• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dixie Chicks Shoulda Kept Mouth Shut

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Initial ticket sales for the Dixie Chicks' upcoming tour are far below expectations and several dates will likely be canceled or postoned.

Ticket counts for the 20-plus arena shows that went on sale last weekend were averaging 5,000-6,000 per show in major markets and less in secondaries, according to sources contacted by Billboard. Venue capacities on the tour generally top 15,000.

In contrast, the band's new album, "Taking the Long Way," sold 526,000 units in its first week, according to Nielsen Soundscan, the third-largest sales week of 2006. The album logged a second week in the period ended June 4, according to sales data issued Wednesday.

Despite those numbers, early ticket sales are clearly not meeting projections. The plug was pulled on public on-sales for shows in Indianapolis (August 23), Oklahoma City (September 26), Memphis (September 27) and Houston (September 30) because of tepid pre-sales in a national promotion with Target stores.

The Memphis show has been pulled off the route and the status of the shows in Indianapolis, Houston and Oklahoma City remains uncertain. Industry speculation has it that much or all of the tour may be postponed. At the very least, it is likely routing and capacity will be reconfigured.

Early ticket sales for this tour are in marked contrast to the Chicks' last proper outing in 2003 when a national on-sale moved some 867,000 tickets the first weekend, and second shows were added in several markets. The Chicks ended up with the top-grossing country tour of 2003 at $62 million.

But not all shows on this tour are below projections. "We're happy (with our on-sale) and comparatively seem to be ahead of most," says John Page, Global Spectrum COO/GM at Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, where the trio is booked for July 25. A second date was added for the Air Canada Center in Toronto, where the first show sold out in eight minutes. "Canada loves the Chicks," says ACC booking director Patti-Ann Tarlton.

After two shows in London, the North American tour was set to begin July 21 in Detroit. But with ticket sales below expectations, it is possible the route and capacities may be further reconfigured. The Chicks are managed by Simon Renshaw and booked by Rob Light at Creative Artists Agency, both of whom declined to comment.

Philadelphia, London, Toronto, L.A. and NYC are good places for those little girls to stay........

katrina said:
I heard that liberals who never buy country cds are buying the chicken sh**'s cd......They are toast.............

I saw the other day that the Armed Forces Radio network is planning to take most country music programs off and put on more rap and hip hop :shock: .

Link:

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36735&archive=true

Who cares,they are allowed thier opinion,as people are allowed thiers to buy cd's or not...If they said nice things about george bush would that sell more records..You people bitch about the craziest things here..Your a closed minded bunch who revel in hypocracy...You all say you respect the right to free speech.but only if it is about things you deem worthy to the midwest bible belting world..You people ran off Steveb,just because he dissagreed with you all...Now the dickie chicks are bad people cause they are vocal in their dissilike of certain political decisions their leader made.Wow,you may not like their words,but you should respect thier rights to say them.

nonothing said:
Who cares,they are allowed thier opinion,as people are allowed thiers to buy cd's or not...If they said nice things about george bush would that sell more records..You people bitch about the craziest things here..Your a closed minded bunch who revel in hypocracy...You all say you respect the right to free speech.but only if it is about things you deem worthy to the midwest bible belting world..You people ran off Steveb,just because he dissagreed with you all...Now the dickie chicks are bad people cause they are vocal in their dissilike of certain political decisions their leader made.Wow,you may not like their words,but you should respect thier rights to say them.
Did you and a few of your other friend posters ever stop and think maybe,just maybe YOU GUYS are the closed minded ones?Hmmm did you?Just because we don't think and agree with you all we're closed minded, I don't know but thats the way I see things,nothing wrong with an opinion and freedom of speech THATS WHAT THE ONES ON THIS THREAD ARE DOING,using thier freedom of speech just because you don't like what they say DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CLOSED MINDED..GET THAT????!!!

nonothing said:

They have every right to speak their mind just like every other AMERICAN, but heres where they messed up in my opinion. If I'm not mistaken they made their idiotic statement in a foriegn country about our President, while in a time of WAR. Now I'm not sure how y'all do it in bc (?) :roll: but here it obviously didn't sit to well. People pay to hear them sing not talk politics.

