• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Email Fraud

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Late last night I recieved an email that informed me that I had booked a flight on AirCanada. It said my credit card had been charged and it provided me with the conformation code to print out my ticket online. The problem was I had never booked a flight on any airline let alone Air Canada. The email provided a link to cancel the booking so I clicked on the link and it went nowhere. I replied to the email by saying I had not booked the flight and if my credit card was charge I would be turning it over to the RCMP for investigation. Since I got nowhere with the fake links I googled Air Canada and got a contact number and I then called them to see if they could give me an answers using the conformation code in the email. If I booked a flight I would at least like to know to where. :wink:

The operator said as long as I was not a Aeroplan member I had nothing to worry about, my credit card was not charged and it was a hacker that had bought a bunch of email addresses and was looking to get information on Aeroplan members so he/she could steal rewards. She told me to delete the email and report it to the RCMP Anti Fraud Unit ASAP of which I did. She said they had a problem with the fraud awhile back but last night they seemed to be getting hit again.

Phishing is a way of attempting to acquire information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity

Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail spoofing and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one

when you receive an e-mail such as that it is always best to skip the links and go to a good known contact for the company..

even if you do nothing but follow the link you have confirmed it is a good e-mail, and they will re-sell it as a confirmed address..

expect more junk e-mails..

Latest posts