• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dart Gun's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AC Diesel

Reaction score
Can those of you that have dart guns give me a recommendation on what brand and style works best. Co2 vs pump or 22cal blanks.
Thanks for your time!

www.pneudart.com

Mine is the CO2 version works very well get quite a few shots off one co2 cartridge. The darts are a one shot a done projectile. We got ours thru Stockmans Suppley in Fargo ND I live 2 hours from there and go thru quite often so I can pick up supplies when needed. Have ordered from both places.

I've only used one and that uses 22 blanks thru an adapter that converted a .50 cal muzzleloader to fire darts. We use the Pneu-Dart type U darts. Needs cleaned every 5 shots or less but if you can shoot, it's good at 25 yards or better. I can't throw a loop 75 feet. Gets pasture, outside lot and corn stalk usage here. Won't treat everything, but saves a bunch of time. Don't try to treat a young calf at less than 50 feet. This style has one velocity and will be effective on a mature bull at 30 yards.

I have a PneuDart. Bought it through my Veterinarian. It's a pump. I've been happy with it and it's had a workout this summer. I think every animal I own has had pinkeye at least twice. :cry2: :cry2: If you get one, make sure you go through PneuDart's website with a fine tooth comb. There's a lot of good information on it that will save you grief and $$$. Sign up for and read the eBook entitled Shooting the Bull.

The PneuDart darts are single use. I like not having to buy .22 blanks or Co2.

My cows react harder to the dart than calves do. Calves will make a loop and go right back into the cows and it's over. The cows bawl, jump around and get the others worried.

Number of pumps on the rifle are determined by the size of the dart. Draxxin is all I have used in my darts. 10cc is as big of a dart as they make. Aluminum body-you can't see the contents. I have had 3-4 bounce off the intended animal which I didn't appreciate and I don't have an answer as to why it happened.

In my experience, the darts that bounce off deliver the goods 2/3rds of the time. The others, who knows? Clean the gun will fix that usually.

Thanks Haytrucker...I asked PneuDart about it and was told I was too close to the animal or needed fewer pumps. Guess it's not an exact science.

I've made shots in windy conditions that shouldn't have landed, and missed at 15 yards by 3 feet. Exact science would not come to mind. Clean the bore, aim true and hope. 85 percent of first shots right is my ratio. Coming up on 50 attempts. I'm no expert.

DejaVu how far can you shoot a 10cc dart? I like the idea of not needing 22 blanks or CO2, my luck I'd run out and forget to replace. We've got some pretty tame cattle but I want to be sure I have a dart gun that will be effective at long range if needed. Thank's for your help guy's I will definitely order a PneuDart brand gun.

AC-here's a chart from PneuDart's website.
http://www.pneudart.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Model178_trajectoryTable2015web.pdf
25-30 feet would be as far as I've shot a 10cc dart. The chart shows up to 45 feet for a 10cc but that sure seems like a gamble.
It's primarily calves I've darted with my rifle. It doesn't take much to shoot a 3 or 5cc dart. The heifer I tried to dart a couple evenings ago deflected a 7cc dart. I brought her in and put her in the chute. It was surprising how tough her hide was. No wonder the dart bounced off. You'll be surprised how hard it is to pump the air rifle. 5 pumps and you'll need more wheaties! I've never used more than 5 pumps--mostly cause I'm not sure I could get 6 or 7!

I bought the pneu-dart 389 package last year and like it a lot. I doctored several foot rots and haven't missed yet. A dart and 10cc of draxxin is $55 so you defiantly don't want to miss. The 22 blanks don't cost much and I haven't had any problems using them. I usually get foot rots when I'm busy haying. Sure is nice to just go shoot them. http://shop.pneudart.com/cattle/cattle-389-long-range-package/

DejaVu said:
AC-here's a chart from PneuDart's website.
http://www.pneudart.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Model178_trajectoryTable2015web.pdf
25-30 feet would be as far as I've shot a 10cc dart. The chart shows up to 45 feet for a 10cc but that sure seems like a gamble.
It's primarily calves I've darted with my rifle. It doesn't take much to shoot a 3 or 5cc dart. The heifer I tried to dart a couple evenings ago deflected a 7cc dart. I brought her in and put her in the chute. It was surprising how tough her hide was. No wonder the dart bounced off. You'll be surprised how hard it is to pump the air rifle. 5 pumps and you'll need more wheaties! I've never used more than 5 pumps--mostly cause I'm not sure I could get 6 or 7!

You mentioned on how hard it is to pump.
My son is friends with the dealer up here and he went to a guys place complaining on how hard to pump it was. Turns out he never oiled the slide where it pumps. Not in the Air hole but where the lever and spring are.Guess he even bent the lever trying. :shock:

Funny you say that...I decided to oil mine this morning before heading to the pasture. I had to dart one calf--Glory what a great day, Thank You God-anyway, that thing sure pumped easier! :oops: Is there something in the directions I missed about oiling the slide or is it just something everybody knows :dunce: 'cept me??

DejaVu said:
Funny you say that...I decided to oil mine this morning before heading to the pasture. I had to dart one calf--Glory what a great day, Thank You God-anyway, that thing sure pumped easier! :oops: Is there something in the directions I missed about oiling the slide or is it just something everybody knows :dunce: 'cept me??

I knew there was oil in the case but I forgot about it until my son mentioned it.

I think they are something it takes a while to get on to and if you don't use them all the time you forget the little things. :) :D

BMR-I forgot to Thank You for making me aware of the necessity of oiling the pump mechanism. Thank You.

I do have one more question.......when you shoot a dart, do you ever see something spray out of the dart as it leaves the rifle? I'm seeing something that appears to be spray at about half way from rifle to target and am not sure what it is. I sure hope it's not the Draxxin.

I close the end of my darts with a small dab of chapstick that way it plugs it up until contact.

Yeah, I use a triple antibiotic to close mine. Don't know why-but it seems like I'm seeing something spray from the dart shortly after it leaving the rifle. Makes me wonder if the antibiotic cream isn't heavy enough to hold. grrrrrrrr

Latest posts