• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fightless Friday, How 'bout some good recipes??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchwife,when I first married Greg his mom taught me how to make german pancakes,her versions different from the one you mentioned. 3eggs,1 cup milk,1cup flour,whisk together till smooth,melt butter{marg.}in frying pan,pour 1third cup into pan,move around in pan to resemble thin crepe,cook till edges start to turn up ,flip cook on other side,flip on plate ,spread butter ,sugar and cinnamon roll up like crepe....very good!!!makes quite a few depending on how thin you make them.

ranchwife said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Growin up we had Gravy with just about every meal. Flour, salt, pepper, and milk added to the pan after the oil has been drained and all the "crunchies" are left in the pan after fryin, steak, chicken, hamburger steaks........mmmmm mmmm good......
Red Eye gravy is good stuff too, we usually make it for breakfast when havin ham n eggs.

I am patiently waiting for the recipe for the red eye gravy, lilly!! :wink: :wink:

Here is one of the family favorites
hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes (another super easy)

browned hamburger
sliced mushrooms
diced onion
beef boullion (1 cube or 1 can)
canned or frozen corn and beans (green)
salt and pepper
celery or celery salt (to taste)
flour to thicken into gravy
water as desired for thickness/thinning out!! :D

brown burger, mushrooms and onion together....add water and boullion and simmer til onion is tender.....add corn, beans, celery, salt and pepper and allow to simmer til veggies are done....add flour to thicken and add extra seasonings to your taste ( the hubby likes lots of pepper and some mrs. dash) and serve over your favorite mashed potatoes....super filling supper and a great way to stretch a pound of burger!! :D

Made some of this for supper tonight (7pm) :wink: added more for gravy and exchanged peas for the beans. LOVE IT!! Everything on the plate was home-grown except for the boullion cubes and the milk to make the mashed potatoes :D I also got into the melon pieces I froze...you eat them half frozen they aren't half bad!!! :D Very happy and stuffed family tonight! :D

Yayyyyyyy---sw found me the recipe...gonna be getting up a little early in the morning just to make sure my family has these in their bellies before they head to school and/or feeding the cows!!! :D :D
mrsgreg----I simply LOVE crepes and so do the kids....whether we fill them with fruit, cream cheese or just top them with butter and powdered sugar!MMMMMMMMM!!! :D

Cube Steak, Breaded and fried with a pan of hot buttered biscuits.

1)Check the freezer for some cube steaks.
2)The day before start buttering up the biscuit maker.
3)Take the biscuits maker out for diner and dancing.
4)Make sure the biscuits maker wakes up smiling and asking "What do you want for breakfast."

Feeds two for breakfast with plenty leftover for snacking.

Alabama said:

4)Make sure the biscuits maker wakes up smiling and asking "What do you want for breakfast."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gonna let the hubby see this one and see if he gets the HINT!! :wink:

Alabama said:

That's a good 'un Ala!!!!! :lol2: :lol2:

Just putting TTB's on here:

Here's a "Fightless Friday" recipe we really like, and it's really easy and very filling. It's a great use for Hamburger. Even my Scandahovian hubby who normally won't touch mexican loves it. Requests it almost weekly One note about the recipe is that it might take more tortillas than what's called for in the ingredients...don't worry it still works fine!!!

Beefy Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs ground beef sirloin (95% lean)
9 corn tortillas
2 cans (10 oz each) mild enchilada sauce
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp ground cumin
1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in 1 can enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Spray 11-3/4 x 7-1/2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 3 tortillas in dish, cutting 1 as needed to cover bottom. Spread 1/4 cup remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas; cover with 1/3 beef mixture, then 1/3 cheese. Repeat layers twice, omitting final cheese layer. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top.

3. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F oven 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with tortilla strips, if desired, tomato and cilantro.

Cook's Recipe Tip: Lasagna may be made up to 24 hours ahead through Step 2; refrigerate, covered. Increase baking time from 30 to 45 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 466 calories; 35 g protein; 46 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 837 mg sodium; 73 mg cholesterol; 102.5 mcg folic acid; 6 g fiber; 6.3 mg niacin; .4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 5.7 mg zinc.

Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 349 calories; 27 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 13 g fat; 628 mg sodium; 55 mg cholesterol; 76.9 mcg folic acid; 4 g fiber; 4.7 mg niacin; .3 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 4.3 mg zinc.

This is another really good recipe...I use stew meat rather than beef round tip steaks...I really like the flavor, but Mr. TTB is not fond of it...too many veggies for him!!!

Sesame-Soy Beef Stir-Fry
Ingredients:
1 lb beef round tip steaks, cut 1/8 ot 1/4 inch thick
1 package (16 oz) frozen stir-fry vegetable mixture
2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Marinade:
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark sesame oil

Instructions:

1. Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons. Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Add beef to remaining marinade; toss.

2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 minute or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove. Repeat with remaining beef.

3. Combine vegetables and 1/4 cup water in same skillet; cook over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until most of water is evaporated and vegetables are hot, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch mixture and reserved marinade. Add to vegetables; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Add beef; heat through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving: 277 calories; 29 g protein; 15 g carbohydrate; 10 g fat; 1335 mg sodium; 69 mg cholesterol; 3.2 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 6.0 mg zinc.

Hello: Welcome to our Enchilada sauce recipe. This is a basic sauce, there are a lot of variations. Such as adding tomato sauce about 4 oz's to tone it down a little. Beef stock instead of water. Myself, I go with the basic, add some Salsa, chopped onion and cilantro.

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons shortening
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons red Chile powder
* 1 teaspoon of cumin
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 c. water
* salt to taste(1/2 teaspoon should do it)

Heat together shortening and flour. Gradually add remaining ingredients. Stir constantly until well blended. Cook 2 or 3 more minutes.

There are as many variations on enchilada sauce as there are cooks in the country of Mexico,and they are all good tasting. Try this one. green enchilada sauce
http://secure.foodwine.com/destinations/mexico/enchverd.html

Have a recipe that you would like to share?Or just to say Hello.
Click here to try ourinput form.

Home for enchilada sauce recipe

I use Legs and Thighs for this -

Green Chile Chicken Casserole

Recipe By : Los Palmas
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 16oz can refried beans nonfat
8 chicken breast halves without skin
1 packet taco seasoning mix 1 1/4 oz
1 1/2 cups Las Palmas Green Chile Sauce
1 cup monterey jack cheese lowfat -- shredded

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with Pam. Spread refried beans in bottom of baking dish.

2. Place chicken and taco seasoning mix in large plastic bag. Shake to coat. Arrange chicken breasts on top of refried beans.

3. In small bowl, combine enchilada sauce and cheese; mix well. Spoon over chicken. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

When I add - Extras:
Top with Chopped Cilantro – Shredded Jack Cheese – Chopped Onions – Sourer Cream - after it comes out of the oven

How about some easy cookie or dessert recipes??? Anyone out there have anything that is super easy for a "Beginner" to cook....I am taking the time to "attempt" to teach the 18 year old son and the 10 year old son how to cook...tonight's menu is hamburger steaks/grilled onions/mashed potatoes/gravy/tossed salad and 'something' for dessert!!! Remember, these are BOYS who are doing the cooking, so keep is simple!!! :lol: :wink: :wink:

Ranchwife this is my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe,so easy and three ingredients...2 cups peanut butter,1cup sugar,2eggs,mix together,roll into balls,flatten with fork on greased cookie sheet.Bake @350 for 15 minutes,careful not to overbake.My kids loved making this cookie,still do!

Mrs.Greg said:
Ranchwife this is my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe,so easy and three ingredients...2 cups peanut butter,1cup sugar,2eggs,mix together,roll into balls,flatten with fork on greased cookie sheet.Bake @350 for 15 minutes,careful not to overbake.My kids loved making this cookie,still do!

What a PERFECT recipe, MrsGreg.....Peanut butter cookies just happen to be the hubby's favorite and this is one recipe even the 18 year old boy could follow!!! :lol: :wink:

ranchwife,
we can see why you like the German Pancakes, we made them last weekend just for fun. It was really good, scared me when I opened the oven and the "thing" was ten times bigger than it started out to be. We had some fruit that needed to be used up so we made the fruit stuff to go with but I could eat those things with no syrup or anything. I better hope the Marine does not come home too often, trying to fatten him up can have a detrimental effect on his daddy's belly :oops:

Ranchwife, I think posted this 'way back when' but here it is again. It's a favorite with us and the neighbors!

