• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Delphia Fire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
We are in the middle of major fire...

Hopefully these links will get you up-to-date on what's been happening out here :( I hope you can see. The fire was called in at 6 AM Friday. We had lightning earlier in the morning so it was lightning caused. A firefighter crew went out to fight it, got it "out" at 50 acres. Left it to the land owner. Both knew there was a red fire alert for that day, a big cold front was moving in that afternoon and we would have 40+ MPH winds. Both the firefighting crew (who also didn't let anyone else know about the fire, even the volunteer firefighting crew in the vicinity) and the landowner LEFT THE FIRE. Winds came in and the fire blew up. So now we are 90+% burnt out. Heads are going to roll...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3568112450037.2127821.1489719369&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3575305629862.2128033.1489719369&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3577801292252.2128122.1489719369&type=1

Just made me sick today, literally, whenever I thought of you guys today.

Dealt with the DNRC on fires before and they are not worth a pinch of sh*t. They left a fire in our county one night and it took off again. They didn't tell anyone either.

Scuttlebutt from a private guy was they were rookies.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Just made me sick today, literally, whenever I thought of you guys today.

Dealt with the DNRC on fires before and they are not worth a pinch of sh*t. They left a fire in our county one night and it took off again. They didn't tell anyone either.

Scuttlebutt from a private guy was they were rookies.

The same thing happened with the Dun Mtn fire here a couple years ago. It ended burning 110,000+ acres :mad:

seems like it wasn't very many years ago there was another bad fire down there. is the old wessel place or brillhart place in the burnt area. sorry to hear about all this.

Dealt with them on a fire several years ago. Had a spot that just kept re-igniting. They sat on the hill watching myself and the poor guy I pulled off the highway try to put it out. Called for their help and got a lame azz excuse that there had been a water drop done there and nothing was flaming up.
Really what is that burning hot stuff then! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Give me the volunteers or the paid guys any day! Wish you had had one paid guy I know down there. He would have sat on that fire all day and night if needed. He is the one guy I would follow to fight the fires of h*ll.

Guy I talked with told me he was down there several years ago on a fire. DNRC would not even feed them. Told me he LOVES the ranchers down there. Their wives fed them.
Made him sick too hearing about the fire. He needs 1 person with a red card to go out and he said he would have been there.

That's really tough news! Hope ya'll will get your feet back under ya soon. Wish there was a way for us to help. We have the same wonderful troubles with the BLM out here. :mad: Stay safe and keep your chin up. :cry:

Gosh, Hanta Yo, your links no longer work.

I hope you get the fires out and for good!! Glad you had a line around
your buildings, at least they aren't gone. I know it's hard losing your
grazing ground. Good thing we don't know what's ahead for us. Wish
there was something we could do to help. Is there anything?

We were in Wyoming Sunday and Monday and saw smoke on the Big
Horns. I called 9-11 and was told that was the same fire that had
been burning for two weeks and that the forest service was "watching
it.
:mad:

It is supposed to be 100 degrees today and tomorrow with WIND.
It made it to 100 today. I imagine it is the same there.

Hanta Yo the DNRC people you have are different than the ones I deal with. When they don't communicate with the other crews or the county chief they are breaking their own rules that they set out in the training sessions. I have had landowners not stay on fires as good as they should. As I understand it once the fire is turned over to the landowner he is responsible if it gets away. I have worked with BLM crews a couple of times on my place and got along well with them but I was the Incident Comander too.

Record 100+ degree temps yesterday- near the same today with a dry cold front that moved thru the state today bringing winds gusting over 30mph.. And looking at the TV news- fires almost contained are flaring back up- and several new ones are being reported....

Governor Declares Statewide Emergency

By The Associated Press

Story Published: Aug 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM MDT

(Story Updated: Aug 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM MDT )

MONTANA - Extreme fire conditions have prompted Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer to declare a statewide emergency.

The Democratic governor signed the emergency declaration on Wednesday. It allows him to authorize the use of state resources and the Montana National Guard to protect life, health and property.

Schweitzer says in a statement that every precaution must be taken because there is no definitive end in sight for the above-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation. He says the fire season could last through the end of September or later.

Fires were burning across the state on Wednesday, fueled by red-flag conditions. Evacuations were ordered in parts of Jefferson, Stillwater and Carbon counties as wildfires threatened homes in those areas.

I wonder if this means they will close the archery and upland bird seasons that are due to open on Monday ?

Hereford76 said:
seems like it wasn't very many years ago there was another bad fire down there. is the old wessel place or brillhart place in the burnt area. sorry to hear about all this.

Hereford 76, neither Wessels nor Brillharts were hurt in the fire.

Cedarcreek said:
Hanta Yo the DNRC people you have are different than the ones I deal with. When they don't communicate with the other crews or the county chief they are breaking their own rules that they set out in the training sessions. I have had landowners not stay on fires as good as they should. As I understand it once the fire is turned over to the landowner he is responsible if it gets away. I have worked with BLM crews a couple of times on my place and got along well with them but I was the Incident Comander too.

Cedarcreek, it wasn't DNRC, it was the Rdup fire dept who thought they had it out at 3 acres. Turned it over to the landowner, yeah right, we KNOW the landowner but the fire dept didn't let our local volunteer fire dept know even though it was in their jurisdiction. If they'd have known, they would have watched that 3 acres like hawks all afternoon knowing of the red flag alert for winds. So even if it was another lightning strike or the thing blew up, our local volunteer fire dept would have been right on it.

Latest posts