• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dang Trees

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
We took the wire off an old fence the other day that was grown in with trees pretty bad. 40 years of growth gets to be a problem. Took the cat out to knock the trees down and re-clear the line. I was climbing the trees and riding them down and managed to get a little steep. I wanted to carry on but apparently this is the angle at which the transmission no longer picks up oil, so the fun stopped here and I walked home for a tractor and some chain. I hooked onto the low side bottom dozer arm first but that was a mistake because a gentle nudge from me and she tried to fall over. I then hooked onto the high side and pulled her down as she turned. The pictures really don't do it justice :(

utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMTAzMS0wMDA4OC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMTAzMS0wMDA4Ni5qcGc.jpg

View from the seat in flatter conditions:
utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMTAzMS0wMDA4NC5qcGc.jpg

Ditto to what gcreekrch said :shock:

Silver I think you have what I call .... MEN!!! [rolling my eyes] disease! :) :p

I know hind site is 20-20 but I always shove the tree to about 45 degrees then back up and get under the exposed root ball and lift and push, makes a much smaller hole and you won't get "hi centered"

Glad you wern't hurt and your equipment survived as well.

Didja get any on ya?

I have ridden a few over. I imagine we have all ended up sideways once anyway.

You walked away. No foul.

Ah, it's a fairly exclusive club that can tip a Cat over on level ground.

Some of our mottos/sayings:

I'll just make another round or two.

Hmmm....guess that wire was still hot after all.

Well---that was deeper than I thought.

Darn, maybe I shoulda walked him around a bit more first.

Here---lemme show ya' how to do it...

"A chicken woulda known better than that---and their heads are only THIS thick!!" (illustrating with 2 fingers)

The last one is actually kinda my wife's saying....

Pictures of the site never do it justice. There are a few pictures hanging on walls around here of things in places where they either never should have been, or the operator should have quit 1 round sooner. The tell tale sign is always in the BVDs.

George said:
I know hind site is 20-20 but I always shove the tree to about 45 degrees then back up and get under the exposed root ball and lift and push, makes a much smaller hole and you won't get "hi centered"

Ya, but you know how it is when you're in a hurry :D . I've been walking trees down the better part of my life between here and the oil patch, and perhaps I get a little too complacent about things, including slopes. Generally there is no room for backing up (and backing up in the bush is dangerous), so we trudge along, blade up and keep the eyes peeled for jill pokes. Root balls aren't much of a concern with these aspen, although I've seen guys high centered with D8's in the spruce.
At any rate, if the tranny hadn't kicked out for lack of oil I'da kept going and it wouldn't have been a deal.

I guess I learned my lesson: Next time, more oil in the transmission :lol:

Silver said:
George said:

Ya, but you know how it is when you're in a hurry :D . I've been walking trees down the better part of my life between here and the oil patch, and perhaps I get a little too complacent about things, including slopes. Generally there is no room for backing up (and backing up in the bush is dangerous), so we trudge along, blade up and keep the eyes peeled for jill pokes. Root balls aren't much of a concern with these aspen, although I've seen guys high centered with D8's in the spruce.
At any rate, if the tranny hadn't kicked out for lack of oil I'da kept going and it wouldn't have been a deal.

I guess I learned my lesson: Next time, more oil in the transmission :lol:

Now that's the spirit go big or go home. My brother runs a trachoe and some of the stuff I have seen him do would have me so pucker up that I would have to have the seat surgically removed.

Silver, if the pictures don't do it justice remind me to politely decline an invitation to take a dozer ride with ya! :shock: WOW! Glad you got her setting with the tracks rights side down. :lol: Cat-skinning cowboy dare-devil needs to be your signature! :wink:

littlejoe said:
Ah, it's a fairly exclusive club that can tip a Cat over on level ground.

Some of our mottos/sayings:

I'll just make another round or two. ME

Hmmm....guess that wire was still hot after all. ME

Well---that was deeper than I thought. ME

Darn, maybe I shoulda walked him around a bit more first. ME

Here---lemme show ya' how to do it... ME

"A chicken woulda known better than that---and their heads are only THIS thick!!" (illustrating with 2 fingers) WIFE

The last one is actually kinda my wife's saying....

I think I have heard a few of these from my other half and I few from me to.

The one I end up staying the most is: Maybe I shouldn't have done that. :shock:

So I'm running my old loader tractor home last night to plug it in. It's darker than a goat's gut and I'm down to one headlight (I never work it in the dark). I'm staying on the road by watching the drivers side ditch, when I get to the approach across from our driveway I swings her right to get in the yard. Turns out that approach is about 20' North of our driveway. Tractor is now blocked up at the bottom of the ditch while I change a spindle. I'm sure all the neighbors drove by, "now how in the He77?"

We have some lines to do this fall but I think were going to bring in a mulcher-a friend runs several and said he'd come up with four and have at it. The last bit of land we broke we used one after we windrowed the great big stuff. Glad you walked away from this deal!!!

Latest posts