Or is it only live breedstock that was restricted?

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Maybe I missed the news NR, but wouldn't they do a body cavity search on you at the border if they caught you trying to cross with semen? Or is it only live breedstock that was restricted?

Rod

Semen can cross the border. I think it's a heckuva lot easier to ship it down here rather than vice versa. I hope it is anyway. :cry:

I know a lady that went south after 911 and forgot she had the semen tank in the truck. She was stopped at the border coming back and customs thought it was a bomb and wouldn't let her thru. Finally some calls from federal vets and such and she made it home.

Took some odds and ends to feedlot today-the grid data isn't back yet but those steers gained 3.67lb/day at a cost of gain of 52 cents/lbthey averaged 1342 after a 5 percent shrink.-Bernie Kotelko figured that was pretty decent performance-not bad for my plain jane old cows.

Northern Rancher said:
I just got the kill data on those steers-they were 93 percent choice or better-had a quarter of them go prime.

Good job. NR. We entered the Charolais bull that Dale Norheim owns the Canadian interest, in the Conception to Consumer program and bred them to Red Angus cows.

We got 92% AAA (choice) and thought WE had set a record. We got no primes though. :cry: :cry:

You done good.

What was the yield grades like?

About 20 percent 1's, 60 percent 2's and rest 3's.I'd like to improve it but afraid I'd lose too much on the cow end if you select too hard for it. We almost ran some Char. bulls for clean up last year but the breeder couldn't get them here before we moved the cows. They were Montana Silver's out of Impressive daughters.

Latest posts