• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding oats

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
We are buying 6oo# replacement type hiefers and are feeding them alfalfa and mostly orchard grass hay. Also have some oats. Should they be fed whole or lightlty rolled or not required atall. Any experiences or comments would be welcomed.

For the past couple of falls I have been feeding whole oats free choice to our calves for a month or so before weaning. Some of the oats go through the calf whole, but not very many.

I THINK feeding them whole lessens the problem of grain overload as whole oats are fairly bulky. A neighbour of mine used to do the same with his Salers herd. It seems to slick them up without making them lardy because they are more protein than energy.

I don't know how it would work when feeding them with dry hay. It would seem that the rumen process would be different.

The reason I feed them is because I have a good source for (cheap) oats from a seed cleaning plant.

heavier the oat more the energy , as for rolling don't bother , we've been feeding oats for years now and is cheaper then barley , but burnt is right they will get a little condition

Be careful feeding oats free-choice. Producers here tried that and
lost calves due to over-eating (no limiter in straight oats).They
have given them an shot for over-eating too and lost them
anyway.

I think oats are a good feed for calves, but not free-choice. Burnt, I'm
glad it worked for you...

Latest posts