• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
http://cdn04b.castfire.com/media/flash/castfire_v3.swf?file=http://serve.castfire.com/video/1080946/1080946_2012-07-24-095746.1323.m4v&sh_id=1080946&guid=D8aEY&api=http://api.castfire.com/&image=http://serve.castfire.com/video/1080946/1080946_2012-07-24-095746.jpg&playlistthumbsize=65&backcolor=0x000000&frontcolor=0xFFFFFF&lightcolor=0xFF9900&menu=button&menu_position=horizontal_bottom&hasdownload=false&haswebsite=false&hasrelated=false&hasshare=false&playlistbgcolor=0x000000&duration=0&iconspacefactor=1&item=0&moreselectedcolor=FF9900&volume=50&start=0&state=IDLE&stretching=uniform&version=4.1.56&rev=7956&relatedThumbSize=65&controlbar=bottom&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F

How did it go today Katrina. I spent yesterday afternoon on the grass fire that jumped Hwy 12 and ended up at Swims. After that we ended up knocking it down as it came up somewhere north of Shepards Hill, I believe thats what they called it. It was quite and experience, being a Sandhiller (you know what I mean), I have never seen a timber fire, especially in the canyons. We did save a residence, I believe it was the Hansen's. It was quite rewarding to be of some help, I wish there was more I could do. I know time's are tough for everyone with drought conditions, but I pray that anyone who has the means to spare feed, hay or finances, will help the good people affected by these fires. One gentleman thought he might have a total of 300 acres of grass left, I wanted to cry for him as his yearlings trotted across the black where they had just been burnt over.

How did it go today Katrina. I spent yesterday afternoon on the grass fire that jumped Hwy 12 and ended up at Swims. After that we ended up knocking it down as it came up somewhere north of Shepards Hill, I believe thats what they called it. It was quite and experience, being a Sandhiller (you know what I mean), I have never seen a timber fire, especially in the canyons. We did save a residence, I believe it was the Hansen's. It was quite rewarding to be of some help, I wish there was more I could do. I know time's are tough for everyone with drought conditions, but I pray that anyone who has the means to spare feed, hay or finances, will help the good people affected by these fires. One gentleman thought he might have a total of 300 acres of grass left, I wanted to cry for him as his yearlings trotted across the black where they had just been burnt over.

Thanks for posting , both of you. I feel kinda worthless, sitting here at home, but I guess someone needs to stay home to watch things here. I did run into Valentine yesterday afternoon. Got new tires on my firetruck. I am sure I met 4 forest service personnel carriers, and atleast 8 firetrucks from Utah, Montana, and Idaho. Our UPS driver said there are outfits from those state, plus every other stat in the west. Its nice to have the help. I just pray they aren't needed back at home.

Just wanna throw a huge THANK YOU out to Flyin S and Lazy WP. I have grass leased for summer grazing north of Cody, NE and lost a good portion of it to fire. Without these two tremendous friends I would no doubt be completely overwhelmed. They have done more for me during this tragic time than I will ever be able to repay them for. These acts of kindness confirm my faith that even during times of tragic events the man upstairs continues to walk us thru life's storms.

All joking aside YOUR WELCOME. I am glad everything is alright. Things got pretty tough on the res on Sunday night, I almost had to send WP that 911 text, it happened so fast it was over before he would have got there. Had a good friend on the inside of the burnt looking for cattle when the fire broke out of the trees and swallowed all the grass between the pickups and the fire. Luckily there was a spray rig on one of his pickups, it had just enough water in it to knock the fire down long enough for them to drive out. Pretty lonely feeling, awfully humbling. He lost all of his grass lease.

We were there friday/nite and monday.. Took the ranch rig and big tractor and disk.... Guys came home last night feeling pretty good about the fire... There is nothing more like a come to Jesus feeling as when that fire blows out of those canyons.... absolutely a terrifing feeling.. We are totally a grass rig and that's where we feel the most confident, but just ten miles from us is way too close to sit and watch and wait.... In the last year it has burned to the north of us (ten miles) all the way to interstate ninety and now this to the south.... We did learn alot with monster and hopefully we will be prepared as much as we can when our time comes.. And it will...... Not if but when...... I know there are some stories to be told. Carter couldn't get over the water boiling on the ground... That's just how hot it burned.....

