• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Election Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Here we go again, 34 days to election, short and sweet.
My hope is a majority C govt so they can follow through with the policies they promised last time. :roll:
Dion leaves far tooooo much to be desired. :dunce:

gcreekrch said:
Here we go again, 34 days to election, short and sweet.
My hope is a majority C govt so they can follow through with the policies they promised last time. :roll:
Dion leaves far tooooo much to be desired. :dunce:

:agree:

We can only hope the Conserv's get in with a majority government!!!!!!!!!

Dion IMO is a complete idiot,then theres Layton thats worse :roll: :roll:

Hey, our election in Canada is over before the US one. Could you Americans lend us Palin for a week or two. :D

Mrs.Greg said:
per said:
Hey, our election in Canada is over before the US one. Could you Americans lend us Palin for a week or two. :D
:nod: :nod: Pretty Please :pretty:

There are a heckuva lot of people down here that would LOVE to give you Palin! :lol: She has energized the campaign in a way many didn't want to see. It'll be a fun ride!

Seriously, can't speak for everyone, but I'd like to hear more about YOUR election. We Americans tend to forget that there are important things going on outside our borders that will affect us, too.

And if you want to throw in some dirt, lies, and all around mudslinging, we won't mind a bit. We thrive on it! :wink:

Mrs.Greg said:
per said:

You can have Palin if we can have your short campaigns...I heard the news pundits already talking about the 2010 and 2012 elections...
But the media loves these non stop campaigns- gives them something to talk about- and makes them Billions $..

VanC said:
Mrs.Greg said:
per said:

There are a heckuva lot of people down here that would LOVE to give you Palin! :lol: She has energized the campaign in a way many didn't want to see. It'll be a fun ride!

Seriously, can't speak for everyone, but I'd like to hear more about YOUR election. We Americans tend to forget that there are important things going on outside our borders that will affect us, too.

And if you want to throw in some dirt, lies, and all around mudslinging, we won't mind a bit. We thrive on it! :wink:
The story is this election is going to get nasty,lol,nasty compared to yours...I don't think so. One VERY rarely hears about the politians families,they seem to off limits{which IMO is a great thing!!!}

Guess we'll hear Harpers too conservative and religious....Dions too French......Laytons too Stupid{my words,and he is, trust me,hows that for nasty....lol}

Our election would BOOM with Palin,you guys are lucky to have her!!!!!Shes close enough to us that her being in office can't help but be a good thing for Canada.

Mrs.Greg said:

I will root for that! For you and us!

Mrs.Greg said:
VanC said:
Mrs.Greg said:

The story is this election is going to get nasty,lol,nasty compared to yours...I don't think so. One VERY rarely hears about the politians families,they seem to off limits{which IMO is a great thing!!!}

Guess we'll hear Harpers too conservative and religious....Dions too French......Laytons too Stupid{my words,and he is, trust me,hows that for nasty....lol}

Our election would BOOM with Palin,you guys are lucky to have her!!!!!Shes close enough to us that her being in office can't help but be a good thing for Canada.

If she gets in the Canadians will be hearing alot about her, she wants to run a natural gas pipeline from Alaska across Canada down into the lower 48. Buying alot of the gas from Canada she says and I quote; We should be giving the business to our friendly neighbors to the north not some radicals that want us all dead! :D

SHAWN said:
Mrs.Greg said:
VanC said:

If she gets in the Canadians will be hearing alot about her, she wants to run a natural gas pipeline from Alaska across Canada down into the lower 48. Buying alot of the gas from Canada she says and I quote; We should be giving the business to our friendly neighbors to the north not some radicals that want us all dead! :D
:D I LOVE her!!!!!!!! :wink:

Our Prime Ministers choices are:

Current sitting Prime Minister Steven Harper. MA in economics. IMO, boring, intelligent and an excellent PM. Has a couple of kids and a wife. She is a country gal who's brothers are excellent competition at antique tractor pulls here in Alberta. He is very conservative and a little stoic. Fluent in English and French.

Opposition leader Stephan Dion. Liberal, cabinet experience in previous liberal government. PhD in Political Science. His plan to save the world is to break those of us who produce things by a carbon tax called the Green Shift Plan. Is currently being sued by a legitimate environmental company who has dibs on the Green Shift name. He has a wife, an adopted child and a dog named Kyoto (not kidding). He speaks fluent French and broken English.

NDP leader Jack Layton. (Left wing union type party) also has a PhD in political science. He stands for not standing for whatever anyone else is standing for. Usually way left of Liberal. Has a wife who is also an MP and was a Toronto City Councillor. He speaks fluent English, French and his wife's native tongue which I think is Mandarin.

Of course what would an election be without the other fringe party the Green Party. Elisabeth May is in charge of the Green Party a left on the environment and right on economics party. She is a Lawyer was the president of the Canadian wing of the Sierra Club for several years and also worked for former conservative PM Brian Mulroney. (must be a lawyer thing) She has a daughter and does not own a car and has resisted the cellphone. Her English is excellent and I don't have a clue about her french. She will be useful to us conservatives to split the left wing vote.

