• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

February 01

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
"when you wake on a feb. morn, better have half your taters and half your corn"

been a tough winter around here this year, early snow and lot's of it, windy and cold too. feed supply's are dwindling (sales are up) and still could get a lot more winter yet.

hayguy said:

been a tough winter around here this year, early snow and lot's of it, windy and cold too. feed supply's are dwindling (sales are up) and still could get a lot more winter yet.

The rule of thumb in the Sandhills is to have half your hay left by the first of March. We can never turn out to grass until May 15th at the earliest.

Soapweed said:
hayguy said:

The rule of thumb in the Sandhills is to have half your hay left by the first of March. We can never turn out to grass until May 15th at the earliest.

With all the old grass left available this will be another year we should be able to go out with the cows that have calved around mid April thru the 1st of May... I just figured up feed and hay this morning- and should have enough to go that we could feed well into June if need be... Sure makes things nicer when you have extra and aren't down to counting the last bale to get thru... :)

Oldtimer said:
Soapweed said:
hayguy said:

With all the old grass left available this will be another year we should be able to go out with the cows that have calved around mid April thru the 1st of May... I just figured up feed and hay this morning- and should have enough to go that we could feed well into June if need be... Sure makes things nicer when you have extra and aren't down to counting the last bale to get thru... :)

One thing about it, with big round bales and good hay hauling rigs, it's a lot easier to haul in a little more hay in the spring if it becomes necessary. Back in the days of loose hay in stacks, it was fairly important to go into the winter with just about the right number of cows for the hay that was available. It was pretty hard to get by if you ran out of hay too early.

Hay in the stackyard come spring is like money in the bank! :D :D Our stackyard looks pretty dang good. But only because I had to cull hard when the government shut down in October. :x The wood shed still is over half full too. And the way the weather has been we may turn out in april if we have grass. :?

You guys don't sound like you are preparing for a drought. I ain't either but I hadn't heard them sayings.

I heard "always have 2 years hay on hand so count your bales and feed 1/2"

There was a year that was exceptional and I was understocked. I put up 10 ton per cow and never sold a bale. My cows never got a fresh bale for 3 winters running but last year I fed down to where I was glad I never sold any 5 years or so before.

Soapweed said:
hayguy said:

That's what they say in our area, too, Soapweed.

Latest posts