Man we are sure thinking of you guys down there and hoping it gets better for you. There is nothing worse then being at the mercy of heat and fires. Be careful and stay safe. Hopefully it starts raining on you.

lazy ace

Thinkin' of you guys tonight. Hope ya'll all stay safe and get the moisture we all so desperately need. Fire has been a way of life out here. In 1994 we lost almost the entire mountain. We learned from that to always have a plan for getting cows out of the path, if possible. It takes planning and thought and still might end up being too dangerous. Just know, ya'll aren't alone in dealing with it. Neighbors of mine lost all their summer and winter range and sold the cattle. Hopefully in 3 years they can restock. Take care friends.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150910413401599&set=a.10150910413266599.395353.170136916598&type=3&theater

I can't get this link to work..... Some great pictures of the national guard.

It broke out again and went south to the river yesterday but the feds are there and I was told they wouldn't let the local ranchers help . I was helping all day put out hot spots at the Hall fire with the Natl. forest service those people could not thank you enough for being there. We have been helping since last Friday and everybody is wore out but thankfully nobody has been seriously hurt. Although my 70 year old father rolled his 4 wheeler down a canyon yesterday if you had seen where he rolled it you could not believe he is still alive. We just keep praying for rain because until it rains or snows it will almost impossible to extinguish that fire in those canyons.

That's unbelievable. Someone should tell the fed's to ram it. I realize that they want control of the situation, but they could sure organize the locals and utilize their assistance. They had control of the Rosebud fire last Sunday when it broke loose, the Fed's didn't even know it had cut loose and the locals had been giving it hell for a few hours. Seems like they better make sure they cover their back or they end up looking stupid when the locals end up having to do their job anyway. I am sure everyone was glad for the help, but no one is going to set back and watch this one, people have way too much to lose.

In 1994 when we lost almost everything to fire, we had a giant fight with the federal fire people. They would sit and watch a lightning strike until it got to rolling along and then call in a spotter plane to evaluate the situation. :roll: We'd attack at first sign of smoke and must'a put out 35 fireds before they became trouble. Finally they let what turned out to be the big one get going and then all hell broke lose. We lost countless wildlife, neighbors lost 40 head of cows and we all lost miles and miles of fence and feed. The feds finally brought in a lot of resources including 5 cats and operators. One morning at the ranch, where a fire crew was staged, we overheard the fireboss tell a cat skinner to build the firebreak on the private land because he didnt want a scar on the public land. That cat skinner told him in no uncertain terms what he thought about that idea, as the fire was a raging monster and the firebreak needed to be miles away from private land. :mad: The fireboss finally relented. :roll: And we took great care of the cat operators with hot coffee, cold pepsi and a steak supper. :D Fireboss got bologna! :p

After the fiasco, the state and county decided that it wouldnt happen again. All our rural departments got better funding for equipment like fast attack brushtrucks, wildland fire training, ect. Now when a fire is reported out here, every local department responds as well as BLM and Forest Service. The Feds get bent sometimes but they get over it. I will say the vast majority of the federal firefighters are young, willing, hardworking, smart folks who seem to get "held back" by leadership. :? Hope ya'll stay safe and knock those fires back quick. Good luck and many thoughts and prayers for ya'll.

During the summer of 2009 there were several big fires in this area. Most were in remote locations and didn't affect anything but nature. As the logging will never utilize all of this bug-wood, fire is the best thing that could happen to most of the country.

There was one huge fire in particular that did come close to 2 ranches without a lot being done to turn or stop it. A nephew of a close friend of ours was one of the straw-bosses and divulged the information that the top brass stated at one morning's briefing that they were going to let it burn and if a stump ranch or two were in the road it was too dam bad.
Thankfully, rain put the fires out a day or so later and we didn't see if this particular "expert" was serious.

Sitting here reading this and feeling so bad for everyone that has been
affected by fire.

Our neighbor in SD has been fighting fire in Colorado,
Nebraska, and South Dakota. We didn't get to have a long conversation
with him about it, as he is exhausted.

Praying for rain for the whole area.I wish there was more that
could be done.

Please everyone, be careful and stay safe.

katrina, I left a message on your cell phone a few days ago...did you get it?

Latest posts