• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fence stretcher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I agree that once wire gets past a certain age it doesnt bend, in which case those crimp-type splices work better. but you cant tell me that old wire can be bent at such a sharp angle with the loop-type and not break but can't be used in a lineman's splice. I will say that I have also seen lineman's splices come apart, but that was because they were wound the wrong way and the wraps weren't tight enough. I can count on one hand the number of linemans splices I've had to go back and fix, but I have fixed many, many more loop splices that broke. If your wraps are nice and tight and going the right direction, I really think it is better than the loop method. Everyone has their preferences though. I'n not trying to tell everyone they are wrong; I'm just sharing my experiences and why I do things like I do. Thanks for the input though.

I carry 2 pair of fencing pliers in the saddle bag. I can't carry the crimpers for the splices on the horse with me. Not coordinated enough. Most time I will use the lineman's splice. Often times I do not have enough "spare" wire to make a loop and the lineman's splice is a quick fix till I can get back out with the proper tools to repair correctly.

Theres nothing more fun than fixing 80 year old fence! I reccomend a D7 CAT and a big hole to bury the mess in. Some of my neighbours have a
no fencing pollicy. They say they can extend there grazing days by using MY BARLEY FIELDS !!!!! :mad:

Ya'll take a look at this thang, I might hafta order me one or...."honey do" list it and get Mr. Lilly to make me one.

http://www.texasfencefixer.com/how.htm

Ha Ha Ha !!! Dont think I'll be orderin me one, $89.95 plus shippin......total cost at the shop with Mr Lilly's free labor, probably nothin, cuz we got enuff stuff layin around down there that I'm sure he can find somethin to make one out of.

Lilly,there aint no telling how much fence I have built,patched. And I have never found a tool better than the "goldenrod" for patching fence,building new fence is a completely differnt thing,I use a come along and wire clamps for that..............good luck PS how is wrangler? bet he wont be letting anymore toads pee in his mouth :D

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
while patchin fence, I got to wonderin, does anyone else still use a fence stretcher like this'n?
2005-09-29-fence-stretcher.jpg

exactly what the hubby has in his tool box in the back of the work truck!!! Never leaves home without them.....ya just never know!! :D

I have used a goldnrod to pull a pickup out of a dam. I parked on the edge of the dam and left the truck running and didn't set the brake and it rolled in about 10 feet and the front tire fell in the hole in the ice i had just chopped for the cows. I looked in the back and there was a chain, a roll #9 wire and a goldnrod. So i hooked the chain around a tree and the wire to the ball on the pickup and hooked the strecher to both and started streching and it just poped the tire right out of the hole. Sure beat a 2 mile walk.

Oh Id not git rid of my goldenrods, but that lil peice looks like it would be handy for tightenin a loose fence, dont think it'd be much use in patchin a broke wire though, seen the add for it in the land and livestock post paper I got in the mail today.

Wrangler is some better, I cooked rice for him this mornin, that's always what the vets told me to give him after a tummy upset episode in dogs. He didnt take to kindly to gettin rice when everone else got biscuits and sausage. He's gradually perkin up though. Just gave him some more rice while ago with some ham juice on it, just nuff to give it some flavor instead of just bland ole rice. He lapped it right up.
Wranglers 2, was a present from Mr. Lilly for our 19th anniversary. When he gave him to me he weighed all of....maybe a pound, he was a lil bitty thang, I could hold him in the one hand, long ways he didn't hang over anywhere. I was skeered I'd misplace him he was so little. Carried him around in the inside pocket of my carhart jacket that first winter. He's a good lil heater lol.

Latest posts