Just because they are allowed their opinion doesn't mean others have to agree with them.

:wink:

Simple solution....if you don't like them, their music, politcs or hairstyles....dont' go their concerts or buy their CD's.

I think the only thing that was actually said about/against GW was that they were ashamed that he was from Texas. I think ithings just snowballed from there like the game of gossip....it got re told and got bigger and bad-er each and every time.

reader (the Second) said:
No but just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you have to hate their music.

How many of you see Tom Cruise's movies and love them?

How many of you abhore his Scientologist beliefs and how he flaunts them and tries to influence the public?

I could go on and on on both sides of the political spectrum with actors and actresses who are annoying vocal on things they should keep quiet about.

It would be a dull world if I only read books, read articles, saw movies, and listened to music of people whose political views did not offend me.

I don't think it's necessarily a Republican/demo-crat thing, it's just not something they should have said given the circumstances.

reader (the Second) said:
No but just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you have to hate their music.

How many of you see Tom Cruise's movies and love them?

How many of you abhore his Scientologist beliefs and how he flaunts them and tries to influence the public?

I could go on and on on both sides of the political spectrum with actors and actresses who are annoying vocal on things they should keep quiet about.

It would be a dull world if I only read books, read articles, saw movies, and listened to music of people whose political views did not offend me.
You see thats where your missing the point..everyone has a right to say and do what they want without being attacked for being closed minded,OMG shock of all shock my sis,love her more then anything is a liberal,I'm not a huge George Bush fan,but support the troops more then anything, I know gay people and like some of them, know people who have had abortions,don't shun them,could go on and on,its the generalisation I HATE on here about just because someone feels one way does not mean they are closed minded.

I saw the other day that the Armed Forces Radio network is planning to take most country music programs off and put on more rap and hip hop .

An interesting note. More years ago than I care to remember, I was a ground-pounder in Germany facing off against the Soviet threat.

Our main radio was, at that time, American Forces Network, since changed to Armed Forces Network. The music, mostly country and western was broadcast from Frankfurt, Germany.

Some years later, while working as a civilian in Germany, I had an opportunity to tour the broadcast facility.

At that time, and probably still is, AFN had the most complete music library on the planet. A complimentary copy of every commercial record made was provided to AFN. There were a lot of classical records that probably never were played over the air.

theHiredMansWife said:
I can't believe how many of you "don't care" about the DC's but continue to devote pages and pages of board space to them. :roll:

:roll: :roll: Pages and pages? :???: There have only been two pages "devoted", as you put it, to them and I thought that was what this board was for? :?
:shock: Open discussion. :shock:

nonothing said:

The Chics are quite allowed to speak their piece. But their fans have punished their "running down of the U.S. of A. and the leadership of the country" - the fans have obviously voted with their feet.

Any old soldier would tell you that "I may not agree with what you say and what you think, but I will defend your right to say and think whatever you want until my dying breathe".

What you are seeing here on these boards is free specch being practised. What you are experiencing here is what people have died for. Appreciate that!

I can say for certain it is appreciated in the U.S. of A. - perhaps more than you will ever understand.

So it seems to me that you have displayed your lack of knowledge when it comes to free speech.

Perhaps it is only free when YOU agree with it?

B.C.

Again broke cowboy you go on like your the only one who understands the fight for free speech..This latest war is not about freedom of speech.I like many others ,lost family members to the wars that truely were about freedom.You know nothing of me,but what you precieve,Granted preception is stronger than truth and when you attack me it rarely is about the truth of my thoughts.I am sorry you dont get the respect you deserve.I respect you just for pulling on your countries colors of war...What you did was not only brave at the time but, the scars it seems you carry now, i am honestly sorry for..If i am off base here my apologies.but i am not about hating anything other than un-needed death..There is no piont in aguring with you on the freedom of speech issue or any other issue for that matter.Your outwardly dislike and lack of respect for me is evident and noted..So i wont say anything eles to you but sorry and godspeed ...

nonothing"
This latest war is not about freedom of speech.
I disagree with you there... How much free speach did Saddam allow? How much would Osama allow if his groups win ? We already know how much al Zarqawi allowed before he cut your head off :roll: ...

