• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do you get calls like this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RoperAB

Reaction score
This morning a woman called looking to buy a horse.
I asked her what she was going to use the horse for.
She said she was looking for a horse for her boyfriend that didnt know anything about horses so she was looking for a horse that wasnt so "BUMPY" to ride.

LMAO....yeppp have had them. Love the ones about colors? lol..they call and want that pretty one, with the whittish stuff on him. I had a App at the time, he was a red roan, and also had a gray in the same pasture. Hmm Whittish? I taught 4-Hers Horse Judging for over 15 yrs, I learned to start with a book, and get them to learn colors. That just got to be a pet peeve, lmao..kids will pick the purty colored one, having no clue which one it is.

That was cute Roper.....bumpy..hmm, well you got that gaited horse huh? lol

Easty

RoperAB said:
This morning a woman called looking to buy a horse.
I asked her what she was going to use the horse for.
She said she was looking for a horse for her boyfriend that didnt know anything about horses so she was looking for a horse that wasnt so "BUMPY" to ride.
And soo did you have an unbumpy horse for her boyfriend? They used to have them in the Safeway stores :lol:

Roper...love your quote,Winston Churchill was my ultimate hero :nod:

Yeah...those horses that are just right outside the door??

I think it's about a quarter to ride them ...around....and around...and around. The music is free!!!

I hope you didn't sell her one....be a shame to do a horse that way!!!

I get those kind of calls all the time. I swear they seek me out.
Its so frustrating. 98% of the people who call I wont even let come look at my horses. Yet still some slip through my screening.
About colour
I had a rich girl hear the other day looking at a buckskin. She loved the horse. But then she eyed my Palomino. As soon as she saw the Palomino that was it. Then she didnt want the buckskin.
I tried to explain to her that the palomino was not for sale. Then she is like name your price. I tried time and time again to explain to her that the palomino was not for sale for any price. Well she could not get it through her head that the horse did not have a price. Finally she left with the instructions that after I have time to think about it that I should call her at home and name my price.

roper are you in the market for some more palaminos? My daughter has 2 ,a yearling gelding and a 2yrold filly. No sure if she wants to sell the filly but make a offer. :wink:

My daughter heard me on the phone when a fellow called about a tripping horse, and I said I had 1 nice palomino he should try. Big, stout, sound, honest, fast, well finished, and gentle. My daughter was crying when I got off the phone and asked, "you're not ging to sell my horse are you daddy? I was almost crying when I had to call back with nevermind.

A good friend of mine, Jeff Smith got a call from a gal up by Topeka wanting a couple young started nice geldings. And she wanted to vet them - no biggie, started young horses haven't done anything to gimp. So Jeff dropped off 2 nice geldings for her to try. A week later he called and asked how she got along. She liked the horses but said they had a problem at the vets. the vet said they could get that "vic disease." Jeff was puzzled, but finally came up with navicular? She said yes, that was what the vet said, navicular" Jeff said those horses haven't been ridden enough to come close to navicular disease, but he'd come get them. She said "well the vet didn't say they had navicular, but big stout horses are more likely to get it." So Jeff said I'll get my horses, no problem. Then she asked jeff to bring 2 more that the vet might pass better. jeff just said, " you better buy your horses from your vet, I haven't seen the horse that can't get navicular."

Brad- Have a bald faced roping gelding that a gal was lookin at to buy. Her "trainer" told her that it wouldn't work out because he had a watch-eye! :???: (Hasn't kept him from the pay window before).

Big Muddy rancher said:
roper are you in the market for some more palaminos? My daughter has 2 ,a yearling gelding and a 2yrold filly. No sure if she wants to sell the filly but make a offer. :wink:

Well im not really in the market for colts right now. Tell you the truth if I keep getting jerked around by people I might forget all about this horse training thing all together. But if in the future im looking for colts I will PM you. I do try to buy colour colts because they do sell easier.
Example of getting jerked around. This is what happened today. This girl wanted to buy one of my horses. She wanted to pay with a personal check. I wont take personal checks. I tell everybody this up front before they even come to look at my horses. I was going to meet her in town to get the horse vet checked so when she called me to tell me what time to meet her. I reminded her that I either needed cash or a bank draft that was issued at a branch of one of the 3 banks we have in town.
Then she tells me she wants to pay with a personal check from some bank that I have never heard tell of. So I explain to her that I wont take it and that I want cash or a bank draft,etc. Well then she asks if she could pay half now and the rest later. I said sure but the horse stays with me until its paid for in full. She says okay she will pay cash for the full amount of $4500. Then she calls my wife two hours later and says she doesnt want the horse because she bought a horse from somebody else. So in other words she never did have the money.

