• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Double Tap (not for the squeamish!)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
I love it when someone explains a complex (to some) situation in simple, easy-to-understand terms. The people who need to read this probably won't. They re the ones who insist they support our troops but want to tie their hands. Forward it to them anyway. If I were in the Marines' situation, I would probably shoot the guy with the camera first. --
Double-tap, and Move on.

This is one of those where you say ,"if this isn't true, it ought to be". I'd love to know who wrote it, but he may be keeping his head down, his eyes pealed, and his ears open.

----------------------------------
"Double Tap"

A Marine response to a simple question. Regarding the news blurb about the Marine who put two rounds ("double tap") in a wounded insurgent's head in Fallujah, here's a response from a Marine:

"It's a safety issue, pure and simple. After assaulting through a target, we put a security round in everybody's head. Sorry al-Reuters, there's no paddy wagon rolling around Fallujah picking up "prisoners" and offering them a hot cup o' joe, falafel, and a blanket. There's no time to dick around on the target. You clear the space, dump the chumps, and move on.

Are Corpsman expected to treat wounded terrorists? Negative. Hey Libs, worried about the defense budget? Well, it would be waste, fraud, and abuse for a Corpsman to expend one man-minute or a battle dressing on a terrorist. It's much cheaper to just spend the $.02 on a 5.56mm FMJ.

By the way, in our view, terrorists who chop off civilian's heads are not prisoners, they are carcasses. Chopping off a civilian's head is another reason why these idiots are known as "unlawful combatants." It seems that most of the world's journalists have forgotten that fact.

Let me be very clear about this issue. I have looked around the web, and many people get this concept, but there are some stragglers.

Here is your typical Marine sitrep (situation report): You just took fire from unlawful combatants (no uniform - breaking every Geneva Convention rule there is) shooting from a religious building attempting to use the sanctuary status of their position as protection. But you're in Fallujah now, and the Marine Corps has decided that they're not playing that game this time. That was Najaf.

So you set the mosque on fire and you hose down the terrorists with small arms, launch some AT-4s (Rockets), some 40MM grenades into the building and things quiet down. So you run over there, and find some tangos (bad guys) wounded and pretending to be dead. You are aware that suicide martyrdom is like really popular with these idiots, and they think taking some Marines with them would be really cool. So you can either risk your life and your fire team's lives by having them cover you while you bend down and search a guy that you think is pretending to be dead for some reason. Most of the time these are the guys with the grenade or a vest made of explosives. Also, you don't know who or what is in the next room. You're already speaking English to the rest of your fire team or squad which lets the terrorist know you are there and you are his enemy. You are speaking loud because your hearing is poor from shooting people for several days. So you know that there are many other rooms to enter, and that if anyone is still alive in those rooms, they know that Americans are in the mosque. Meanwhile (3 seconds later), you still have this terrorist (that was just shooting at you from a mosque) playing possum. What do you do? You double tap his head, and you go to the next room, that's what!

What about the Geneva Convention and all that 'Law of Land Warfare' stuff? What about it? Without even addressing the issues at hand, your first thought should be, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Bear in mind that this tactic of double tapping a fallen terrorist is a perpetual mindset that is reinforced by experience on a minute by minute basis. Secondly, you are fighting an unlawful combatant in a Sanctuary, which is a double No-No on his part. Third, tactically you are in no position to take "prisoners" because there are more rooms to search and clear, and the behavior of said terrorist indicates that he is up to no good. No good in Fallujah is a very large place and the low end of no good and the high end of no good are fundamentally the same ... Marines end up getting hurt or die. So there is no compelling reason for you to do anything but double tap this idiot and get on with the mission.

If you are a veteran, then everything I have just written is self evident. If you are not a veteran, at least try to put yourself in the situation. Remember, in Fallujah there is no yesterday, there is no tomorrow, there is only now, Right NOW. Have you ever lived in NOW for a week? It is really, really not easy. If you have never lived in NOW for longer than it takes to finish the big roller coaster at Six Flags, then shut your hole about putting Marines in jail for "War Crimes."

Semper Fi.

This has long been the sensible course of action, far too often a wounded CT will try to take out a soldier, prisoners hamper operations, and if wounded cost the taxpayer a fortune in medical treatment, and in our theater of operation, sending back a capture meant leaving one of your own section behind untill a chopper can return to evacuate him. On a personal note, when some jungle bunny spends 45 minutes giving all he can with an RPD, then shouts "surrender" when the last round is expended,he has to be taught that is not the way the counter-insurgency war is fought "Cheers Gook!"

what about this senario - A US soldier shoots an insurgent,the insurgent's 5 year old son is by his side, as his father is layiing there dying and the US soldier is walking up the 5 year old picks up the gun. What is the right thing to do double tap the father and walk away and possibly get shot and/or create the next terrorist, double tap them both and have to live with that on your concsience the rest of your life or call for medic's. I want to know how many think this is still alright? Afterall some of you say to hell with the geneva convention. And as far as calling your combatant terrorist that is a joke, how many US soldiers would not of come back fromWWII if the germans double tapped and didn't obey the geneva convention and take prisoners.

