• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do Pediatricians views count?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe

Reaction score
National Pediatricians Group: Children Of Same-Sex Parents Harmed By Gay Marriage Bans
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

July 5, 2006 - 5:00 pm ET

(Washington) The nation's largest pediatricians group said Wednesday that children would benefit from the legalization of same-sex marriage.

In a 16-page report the American Academy of Pediatrics found that children of same-sex parents do better in areas of the country which recognize their parents' relationships.

"Children of same-gender parents often experience economic, legal, and familial insecurity as a result of the absence of legal recognition of their bonds to nonbiological parents" and that "legal recognition of a [same-gender] spouse can increase the ability of adult couples to provide and care for one another and fosters a nurturing and secure environment for their children," the report said.

Titled "The Effects of Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership Laws on the Health and Well-Being of Children" the report was commissioned by the American Academy of Pediatrics Board of Directors.

"As children, many gay and lesbian persons experience considerable isolation, peer rejection, ridicule, harassment, and/or depression at some time," the report noted. "At least 47% of gay and lesbian teens have seriously considered suicide, and 36% have actually attempted suicide.23 They may experience rejection by their families, homelessness, maltreatment in school, and violence. As adults, gay and lesbian people continue to experience social marginalization, discrimination, and hate-crime violence.

"Nationwide political and religious debate over samegender marriage has intensified an already unstable climate for gay men and lesbians in our society. The lack of societal tolerance, acceptance, and support that gay and lesbian individuals, couples, and their children experience can and does affect their psychosocial and physical health and safety."

The report was published Wednesday in the July of the AAP journal Pediatrics.

With 55,000 members, the AAP is the largest and most influential professional organization for pediatricians in the United States.

"The nation's largest organization for pediatricians knows what it's talking about: marriage is good for all families," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese.

"The Academy's report is based on solid research showing that sexual orientation makes no difference when it comes to parenting and they aren't alone in that finding. Every single credible child welfare organization has said that sexual orientation has nothing to do with the ability to be a good parent. It's having a loving home that matters."

The report also was hailed by gays in the medical profession.

"This report confirms what all parents know: that it's love that makes a family," said Gay and Lesbian Medical Association Executive Director, Joel Ginsberg.

"State and federal legislators who say they're trying to 'protect' children by sponsoring constitutional amendments to ban same-sex marriage are not just wrong, they are actively harming the health and well-being of all our children."

What does define a family in today's society? Who has the right to say what is and what isn't a family? Just curious.

Society has the right to define marriage and a family. The problem right now is that a small group of intolerant wackos are trying to force their beliefs on everyone else. I think most Americans are secure enough to accept same sex marriage. I am. I don't feel my marriage or sexuality is threatened by homosexuals. I think any child is better off in a loving home with two parents, no matter their sex. The problems the kid have are not from their parents, but from those who loudly denounce that arrangement. I was totally surprised, though, to see that Arkansas recently oked same sex foster parents! Can adoption be far behind?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/us/30gays.html?ex=1309320000&en=0e4b3d941f4cf987&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Yup, when two gays can concieve a child without any help they ought to get married.

Latest posts