• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

entering my third year of beef raising

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A said:
hayguy said:
really enjoy your pic's and admire your enthusiasm. have done a lot of raking with one like yours, and an awful lot of baling with a 14T,224T, 336,346, 347,a massey and a couple of new hollands and my word of advice is try to find a tractor with a live PTO to run the baler. M's are/were great old tractors but unless it's a Super M TA you have no live shaft,a real incumberance to any PTO work

Thanks! ...and thanks for this info! I have it worked out to where I can get a bigger tractor, but it is going to be a couple years. Can I get by with my M for now? It's not a Super M. I just need to get by???

just make sure that you don't have more invested in iron than cattle :wink:

hayguy said:
R A said:
hayguy said:
really enjoy your pic's and admire your enthusiasm. have done a lot of raking with one like yours, and an awful lot of baling with a 14T,224T, 336,346, 347,a massey and a couple of new hollands and my word of advice is try to find a tractor with a live PTO to run the baler. M's are/were great old tractors but unless it's a Super M TA you have no live shaft,a real incumberance to any PTO work

Thanks! ...and thanks for this info! I have it worked out to where I can get a bigger tractor, but it is going to be a couple years. Can I get by with my M for now? It's not a Super M. I just need to get by???

Is that a no?...and I have a summer of cussin' a comin'....lol....I have $1100 total invested in that tractor, rake, and baler together. I didn't think that was too bad, but I don't know a thing about anything mechanical yet.

R A said:
hayguy said:
R A said:

Is that a no?...and I have a summer of cussin' a comin'....lol....I have $1100 total invested in that tractor, rake, and baler together. I didn't think that was too bad, but I don't know a thing about anything mechanical yet.

Trust me you will. :wink: :D Nothing like running old equipment for making one into a mechanic. Been there, done that. We still don't buy new, that first 5 years depreciation is better left for those with tax problems.

You do know you can feed 3 cows to 2 horses. :wink:

Always enjoy your enthusiasm and photos.

gcreekrch said:
R A said:
hayguy said:

Trust me you will. :wink: :D Nothing like running old equipment for making one into a mechanic. Been there, done that. We still don't buy new, that first 5 years depreciation is better left for those with tax problems.

You do know you can feed 3 cows to 2 horses. :wink:

Always enjoy your enthusiasm and photos.

Thanks, gcreekrch! I've very excited to hit the hay field for myself this year, very very excited. I can't wait to learn about this stuff! I've been reading my baler manual like it was a good western book. When those first few bales start hitting the ground behind me, I'll be a happy camper! I just have 35 acres or so set aside to put up this year. Yeah, my next tractor will still be 30, 40, 50 years old. :D

Horses do like to eat! But like that sayin' goes...if they are a standing, they'll start. :D

R A said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Looks like things are coming together. :D

I see that Working Ranch magazine will even help you pick out your new ATV. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great pics as usual. :D

Thank you! Things kinda are coming together, slowly. I made bad cow purchasing decisions at the start here and made a decision to cull hard and start over with a low number of cows. I am only going up with cow numbers now though....that's the only thing that has gone backwards.

What's an ATV??? I must of skipped over that article :D

Well at least you figured it out before you had a hundred of them many guys here just keep raiseing inferior cattle where in the long run they should have just re-grouped. Good job

Thanks, Denny! I appreciate it! It seemed like the right thing to do and really has helped me in my situation. I might have to come up and buy a bull off of you some day to breed to my baldy heifers I'm keeping.

Latest posts