These bios are fresh out of my head, I think they are fairly accurate. I definitely have a conservative bias and usually look through that lens.

Having said all of that. We Don't get to vote for the Prime Minister. We vote for our local Member of Parliament. Whoever has the majority of MP's gets to have their guy as PM. It is a balance of voting for the person and voting for the Party. We also have a Senate but it is appointed (for life) and usually doesn't do much unless it is to interrupt the will of the people.
:? :wink:

aplusmnt said:
Mrs.Greg said:

I will root for that! For you and us!

Someone better figure out how to dump that pile of crapola Toronto into Lake Ontario, Montreal into the St Lawrence and Vancouver into the Pacific trench - then we could guarantee the outcome.

BC

Thanks for the post, per. I found it downright interesting. Hope your guy makes it.

Your welcome Van. Politics is a fun sport for me. In our last federal election I took one of our kids into the voting booth as did my wife. We we came out with many neighbors looking on he looked up and said "How come you didn't put your x the same place as Mom, Dad?". Some of those folks still chuckle when they see us! :lol:

per said:
Your welcome Van. Politics is a fun sport for me. In our last federal election I took one of our kids into the voting booth as did my wife. We we came out with many neighbors looking on he looked up and said "How come you didn't put your x the same place as Mom, Dad?". Some of those folks still chuckle when they see us! :lol:

That's pretty good. :lol: I'm a political junkie myself, but I suppose that's pretty obvious by now. My wife hates it though. Only time she votes is when there's some local issue on the ballot she's interested in. She does like Palin, although she's skeptical of all politicians. Maybe I can get her out there this fall. We'll see.

VanC said:
per said:

That's pretty good. :lol: I'm a political junkie myself, but I suppose that's pretty obvious by now. My wife hates it though. Only time she votes is when there's some local issue on the ballot she's interested in. She does like Palin, although she's skeptical of all politicians. Maybe I can get her out there this fall. We'll see.

Yep- me too on the political junkie...When I was in college me and one of the roommates sometimes would even switch parties in our converstations just to get a good discussion going...And a friend of mine that died a few months ago and I spent several enjoyable hours over the years arguing "cow politics" and the direction the cattle industry was taking...

per said:
Our Prime Ministers choices are:

Current sitting Prime Minister Steven Harper. MA in economics. IMO, boring, intelligent and an excellent PM. Has a couple of kids and a wife. She is a country gal who's brothers are excellent competition at antique tractor pulls here in Alberta. He is very conservative and a little stoic. Fluent in English and French.

Opposition leader Stephan Dion. Liberal, cabinet experience in previous liberal government. PhD in Political Science. His plan to save the world is to break those of us who produce things by a carbon tax called the Green Shift Plan. Is currently being sued by a legitimate environmental company who has dibs on the Green Shift name. He has a wife, an adopted child and a dog named Kyoto (not kidding). He speaks fluent French and broken English.

NDP leader Jack Layton. (Left wing union type party) also has a PhD in political science. He stands for not standing for whatever anyone else is standing for. Usually way left of Liberal. Has a wife who is also an MP and was a Toronto City Councillor. He speaks fluent English, French and his wife's native tongue which I think is Mandarin.

Of course what would an election be without the other fringe party the Green Party. Elisabeth May is in charge of the Green Party a left on the environment and right on economics party. She is a Lawyer was the president of the Canadian wing of the Sierra Club for several years and also worked for former conservative PM Brian Mulroney. (must be a lawyer thing) She has a daughter and does not own a car and has resisted the cellphone. Her English is excellent and I don't have a clue about her french. She will be useful to us conservatives to split the left wing vote.

These bios are fresh out of my head, I think they are fairly accurate. I definitely have a conservative bias and usually look through that lens.

Having said all of that. We Don't get to vote for the Prime Minister. We vote for our local Member of Parliament. Whoever has the majority of MP's gets to have their guy as PM. It is a balance of voting for the person and voting for the Party. We also have a Senate but it is appointed (for life) and usually doesn't do much unless it is to interrupt the will of the people.
:? :wink:

I think you nailed it pretty well. :D

Don't they have to call for an election? Why are they calling for an election?

That's the interesting thing here OT. Our last parliament was a minority government. In the session there was a bill passed that set fixed election dates for the first time. But, the law didn't apply to a minority government. The PM can ask the Governor General (Queens Representative) to dissolve parliament, which he did today. In a minority the opposition can bring down the government on a non confidence vote. This has been the longest lasting minority in Canadian history. The PM claims not enough was getting done because the opposition could out vote the will of the government. I guess he was tired of the hassle of pandering to them and dare I say compromising. I personally like the idea of minority governments because they do require working together. He is correct though, when the opposition stops co-operating not much gets done and an election might be indicated.

Latest posts