BTW Keep the getting jerked around stories coming. Im enjoying them quite a bit. Makes it not so bad to know im not the only one.

Another "jerked around" call, which I think most everybody has gotten, is regardin young horses. We start alot colts & advertise them as such. I'd like a dollar for every call I get asking if the colt would work for a young kid :roll: Or worse yet, for someone with little experience. :???:

Or somebody coveting your proven kid';s horses and offering you $500 bucks for them. As for people buying a colt for a kid's first horse or trying to buy one off me I offer to sell them a quad with a stuck throttle and no brakes-just about as safe. I grew up friends with the local horse traders kids-his favorite trick was buying something barely broke 20 miles from home then getting us kids to ride it home for him. Almost more fun than I can stand lol.

NR-I kinda came from the same background, other than I worked for a trader when I was young. He'd put me on anything with hide & then sell it as kid broke-he'd just never say which of us got broke :lol:

L.E. I got lots of those in 4-H as well. Folks bring little Johnny on a 3 yr old and want me to make them into a team. Problem being that Little Johnny has not been riding but for a year, age 8 or 9, and they want him to train this young horse? They never understood it when I told them to take horse home, get a trainer to ride the horse. I would let Little Johnny ride one of my OLD horses and teach him to first ride. Geezz I really taught way to many years, and safety was an issue with me. Kids hated the first meeting of the year, lol, well the older kids did. I made them show the younger kids what safety was, and how to approach the horses, MY RULES....and then I stood up and parents jaw would drop. Cuz next Rule was that once those kids stepped into the arena on board a horse, they were mine then. Parents were not allowed to holler at kids.

But, yes the YOUNG HORSE and YOUNG/BEGINNER RIDER...is a huge problem with me as well.

LOL....yea folks here think they can just go buy and OLD FAITHFUL KIDS HORSE for $300, I try to show them you get what you BUY! Even use to say it to a few friends, seems now they are preaching the very thing I use to say to them. You cant go to a killer sale and buy a KIDS HORSE! you are very lucky if you come out with one that doesnt hurt the kid.

EASTY

Easty-The prices for horses is a whole new area of goofy calls. The one's that seem to haggle the price of horse flesh the most are generally drivin $44000 trucks, pullin $60000 trailers & tellin me that they only want to pay $300 for a horse. Kinda tells me what they think their kid's worth. :?

What the biggest majority of parents don't realize is just because someone owns a horse that is what they'd concider a "kid horse" doesn't mean that a totally inexperienced rider can get on and expect that horse to act the same as it does with the kid that's been ridin it for a long time.

Best thing they can do if they are buying a kid horse, one that's really a kid horse, is take that horse and that kid somewhere and have someone teach them how to ride. Kids get on em with no clue as to what cues are, and get upset cuz the horse won't do what they are tellin it. That's because they are givin what they THINK are cues...when it's mainly just sittin up there floppin around with their arms and legs. Watched a lil girl the other night...tryin to get her horse to go......what was she doin?....had hold of the reins...shakin em...and scootin in the saddle.....horse wasn't movin...other than pennin his ears back.
Lotta good horses get ruined and soured because kids are on em with no clue.
LOL as for the 44,000 dollar trucks and the 60,000 dollar trailers, I've seen those.....all I can say is......more money than sense.

We got an old mare-actuasly the last one that foaled-anybody can ride her and she gets pretty lonesome-if she does run she just heads to nearest horse-only happened once in 17 years. She was a pretty good pasture horse back in the day-first thing I roped on her was a four year olf Saler bull-that was pretty intertesting for a bit.

The ruined horses is yet another deal I've run into. Folks finally take a horse and call back months later and want to reject the horse cuz they can't get along with it. This is after every kid, wannabe trainer, aunt & uncle has rode the poor ole horse & now he's conterfeit :???:

Latest posts