• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Feeding Wheat & Pea Silage

Help Support Ranchers.net:

heluvaranch

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy some Wheat & Pea silage for about half of what hay is running per ton around here right now, but my question is first how good of a feed is it going to be and second how much will I generally have to feed per day in comparison to feeding a high quality alfalfa grass hay? The main group of cows are just starting to calve and I also have a handful of fall calving cows in a separate pasture that I am considering feeding it to. Just trying to decide which is more economical!

Thanks for any input! :)

NR & Swede are spot on...have the feed test done, then run some rations using the test results to see what you will need to augment the silage with.

Yup, when you figure it back to a dry matter basis it will not look like there is as big a price differential. But that doesn't mean it isn't still good feed.

I really liked the oats/barley/pea mix we fed to our calves last year. I call it the poor man's TMR and your machinery in the winter consists of a loader and a bale feeder!.

My cousin feeds spring wheat chopped as silage and it is great feed. Peas and oats have been fed around here for years. Guys plant peas and oats early and then cut them around June and drill alfalfa right into the stubble and use it as a cover crop to establish the hay. Makes great feed for weaned calves.

Latest posts