This may be the most important World War we have ever fought.....

I will do something I rarely do - respond by line.

nonothing said:
Again broke cowboy you go on like your the only one who understands the fight for free speech..This latest war is not about freedom of speech.

Actually it is one of the main things. You do not realize this because you have never been subject to the likes of someone who would kill you for speaking out against the leader or ruler of the day. I admit I have not either - but I have seen the results.

I like many others ,lost family members to the wars that truely were about freedom.

You have not honoured that - at least in my opinion. And quite likely others. Remember, you were the person to attack those who were simply speaking their mind on the Chics

You know nothing of me,but what you precieve,

To date I have seen nothing other than left wing self serving, self righteous arrogance - poking fun at those who have spoken their mind - and pretending you are above it all.

Granted preception is stronger than truth

Interesting - when I consider this statement I do not agree - but it allows me to understand you a bit better.

and when you attack me it rarely is about the truth of my thoughts.

Actually, you only think I attack you. If I were to attack it would not be with words. When I speak my piece about your writings and your attitudes it is an attempt to show you there are other ways, other means and you enjoy the rights you have because rough people have done tough things - allowing you safety in your home. I do not believe you to be one who would think of that very often.

dont get the respect you deserve.

Believe it or not I do not worry about this issue. What I worry about is folks like you reducing - bit by bit by bit the rights we have today.

I respect you just for pulling on your countries colors of war...What you did was not only brave at the time but,

Thanks but you have completely missed my point. I wonder why?

the scars it seems you carry now,

You may think I am scarred - I do not. Ever been to a veterans hospital? There are the scars. I am simply outspoken because I see people like you every day - acting like your way is the only way and if us plain folks do not comply we are somehow beneath you.

i am honestly sorry for..If i am off base here my apologies.

Pity? Do I smell pity? Hardly worth the consideration.

but i am not about hating anything other than un-needed death..

When you are in a fight to the death there is no such thing as a needless death. You cannot negotiate your way to peace in all circumstances. When it is hot and heavy you want to kill them all and let God sort it out.

Negotiations only take place when your knee is in his chest and your knife is at his throat. Period. That is one of the few times the enemy is willing to negotiate.

Weakness causes things like the Chamberlaine negotiating with Hitler before the war - do you know the statement "peace in our time" from 1939? Shows what negotiations can do.

Perhaps you would care to ask the opponent how he feels about needless death? If he is even willing to consider it.

here is no piont in aguring with you on the freedom of speech issue or any other issue for that matter.Your outwardly dislike and lack of respect for me is evident and noted..

Interesting that you would bring up freedom of speech now.

The only reason you got a response, is because YOU ACCUSED people here of being closed minded and hypocritical.

If you had not done this I would not have made my response to you. I simply proved that you were not as angelic as you let on.

And you did that from your pulpit of superiority and arrogance. And the best part of this whole thing is you cannot even see that. Not one person was even worried about you - until you poked your head in the room and started the name calling.

We live very differently. You earn respect. You do not get it given to you. You decided we were not worthy and therefore you needed to provide some righteous guidance.

I do not think we need guidance and I do not believe you are as righteous as you claim.

I believe it was Faster Horses who told you if you do not like the topic you could find your own way out. It would not have come to this if you had not cast the stone. But I suppose your house is not made of glass.

So i wont say anything eles to you but sorry and godspeed ...

No applogy required and no pity needed. But I will take a blessing any time I can get it - we all need them from time to time.[/quote]

To all,

Sorry about the length of response and sory to get off the topic of the Chics. I simply could not let this one go without my own response.

B.C.

Good response Broke Cowboy. I've been following this thread and wanting to say something similar, but you worded it so much better than I could.

Freedom of speech means we all can say what we want, but we must be RESPONSIBLE for what we say.

If you don't like what someone else is saying, you have the right to say so. But sometimes you might have to back up your words with actions. Many are not willing to do so.

Our fighting forces are do just that thing.

Latest posts