• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

electricity rates?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
just wondering what everyone else is paying for power, our rates went up50% a month ago now they're saying another increase next month of 48%. just like gas going up before a long weekend, power goes up before winter

Gcreeks system is looking more attractive all the time

In the city I pay $25/month.

In the pueblo and the ranch there's no charge for juice. Of course, there's often no electricity. Come to think of it, in the city there's often no electricity.......or water.......or gas. :mad:

Here in Valentine, Nebraska we have pretty decent rates. Depends on usage: In August, using 1851 KW's the rate was about .075 and in September, using 934 KW's the rate was .093 cents.
If Obama gets the coal plants shut down like he wants, our rates will go up considerably.

Martin Jr. said:
Here in Valentine, Nebraska we have pretty decent rates. Depends on usage: In August, using 1851 KW's the rate was about .075 and in September, using 934 KW's the rate was .093 cents.
If Obama gets the coal plants shut down like he wants, our rates will go up considerably.

Amen to that.
And it's on his agenda. :mad:

Your rates WILL go up. Count on it. Coal fired, nuclear, diesel or natural gas, whatever generates your juice, it's gonna jump.

Part of the problem is due to new EPA regs requiring smaller plants using diesel fired generators to either update the exhaust with cataltic converters, or shut down permanently. The 4 Fairbanks Morse engines we have would require an investment of over $1 million to be compliant. Not many bergs of 1100 people can afford to do that. However, there are some loopholes and some back door finangling that can either allow these plants to run in emergency situations or figure out a way (grants, matching funds, etc.) to pay for the updates.

The only gas appliance we have is a gas cooktop. (We have an electric heatpump for heat, but below 20 degrees it switches to gas power) A typical month we actually burn less than $2 of gas, but add in all the other charges, (franchise, distribution, tax, and assorted other BS) and the bill comes to around $17-$18/month. THANKS, SourceGas! SourGas also charged me over $1500 to run the new gas line in to where we moved the house, and they wanted to charge me for them cutting the phone lines that connected the south half of town! THAT failed to materialize.

If you're on the grid, you're screwed.

Our rates have jumped like crazy and they are saying to expect a hike every month all winter. Our actual power price and usage is the same and less respectively, but the transmission charges are climbing like crazy.
We will be pricing out the payments on an off the grid setup in the next year. My initial investigations show the payments are getting very close to our transmission charges.

loomixguy said:
Your rates WILL go up. Count on it. Coal fired, nuclear, diesel or natural gas, whatever generates your juice, it's gonna jump.

Part of the problem is due to new EPA regs requiring smaller plants using diesel fired generators to either update the exhaust with cataltic converters, or shut down permanently. The 4 Fairbanks Morse engines we have would require an investment of over $1 million to be compliant. Not many bergs of 1100 people can afford to do that. However, there are some loopholes and some back door finangling that can either allow these plants to run in emergency situations or figure out a way (grants, matching funds, etc.) to pay for the updates.

The only gas appliance we have is a gas cooktop. (We have an electric heatpump for heat, but below 20 degrees it switches to gas power) A typical month we actually burn less than $2 of gas, but add in all the other charges, (franchise, distribution, tax, and assorted other BS) and the bill comes to around $17-$18/month. THANKS, SourceGas! SourGas also charged me over $1500 to run the new gas line in to where we moved the house, and they wanted to charge me for them cutting the phone lines that connected the south half of town! THAT failed to materialize.

If you're on the grid, you're screwed.

what happened to the "alternative" forms of energy that were supposed to take the place of these "convential" sources?

I thought the Government would have had the timing of the replacement figured out, by the time they discontinued the "traditional" :???:

What did the $Billions purchase, in the last 3 years, if not a replacement for traditional energy sources........?

Latest posts