QUESTION said:
what about this senario - A US soldier shoots an insurgent,the insurgent's 5 year old son is by his side, as his father is layiing there dying and the US soldier is walking up the 5 year old picks up the gun. What is the right thing to do double tap the father and walk away and possibly get shot and/or create the next terrorist, double tap them both and have to live with that on your concsience the rest of your life or call for medic's. I want to know how many think this is still alright? Afterall some of you say to hell with the geneva convention. And as far as calling your combatant terrorist that is a joke, how many US soldiers would not of come back fromWWII if the germans double tapped and didn't obey the geneva convention and take prisoners.

Different lifetime different war. German soldiers never took their 5yr old sons into harms way, they were for the most part christians serving their country in a time of war the same as our soldiers in WWII.

We are now dealing with scum who encourage their children to die under the pretext of martyrdom. What a crock.

If you take a 5yr old to war you better sure as hell expect him or her to die, and you will get to answer to God for having done it. Yes, if you don't kill the child you probably have made another terrorist.

After as someone once said NITS DO GROW INTO LICE.

Save your mercy for your own, because sure as he-- the Muslim radicals will have none for them. Given the opportunity they will cut their heads off and after they send the tape to Al Jezera they will have a big celebration.

:agree:

Ask them Nam vets about children with hand grenades and booby traps.

Terrorists will use any means and do not recognize or follow the Geneva convention.

Sad for the children, but look to Africa where children are the soldiers.

You are right but only to a certain extent. The gemans were desperate as the war came to the end and historical documents showed they were enlisting boys as young as 12 years old to fight.
As for martyrdom it is for a religious fanatic yes. But it is to be expected when fighting with people who want to die for their cause. Pretty tough to claim victory when your opponent says dieing is a win. IMHO this is the vietman of the 21st century. Do you realize that no foreign force has ever conquered Iraq, Iran or Afganistan since Kubli Kahn and the mongol hoards.
I guess that is where i diifer from some i just couldn't put a gun to the head of a 5 yr. old and pull the trigger.

QUESTION said:
I guess that is where i diifer from some i just couldn't put a gun to the head of a 5 yr. old and pull the trigger.

If he had a gun on my family or a grenade he was about to throw at my family I could. I've killed little baby animals and hated it, but you do what you have to do to survive. Oh and by the way, in the Army, Navy, Marines, the guys you work with are your family.

r
QUESTION said:
You are right but only to a certain extent. The gemans were desperate as the war came to the end and historical documents showed they were enlisting boys as young as 12 years old to fight.
As for martyrdom it is for a religious fanatic yes. But it is to be expected when fighting with people who want to die for their cause. Pretty tough to claim victory when your opponent says dieing is a win. IMHO this is the vietman of the 21st century. Do you realize that no foreign force has ever conquered Iraq, Iran or Afganistan since Kubli Kahn and the mongol hoards.

And this: Citizen of EARTH is why we will ultimately lose this conflict, because you and those like you always will force this country to cut and run and all the American boys will have given their lives for nothing. War is truly war and when you are not there you can't possibly know what you would do. However there is a pretty good chance that if you just stood there and looked at that jihadist 5 year old he would shoot you and my granddchildren would not have to have this endless discussion with your grandchildren, because you would have been culled.

I honestly believe that before the decade is over we will be wishing for an enemy like the germans in wwII. At least they individually had some regard for human life. The enemy we face now are barely more socially conscious than a dog. So keep trying to reason with them, it gives them something to laugh about while they are trying to decide which of our cities they want to nuke first.

I will apologize in advance to those here whom I have offended. Though I doubt there are many.

3waycross said:
r
QUESTION said:

And this: Citizen of EARTH is why we will ultimately lose this conflict, because you and those like you always will force this country to cut and run and all the American boys will have given their lives for nothing. War is truly war and when you are not there you can't possibly know what you would do. However there is a pretty good chance that if you just stood there and looked at that jihadist 5 year old he would shoot you and my granddchildren would not have to have this endless discussion with your grandchildren, because you would have been culled.

I honestly believe that before the decade is over we will be wishing for an enemy like the germans in wwII. At least they individually had some regard for human life. The enemy we face now are barely more socially conscious than a dog. So keep trying to reason with them, it gives them something to laugh about while they are trying to decide which of our cities they want to nuke first.

I will apologize in advance to those here whom I have offended. Though I doubt there are many.

:agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said!

I agree also , you can bet i dont care race or age or sex if you were just shootin at me , and i wound you and find you , you will not be breathing for long .

azcowpuncher said:
I agree also , you can bet i dont care race or age or sex if you were just shootin at me , and i wound you and find you , you will not be breathing for long .

