• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

damaged steel stock tank

Help Support Ranchers.net:

John SD

Reaction score
Well, I had a dumba$$ attack today and drove a bit too close to my '7 round steel stock tank with the duals on the truck! :shock: Pulled the side of the tank away from the bottom. My idea to try and fix it is clean it up with a wire brush, then silicone caulk the heck out of it and hammer it back together as close as possible. I don't care if it's pretty or not!

I've kinda ruled out JB Weld and other brittle fix-it kind of stuff because I figure there just has to be some give to the repair. Another idea I had is a product called Goop that my neighbor recommends. I think is kind of like a glorified thick superglue.

Anyone have any success or failure stories on a case like this? The tank is only a few years old and not rusted at all.

kolanuraven

Reaction score
Goop is GREAT for just about anything I've found out. I've fixed water tanks with it before....holds great!! Will fix water tanks, leaky boots, etc.

George

Reaction score
I have had great success with silicone calk - - -get it clean first - - - my wife says I will give my cattle cancer having their water in contact with silicone but I have used it for several years and feel she is just over cautious.

John SD

Reaction score
Red Robin said:
John can you not braze it? Was it brazed originally?

RR, the tank is a Behlen tank. It's not brazed originally. Looks like it's crimped in place by a machine and sealed with some kind of stuff that might have silicone in it, but with a heavier consistency.

I've used the 100% silicone 50 year rated caulk with good success on underwater applications in tire tanks. I do know the paintable stuff with latex in it won't last underwater!

I'll report back after I caulk it with the 100% silicone pro or con. :D

Red Robin

Reaction score
John SD said:
Red Robin said:
John can you not braze it? Was it brazed originally?

RR, the tank is a Behlen tank. It's not brazed originally. Looks like it's crimped in place by a machine and sealed with some kind of stuff that might have silicone in it, but with a heavier consistency.

I've used the 100% silicone 50 year rated caulk with good success on underwater applications in tire tanks. I do know the paintable stuff with latex in it won't last underwater!

I'll report back after I caulk it with the 100% silicone pro or con. :D
John, If I could get the bead back together but not leak proof I would braze it then caulk it. If it is galvanized and I am sure it is breath some air from a different location while you braze. :wink: That galvanized coating burning is not very good for you. If you can braze some of the bead back I think your caulk will at least have less hole to fill.

Denny

Reaction score
Beat it back as tight as you can silicon it and then shovel some dirt into the area it will plug up the little seaps when I was a kid my Dad had 2 tanks that leaked we just shoveled some clay type soil in it and good as new.

Steve

Reaction score
If you can get some 3M 5200, it should do the trick. I have used it for alot of things and it has done a great job....

The seal is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below water line. Stays flexible too - allows for structural movement. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water.

Latest posts