• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Early Breeding - Help

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ezeranch

Reaction score
We weaned calves this past weekend. One of the heifers who is only 6 months old came into heat two days ago. We had the weanlings in a pen and when I went to check on them yesterday morning that heifer had gone through the fence and was in with the bulls. We were able to get her penned again yesterday afternoon and got the bulls moved to a further pasture. I don't know for sure if she got bred but she was bleeding slightly and walking like she was in a little pain. She seems to be doing fine this morning but I don't want her to calve at 15 months. I am thinking about giving her a dose of Lutalyse but I don't know how much to give a 6 month old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Call your vet and give them the details and they'll give you the right amt to give or maybe another solution.

That's why they go to school all them yrs anyway....so answer questions and solve problems.

It's always good advice to call your vet.

But if I had your problem and couldn't find my vet, I'd wait at least a week and give her five ml.

I agree with Buyer, most Vets are just practicians and would have to look it up anyway. From experience with multiple cattleman / dairyman this is what you should do.

Read the label. 5cc's of Lutalyse for any age or size female bovine; heifer or cow. Wait 7-8 days past her heat before giving the shot (she has to have a mature CL or she won't respond to Lute), and then make sure she can't get out of the pen! She'll be back in heat 24-72 hours after giving the shot of Lute.

Just a note - the blood is a sign that she really was in heat. It's normal and has nothing to do with the breeding. I agree with the others about the Lutalyse. Just make sure you don't give it too soon, or it won't work. Watching her until you see her come into heat again is the surest way of knowing it worked. If you don't see another heat in a month or two, give her another dose. It will work just fine even then.

Latest posts