• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ethanol corn gluten recipe.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Even with the WCS sulfur level still too high as wCS ha a small amount of sulfur as well as wheat midds which are .20% sulfur. Do you have access to Alfalfa?? Even with as little as 17% crude protein in it?

Alfalfa 1025 lbs.
Corn 550 lbs.
CGF 425 lbs.
-------
2000 lb. mix

16.02% crude Protein
3.35% fat
14.70% fiber
.157% sulfur

Faster horses said:
I have been very impressed with what you have come up with,
TexasBred. You have done an amazing job.

Now my question to SirLoin is, why do you need a ration for
calves that is 16% protein? This whole scenerio was for calves, right?

FS if they're holsteins they need that extra protein but that really is not a good mix for them. Needs much more energy. Larger calves can use it as a grower type ration but the 11-12% protein should be adequate. I couldn't afford it because of the cost of alfalfa down here. Free choice hay and then a good grain mix and not worry about holding the sulfur levels nearly that low would work much better.

TexasBred, same here :tiphat:

Re:

Now my question to SirLoin is, why do you need a ration for
calves that is 16% protein? This whole scenerio was for calves, right?
Not necessarily. Yes, I am running calves right now but 3 are heifers from good breeding stock and I may run them out to heifers, 2 in 1 or 3 in 1. Depending on the market and my need for cash.

There are times in a bad winters and/or times of drought when the grass is gone and hay is poor and momma is about to calve or has just calved, I like to jump their protein level up to 16%.

I also like to jump it up to 16% for calves for 30 - 60 days before sale day.
The rest of the time when supplemental feeding is necessary, 12% is fine.
What I am trying to calculate is cost of : Am I better off feeding a 12% feed and increasing the amount of feed given to provide more protein or reformulating a 16 % feed.

Which brings me to my next question. Lets use this as a starting point. This is what I am feeding 3 Holstein steer due to go to market Dec. 8.
What is the protein level of 2/3 wheat midds and 1/3 dry ground corn? 2 lbs per day. free choice hay @ 8 %.
What is their crude protein daily intake?
I'll work on the cost /lb while you figure that out.
SL

Wheat mids protein content is variable from 14 to 18% so I will figure both but final calculation of protein intake is dependent on body size and intake.

With 14% CP mids protein content of mix is 12% plus hay.
With 18% CP mids protein content of mix is 14.7% plus hay.

So grain mix should provide around 13.8% protein on average or .138 pounds protein per pound of mix for a total of .28 lbs protein intake for that mix.

Total protein intake would be figured = .28 + .08(lbs hay consumed)

Nicky said:
And why is this in Coffee Shop?? Just asking :?

They didnt' give you a cup of coffee when you signed in?? :wink: Guess if it doesn't necessarily fit anywhere else we just put it here. I know I sometimes do.

WV right on with the protein although I usually just use 16% for midds as that's what most will test in this neck of the woods. SL with that low quality hay you probably need to feed that 16% grain mix. Witht the price of the various ingredients these days you can make a 16% mix about as cheap as you can a 12% mix.

Latest posts