It's only reasonable to put something wonded out of it's misery. To do less would be inhumane! :)

Jinglebob said:
:agree:

Ask them Nam vets about children with hand grenades and booby traps.

Terrorists will use any means and do not recognize or follow the Geneva convention.

Sad for the children, but look to Africa where children are the soldiers.

This was exactly the poblem we faced, especially with the Chinese/Korean trained ZANLA terrorists. Children (Mujibas) were used to gather information, seek out OP's , monitor rural roads for military traffic etc, by eight years old, they were lobbing grenades into vehicles, civilian or military, and planting mines and booby traps, by twelve they would be out of the country for full military training. In the heat of a firefight there isn't time to make moral judgements,as a result civilians assisting the terrorists often were "caught in crossfire" and became casualties by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, armed juveniles were legitimate tsrgets, regretable, but that is the reality of counter insurgency warefare.

Maybe i am out to lunch but if this is a war what country have you all declared war on and who from that country can stop it by signing a peace declaration. The truth is this is turning into crusade it is against muslims. That is a religious sect not a country. You are fighting an idea. Just like Vietnam. And we all know how well that has worked. Hey we have canadians in afganistan who are dying as well, and trying to work with the civillians isn't working. It is apparent this was a bad decision and have now that it is appaernt it isn't doing any good will be leaving in 09. Think about it the oil you guys are buying from the middle east is paying for your emeny's weaponds so in essence you guys are arming your opponent. It is a viscious cycle. It seems to be making the military industrial complex alot of money at least. As far as killing child soldiers yeah it is a part of guerilla warfare but not a very appealing one. How many of those childern who survive will become the terrorists of the future. Maybe the focus should have been on getting rid of the taliban, alqeda, and Bin Ladden instead of starting something new in iraq. All i can say this looks to be a bad thing that is getting worse. Hopefully there isn't another country on your list. We did this 40 years ago in palastine and still have troops there that still die hopefully you guys are not going to be sending troops to Iraq for 40 years as well. But do what ever you guys want. You guys will have to deal with what is going on now for years ahead.

The truth is this is turning into crusade it is against muslims. That is a religious sect not a country.

It seems that no matter what answer is given you will not change your views....

War has never been about ideals, it has always been about killing, and greed..Hopefully the side with the better set of values wins...

the Radical islamic Terrorists don't care what you think,..they would use your concern for others as propaganda then be-head you when they tired of your whining....while that doesn't answer your hypothetical question about a child, of whom I would not kill unless I absolutely had to and it would bother me for the rest of my life... Now could you answer my question...

now for My question...

You want to stop the war,..so you travel to Iraq to "protest" and stop the killing... soon after arriving the Radical islamic Terrorist kidnap you..after using you for propaganda,..they decide to use you in your final video as a recruiting tool..

Right before they be-head you, a young marine bursts though the door..he wounds all of the Radical islamic Terrorists,..

But you are booby trapped with explosives..and the timer is at twenty nine seconds.

Should he get a medic for the wounded terrorists?...or double tap them so he can release you?...

QUESTION said:
Maybe i am out to lunch but if this is a war what country have you all declared war on and who from that country can stop it by signing a peace declaration. The truth is this is turning into crusade it is against muslims. That is a religious sect not a country. You are fighting an idea. Just like Vietnam. And we all know how well that has worked. Hey we have canadians in afganistan who are dying as well, and trying to work with the civillians isn't working. It is apparent this was a bad decision and have now that it is appaernt it isn't doing any good will be leaving in 09. Think about it the oil you guys are buying from the middle east is paying for your emeny's weaponds so in essence you guys are arming your opponent. It is a viscious cycle. It seems to be making the military industrial complex alot of money at least. As far as killing child soldiers yeah it is a part of guerilla warfare but not a very appealing one. How many of those childern who survive will become the terrorists of the future. Maybe the focus should have been on getting rid of the taliban, alqeda, and Bin Ladden instead of starting something new in iraq. All i can say this looks to be a bad thing that is getting worse. Hopefully there isn't another country on your list. We did this 40 years ago in palastine and still have troops there that still die hopefully you guys are not going to be sending troops to Iraq for 40 years as well. But do what ever you guys want. You guys will have to deal with what is going on now for years ahead.

I give you two words. NEVILLE CHAMBERLIN.

I also have one last question for you and then I will decline to participate in any more waste of time arguments with you CITIZEN OF EARTH.

When did the school bully stop taking everyones lunch money. When it made him a fine living everyday, or WHEN SOMEBODY GOT ENOUGH OF BEING ATTACKED, PUSHED AROUND, OR JUST CONSTANTLY MESSED WITH, AND PUNCHED THE SOB IN THE NOSE. We (AMERICANS), and I'm guessing you're not, are tired of being blamed for everything and getting credit for nothing good. Frankly I don't care where you're from, but if you don't have a dog in this fight GO HOME and take your TOUCHY FEELEY opinions with you. We're not taking anymore s--t from anyone.

Latest posts