• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

donating to Eric cantor?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
when I see a politician doing what I feel is the right thing I like to support them.. when America sees a politician standing up for what is right and supports them all at once.. everyone notices.. even the media..

while I might not agree with all the cuts.. I sure do like the fact that Obama doesn't like Cantor..

DRIVING THE DAY: CANTOR TAKES DEBT-LIMIT CHOICES TO RANK AND FILE -- House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) plans to discuss the spending cuts identified by the Biden deficit-reduction group to the full Republican Conference this morning, reprising a presentation he made for the president and congressional leaders yesterday at the White House. The reaction -- whether the cuts are seen as substantial or paltry, serious or gimmicky -- could go a long way in giving GOP leaders a better idea of what could possibly attract the majority of Republicans to back an increase in the nation's borrowing authority.

THE MENU -- Cantor told the conferees at the White House yesterday that they could achieve $1.3 trillion in savings from discretionary spending acconts just by splitting the difference between cuts in the House Republican budget and various savings in the White House budget. In addition, according to Cantor's charts, the Biden Group identified between $334 billion and $353 billion in cuts to Medicare and Medicaid and between $264 billion and $332 billion in other mandatory savings. There is significant disagreement over the numbers (Cantor talks about $2 trillion or more, the White House uses the figure $1.7 trillion and Capitol Hill Democrats say $1 trillion). Here are some of the big ticket items Cantor identified from the Biden Group's talks:

-- Up to $53 billion from prohibiting first-dollar coverage for Medigap plans or charging a premium for those who opt for the first-dollar choice (first-dollar means the plan pays for health care costs from the first dollar incurred rather than operating on a system of co-pays and deductibles).

-- $50 billion from charging co-payments or changing payments to providers of post-acute care, cost-sharing for skilled nursing facilities and home health care.

-- $100 billion from reforms to Medicare federal medical assistance percentage (FMAP).

-- Between $14 billion and $26 billion from cutting "bad debt" reimbursements to health care providers.

-- $38 billion from freezing brackets for high-income Medicare Part B and D premiums and increasing cost-sharing by 10 percent. High income Medicare beneficiaries (those whose modified adjusted gross income is over $170,000 for a married couple) pay an extra premium for hospital and prescription-drug insurance.

-- $30 billion to $32 billion from increasing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac premiums

-- $47 billion in cuts to civilian and military retirement benefits ($36 billion from civilian government employees; $11 billion from military retirees)

-- $17 billion from co-payments for prescription drugs from the military's TriCare health system

-- up to $26 billion from allowing the postal service board to hike rates

-- $15 billion from increasing TSA flight fees from $2.50 per leg of a trip to a $5 flat rate for the whole trip.

-- $31 bilion from cutting farm subsidies

-- $20 billion from the supplemental nutritional assistance program

-- up to $56 billion from Pell Grants (including $46 billion from "undergraduate interest abeyance)

10 MILLION LETTERS WRITTEN, NONE SENT -- One proposed cut would save $1.4 billion by denying eligibility for Social Security disability insurance solely based on a patient having been prescribed drugs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Huddle, who might have some personal experience with ADD, imagines advocates furiously starting to write letters to their senators and representatives only to ... hey, what's that on TV?

while these all sound good... in big dollar terms.. I would have liked to have seen a whole bunch of worthless programs cut... the real "WASTE" that we all complain about...

so instead of a bunch of meetings that are not getting anywhere.. how about getting the scalpel out and using it?

I am not sure they should be cutting the military retirements, but they do need to start cutting.

What about all the grants that they seem to give out all the time? Can't people stand on their own feet. How about the foodstamp money from the farm program. They should have never been put them in there in the first place. Or how about the subsities to the oil companies. Again, if they can't make their business run with out a handout, then work another field. Their are so many areas they can cut, but they don't seem to really want to even look.

Latest posts