• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fire at Valentine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Been There

Reaction score
We are having our fire in this part of the country now. Started this afternoon, apparently in the park, north of Valentine, or just north of the park.
There is a deep canyon in the vicinity. They evacuated the Assisted living facility and, I think, the hospital as the fire was spreading. Ambulances have been coming and going from Ainsworth, I suppose hauling patients to the hospital there.
There are reports of some houses being lost, and the horses from one place.
They think they are getting some control over the fire now, with the help of fire trucks from communities all around and some tanker airplanes from Denver and other places.
It is a bad one.

Thats one thing good about a lot of the fires in this country- they can often burn for 20-30 miles without threatening a soul or manmade structure.....

I sure hope they can get it under control soon, I was just down to Valentine around the 1st of June, very pretty around that area. Friendly people too, just like in most ranching communities.

ranchwife said:
Our prayers to all who are in the "line of fire"....literally!!! :( :(

Ranchwife,

For all of those who haven't said so, you are a "sweetie". Thanks for being such a positive person in this family...you are what you are, a nurse, and you do what you do. Thanks for being the very kind nurse that you are. :!: 8) :D

Hanta Yo said:
ranchwife said:
Our prayers to all who are in the "line of fire"....literally!!! :( :(

Ranchwife,

For all of those who haven't said so, you are a "sweetie". Thanks for being such a positive person in this family...you are what you are, a nurse, and you do what you do. Thanks for being the very kind nurse that you are. :!: 8) :D

It takes great people like yourself, sw, mcg, fh, oldtimer, jinglebob, soapweed, etc, etc, etc to make a GREAT family......what we have here is truly a GREAT family!!!! :D :D :D :D
I can only hope that these grey clouds over our heads come your way and dump some much needed moisture on those fires that (by the pictures, mcg posted) are getting wayyyyy too close to home!!! Please keep us posted!!!!!!!!

I think there is sufficient lawn space surrounding the hospital to keep it safe. I'd guess some engineer/architect is wetting his pants, because a prairie fire is forseeable in Valentine Ne.

The park north of Valentine is beautiful, but some folks are tremendously disrespectful - likely source of fire. My son rudely demanded some slobs clean up their trash last week so I had to reexplain the flies and honey deal again.

We were just telling my father in law at breakfast about all you folks we met out west at the get-together Hanta and sw who are dealing with fire plus the one at Devil's Tower where we visited with Jinglebob's and Saddletramp's families. And now Valentine where Soapweed and his sister and Katrina and Roscoe were. Really brings these fires home and we pray for all your safety.

nr said:
We were just telling my father in law at breakfast about all you folks we met out west at the get-together Hanta and sw who are dealing with fire plus the one at Devil's Tower where we visited with Jinglebob's and Saddletramp's families. And now Valentine where Soapweed and his sister and Katrina and Roscoe were. Really brings these fires home and we pray for all your safety.

Your right nr , since we know people in these areas the fires seem much more real or closer to home then if we just heard about them on the news.

Hi guys....... We are okay..... We were ready to sit down with some friends for supper, when they evacuated the north part of Valentine. From our street north and east. We left and took our tanker sprayer to town and helped with the fire. Due to the fact we have no experiance fighting fire in canyons we filled fire trucks with water.. Sad deal as to some families got out with only the clothes on their backs. 12 homes burned. Dave and Bonnie Price lost their barn, but did save all their horses. Really rough country. It burned the communication tower and building, so a older gentelmen, I think he said he was 78 was commanding the fire from the fire truck radio at the fire house... Was a real insperation. Trucks from all over the country came. Some were: brown county, 3 trucks, Gorden, Hyannis, Mullen, Thedford, Ainsworth, Bassett, Newport, Mission, Colome, Winner, A truck from around Sioux Falls, the refuge, Cody, Kilgore, Danelski' with their big tankers, the Damn ranch, Native Americans who were skilled with fighting fire with shovels and chainsaws, (really impressive) And more trucks I am sure.. The fire would come out of the canyons and would spew 20 feet in the air and drop cinders 200 feet back. We came home early this morning as to we were getting in the way. Big planes were flying in from Denver and Rapid, but had to fly back to reload as to the Valentine air strip was too small. They said some helocopters were also coming today.... Say prayers for Valentine we need it...

In my report I said some horses had been lost. Maybe there were some but you horse people will be glad to know that I got wrong information on these particulat horses. The barn burned but the horses were out in a small pasture that mostly burned, but they escaped injury.
Bobby Mulligan hauled horses away from where two houses were burned.
He was leaving with the horses when he saw some roping calves in a corral. He thought about trying to load them but the fire was getting too close.
The next morning they were standing in the mud where a tank had overflowed, apparently unharmed, while the houses and trees around them were demolished.
Small meracles do happen.

I do pray for you all in Valentine, it has been many years since we had to deal with such fires. I pray that you make it through and the clouds will rain for you all. Just seems this year the fires are not choosing North, South, East or West....it is hitting everyone. Sadddddd ...

Again I send my prayers up for your families to stay safe.

Easty

The danger had not passed by this morning. There were still spots that could have flared up and spread. There were helicopters hauling water on these this morning.
The estimate is 10 or 12 homes lost. There are a lot of houses in that heavily timbered area. Would have likely been more if the planes hadn't been dropping fire retardant on them.
To top it off, the temprature hit 113 yesterday, with a blast furnace wind.
Would have been a trial for the firemen in their heavy gear. Thank God there were no lives lost and I haven't heard of any serious injuries.

Hi guy, yes and even Merriman sent several trucks over. There isn't anyone from around here that knows someone up there or has family. We used to live in that part of the country and when it is dry, IT IS DRY!!!! But the fires of 2000 did give the guys the best training in the world for fighting the fires around that neck of the woods. They did evacute the assisted living as well as the hospital and some friends of ours also had damage done to their home as well as they business. Prayers and our best as well as our hats off to those there and the firemen. :!: :!: :wink: :!: :wink:

Hi guys and gals, yes and even Merriman sent several trucks over,too. There isn't anyone from around here that knows someone up there or has family. We used to live in that part of the country and when it is dry, IT IS DRY!!!! :( :( :( But the fires of 2000 did give the guys the best training in the world for fighting the fires around that neck of the woods. They did evacute the assisted living as well as the hospital and some friends of ours also had damage done to their home as well as their business. Prayers, our best as well as our hats off to those there and the firemen. :!: :!: :wink: :!: :wink:

Latest posts