• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Eastern Montana cows and calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

QUERY TO SOAPWEED:

PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH THE REASONING BEHIND BUYING NEW BULLS
EACH SPRING. OF COURSE ANY BULL THAT DOES NOT PERFORM MUST GO BUT DON'T YOU LOSE SOME CONSISTENCY BY PUTTING IN NEW GENITICS EACH YEAR?

I ASK THE QUESTION FROM THE STANDPOINT OF LOOKING FOR A BETTER METHOD THAN I AM NOW USING.

THANKS

woody said:
QUERY TO SOAPWEED:

PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH THE REASONING BEHIND BUYING NEW BULLS
EACH SPRING. OF COURSE ANY BULL THAT DOES NOT PERFORM MUST GO BUT DON'T YOU LOSE SOME CONSISTENCY BY PUTTING IN NEW GENITICS EACH YEAR?

I ASK THE QUESTION FROM THE STANDPOINT OF LOOKING FOR A BETTER METHOD THAN I AM NOW USING.

THANKS

My theory is to buy fairly high quality, but reasonably priced yearling bulls, and then sell them after the first breeding season. By obtaining bulls from the same sources, some consistency is maintained. The advantages are that yearling bulls are easier to handle than older bulls, a winter feed bill is saved, and diseases such as trich are minimized. Yearling bulls in the fall after breeding season are worth just as much as are two year old bulls after two seasons. The yearlings are worth quite a bit more per pound, even though two year olds weigh more. The yearlings are banded and put on feed. It is nice not having bulls to contend with the nine months that I don't need them. "Owning" them during breeding season turns out to be much cheaper than leasing bulls.

Faster Horses/Haymaker,
are you sure those sleek cattled aren't being curried and shampooed daily? Wonder if Vigortone would work on my hair. :?

nr said:
Faster Horses/Haymaker,
are you sure those sleek cattled aren't being curried and shampooed daily? Wonder if Vigortone would work on my hair. :?

My grandson says it tastes good- I haven't went that far- smells good tho... :D

Yea, it does smell good enough to eat.

I had a fella tell me that for all the good things it does for cattle, he thought he should be eating it for breakfast! :wink:

If anyone wants to pm me their mineral tag, I will be happy to go through it with them, now that I am home and have my mind back on every day things.

Faster horses said:
Yea, it does smell good enough to eat.

I had a fella tell me that for all the good things it does for cattle, he thought he should be eating it for breakfast! :wink:

If anyone wants to pm me their mineral tag, I will be happy to go through it with them, now that I am home and have my mind back on every day things.
FH, you need to post some pictures of your cows.

Hey Cal, go to the first post under this topic. Those are our cows. I couldn't figure out how to get them on here and haymaker helped me, that is why his name is in the author column.

Now that I have some of the crisis in my life taken care of for the time being and have found my digital camera, perhaps I can concentrate on how to get pictures on here. In the meantime, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again, haymaker.

Sorry for missing that FH. Great looking and shiny! Maybe I better send a tag to you as well.

Latest posts