• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Daily operations

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Lazy E

Reaction score
I will be retiring from the Marines in a couple of years. When I do I will be buying a ranch and some cattle. The truth is, though, I don't know much about running a ranch. I am signed up for a ranch managment but that doesn't start until january and I will be living in Okinawa. Could someone give me an idea of what an average work day on a ranch is like?

Mike

Reaction score
Lazy E said:
I will be retiring from the Marines in a couple of years. When I do I will be buying a ranch and some cattle. The truth is, though, I don't know much about running a ranch. I am signed up for a ranch managment but that doesn't start until january and I will be living in Okinawa. Could someone give me an idea of what an average work day on a ranch is like?

Be glad to have you down here in Alabama for a couple of years of OJT!

There's NOTHING like REAL "Hands-On" experience!

I wouldn't charge you much at all either. Maybe just room and board and a bottle of spirits now and then!

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
On a more serious note: The Cattle management course can be a great place to learn. There will most likely be alot of things you dont understand. Ask questions when you have them. Remember not everything they tell you will work in your situation. Like Mike said, Hands on is the Best way to learn. Ask questions......It's a never ending learning process. Daily operations vary greatly depending on what time of year it is and what part of the country you plan to do it in. Soapweed's pictures are a great source on ranchers.net to get an idea of some operations daily workings. Where are you plannin on ranchin? Okinawa? or that's where you'll be when you take the course?
Oh did I mention .....ask lots of questions. Extention Agents, other Ranchers in your area, Feed Store, Sale barn......

Juan

Reaction score
I think Mike has a good idea.He seems like a savvy guy with a good sense of humor. :) He could also tell you about"Saving Up Coupons". :D

Mike

Reaction score
Juan said:
I think Mike has a good idea.He seems like a savvy guy with a good sense of humor. :) He could also tell you about"Saving Up Coupons". :D

Yep,

I picked up the paper and here's what I read,
THe Mother in-law of poor Jim Jones is dead
Jim up and shot her but they let him go
The gun it was loaded but Jim didn't know

Now I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
A six shot repeater the catalog shows......

Jim Jones had "Hands-On" experience. :wink:

Latest posts