Easy Chocolate Cake
Mix one 2 cup instant pudding mix, mix in one chocolate cake mix, put in 9 X 13 pan, sprinkle a 1/2 bag of choc. chips on top, bake according to cake mix directions. (We prefer it a tad undercooked) Eat as it or with ice cream. :D

Daffodil Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1 lg pkg vanilla instant pudding
8 oz cream cheese
chopped nuts
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
12 oz carton Cool Whip

Prepare cake according to pkg directions, bake in 13x9x2 pan. Cool.
Prepare pudding according to directions. Add cream cheese and whip until blended. spread on top of cooled cake. Top with pineapple. Spread whipped topping over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.

LEMON SQUARES

Crust: 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. chopped nuts, 1 stick oleo, 2 Tblsp. powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients for pie crust. Pat out in 9x13 pan. Bake @ 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool at least one hour.

Filling: First layer: 8 oz. whipped topping (CoolWhip), 8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar
Mix together and spread over the crust

Top Layer: 3 - 3 3/4 oz pkgs instant lemon pudding , 3 c. cold milk
Mix pudding and milk. spread on cheese layer. Use remaining of whipped topping ( 8 oz) and spread over entire cake. Top with chopped nuts if desired. Keep refrigerated.

*Note* - when using the whipped topping you cannot measure it in a cup. Use half of the container. I gave a lady the recipe one time and she measured the cool whip in a cup and then wondered why it didn't turn out.

BROCCOLI SALAD

1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 tsp vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
3 small onions, sliced
1 bunch broccoli
1 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 lb bacon (cooked)
1/2 c. raisins

For a large crowd recipe, only double the mayonnaise and sugar.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

1 cup rice, cooked
1 frozen small chopped broccoli
1 small cheez whiz
1 can celery soup
1 onion, chopped
1 Tblsp. butter or oleo

Saute onion in oleo in casserole dish. Pour cheez whiz and celery soup into onions. Add broccoli and rice. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

PEANUT BUTTER PIE

1/2 c. peanut butter
1 c. powdered sugar
1 - 3 oz. pkg cream cheese

Mix above together and blend in 8 oz container of cool whip. Pour onto graham cracker crust. Refrigerate.

OATMEAL COOKIES

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla

Raisins, nuts or choc chips may be added if so desired. Cream shortening, and sugars. Add eggs, beating after each. Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to mixture. Add rolled oats and vanilla. Make balls size of walnuts. Dip tops into water and then sugar. Place sugared side up on greased cookie sheet. Bake 375 degrees for 8 minutes.

BUTTERMILK PIE

1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
1 Tblsp. flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs, sugar, butter and flour with milk. Add vanila. Pour into pie shell. bake @ 375 for 40-45 minutes until knife comes out clean.

Minnesota Munchers Cookies

1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c. milk choc chips
1/2 c. semisweet chips
2/3 c. toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 cookie sheets. In a med. bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir
in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; Sitr into creamed mixture. Fold in milk choc and semisweet chips, toffee bits and pecans. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire racks.

BARBECUE SAUCE

1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup whiskey (or rum)
1 tblsp minced green pepper
1 Tblsp minced celery
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
2 cups catsup
1/4 c. tomato paste
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice

Optional: May use 1/3 tsp hot pepper, 2 tsp mustard, 2 Tblsp liquid smoke

In large saucepan, combine all ingredients, let simmer for 30 minutes.
I made this last sunday and its the best sauce I've ever had.
I usually barbecue the pork steaks until 2/3 way done, then throw them in the crock pot on low for an hour or so.

Cookies

1 cake mix (any flavor, I think chocolate, lemon and butter pecan are best though, IMO)
1 egg
8 oz carton Cool whip

Mix all together, will be thick. Get spoonful of dough and roll in powdered sugar. Bake at 350 for about 7-9 minutes. Kids love to make em but they can make a mess with the powdered sugar.......

Latest posts