• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dodge? Cummins ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Had an incident with my truck. A piece of the fan shroud must of flipped up and hit a fan blade bending it into the Rad.
Question is how does the fan clutch come off and what size wrench or special tools do you need?
It has not been a good week but nobody has been hurt so can be thatk ful for that.

fastest way is a cutting torch....

isn't the shroud plastic? I can't see that bending a fan blade. I once had a stick hit the tire, flip up and beat the fan to hell.

Jigs,there is a piece of the shroud missing so i assumed that is what bent the blade. fairly heavy plastic. No matter i still need to get the clutch disconnected from the engine. . The clutch is fine so could be reused just need fan and rad.

10mm wrench will take the fan off the clutch. Not sure on the radiator, but it probably won't be bad at all. If you have another radiator ready, it should only take about an hour. I'd say to have a metric and SAE wrench set handy.

Good luck.

REMOVAL
CAUTION: If the viscous fan drive is replaced because of mechanical damage, the cooling fan blades should also be inspected. Inspect for fatigue cracks, loose blades, or loose rivets that could have resulted from excessive vibration. Replace fan blade assembly if any of these conditions are found. Also inspect water pump bearing and shaft assembly for any related damage due to a viscous fan drive malfunction.

Disconnect the battery negative cables.
Drain enough coolant to be able to remove the upper radiator hose.
Remove the upper radiator hose.
Remove the fan shroud mounting bolts. Position fan shroud towards engine.
CAUTION: Do not remove the fan pulley bolts. This pulley is under spring tension.

The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to the fan hub shaft (Fan Blade/Viscous Fan Drive). Remove the fan blade/fan drive assembly from fan pulley by turning the mounting nut clockwise (as viewed from front). Threads on the viscous fan drive are LEFT-HAND. A Snap-On 36 MM Fan Wrench (number SP346 from Snap-On Cummins Diesel Tool Set number 2017DSP) can be used. Place a bar or screwdriver between the fan pulley bolts to prevent pulley from rotating.
Remove the fan shroud and the fan blade/viscous drive as an assembly from vehicle.
Remove fan blade-to-viscous fan drive mounting bolts.
Inspect the fan for cracks, loose rivets, loose or bent fan blades.
CAUTION: Some engines equipped with serpentine drive belts have reverse rotating fans and viscous fan drives. They are marked with the word REVERSE to designate their usage. Installation of the wrong fan or viscous fan drive can result in engine overheating
Tom

Thanks Tom, It was the 36MM wrench that I was wondering about. I am pretty sure the clutch is OK but it has to come off to get the damaged fan off. It's to narrow to get a big Cresent wrench in there .

Thanks

Big Muddy rancher said:
Thanks Tom, It was the 36MM wrench that I was wondering about. I am pretty sure the clutch is OK but it has to come off to get the damaged fan off. It's to narrow to get a big Cresent wrench in there .

Thanks

Tam's little arm would probably fit in there better than yours, Big Muddy. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Thanks

Tam's little arm would probably fit in there better than yours, Big Muddy. :wink:

I will be sure and tell her that YOU suggested that. :wink: :lol:

I got lucky with the rad. A rad shop in Williston fixed it in 2 hours for $50. Beat $400 for a new one. Still have to buy the $27 wrench to get fan off and the rest of the parts. Little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

A 27 dollar wrench???????? :shock: :shock: What's the matter......did you lose your hammer ??? what about your fencing pliers???? Did you try a mexican micrometer????? Did you apply the proper cuss words in the right order???? That's about the limit of my mechanic knowhow so anything else will have to be done at your own risk!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

cowsense said:
A 27 dollar wrench???????? :shock: :shock: What's the matter......did you lose your hammer ??? what about your fencing pliers???? Did you try a mexican micrometer????? Did you apply the proper cuss words in the right order???? That's about the limit of my mechanic knowhow so anything else will have to be done at your own risk!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Gee like I never thought of those things. Your so helpful. :roll:

The mexican Micrometer is to thick to fit the spot. I need to put it back on so rules out the torch and hammer.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Still have to buy the $27 wrench to get fan off and the rest of the parts.

Hey, BMR, won't your local Dodge dealer lend you a wrench? It'll beat buying that goofy thing that you may never use again.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Still have to buy the $27 wrench to get fan off and the rest of the parts.

Hey, BMR, won't your local Dodge dealer lend you a wrench? It'll beat buying that goofy thing that you may never use again.

Rod

It's only $27 the shops here charge $80 an hour I can buy alot of odd tools for what they charge....I have a couple of those wrenches they come with a Vacumm pump kit we install here we get one with each kit.

Denny said:
It's only $27 the shops here charge $80 an hour I can buy alot of odd tools for what they charge....

Definitely not recommending he pay someone 80 bucks an hour to do a fairly simple job, only that he go borrow the necessary tool. Our local Dodge dealer has a set of shop tools that they often lend out. Pretty good shop in that they'll even photocopy pages of a shop manual for you.

Rod

We are 90 miles from the local Dodge dealer but I found one I can borrow from the John Deere mechanics in Plentwood. One is my nephew and the other i have known since he was a little kid. Cann't find many used parts for those truck had to buy knew shroud and fan blades. They aren't cheap.

Faster horses said:
You never did tell us the story of what happened, only that no
one was hurt. Which we were glad to hear.

Sooooooooooo, what happened?

It was just one of those weeks. My son had hit a coyote and put a bird thru the grill on his pickup ,then he was at a party and someone snitched his wallet with his ID so he couldn't get to across the border to get back to work. I had been out putting out mineral with my Dodge and might have broke the fan shroud when i got stuck in a snow drift. My son stayed home from work to haul 20 loads of hay for me. He was making his second load on a new set of drive tires on the semi when luckily he was just 12 miles from home on a 60 mile haul 2 tires turned on the hub and flatened and wrecked.
He walked a mile and found a phone in a farm shop he could use and called home. I was at the stack yard waiting to unload so took off with my dodge to see what I could do to get him back on the road. When i pulled up in front of the Mack my son said look your dumping nti-freeze. That's when i found the fan blade stuck in the rad.
I did have a radio that I could call out so called Tam to come get us, called a friend close by and borrowed a big jack and wrenches, another riend had 2 tires mounted so we got the truck off the road in the daylight and had to go back with a trailer to get my truck. The semi is back on the road and the dodge is in the shop waiting parts.
Oh yea i also got a load of pellets in and after they were unloaded and signed for i saw they weren't what I ordered . After stewing about that the rest of the weekend a phone call got things straightened out . This week is going much better. I hope.

Don't you wish you hadn't asked. :wink:

Latest posts