• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FIRE!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

theHiredMansWife

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest corner of the Sandhills
I've been running a friend's store this week in the next town down the road from us while she's in Vegas.

She doesn't have a radio in the store, so all I can get is NPR via webcast. Which means I didn't know anything about the fire until a gal was in the store chatting with me and pointed, "Have you noticed it's really looking odd outside...?" I glanced out the front door (awning obscured my view) and the light was this weird yellow...

We both went out and stood in the middle of Main street and looked at the sky. There was an enourmous cloud of brown. Dust? she asked.

No, I said. Fire! A big one!

Neither of us had heard the alarm go off before that, but about 2 minutes later it blew again. And blew. And blew.

My husband is on the VFD in our community and they were called over to it, too. They evacuated the houses on the west end of the town I was in, closed the westbound lane on the highway, and didn't let the kids leave school.


23,000 acres yesterday before they got it contained. But the wind's come up again...

And I hear the alarm blowing now. And blowing. And blowing... :(
 

kolanuraven

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
10,861
Reaction score
4
Fire is the worst thing ever!! I was working a dig site N. of Belle Fouche SD one yr and fire broke out.

Out there there is nothing to slow it down and even though we were aobut 5 miles away....it was on us before we had to really get out.

Stay safe.
 

Jinglebob

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
0
Location
Western South Dakota
kolanuraven said:
Fire is the worst thing ever!! I was working a dig site N. of Belle Fouche SD one yr and fire broke out.

Out there there is nothing to slow it down and even though we were aobut 5 miles away....it was on us before we had to really get out.

Stay safe.

Sooo, what was you digging? How far from Belle? What year? :???:
 

kolanuraven

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
10,861
Reaction score
4
I do dinosaur research for various colleges at times...other times with private collectors. I think it was about 3 yrs ago....as to how far N. not sure about that.

Those long straight roads and "East" and "West" turns do get confusing to a gal raise in the South with crooked roads and " right" and " left" turns!!
I wasn't driving that year as I was working with someone else and let them worry about getting there!!!!

I was on a private ranch working and a BIG storm came ( hardly any rain...just wind and lightning!) and lightning started this fire....I mean it roared to life out of nowhere it seemed.

I do love that country.....except in the winter!! Toooooooo cold for this Southern Belle!!!
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
Be Careful and stay safe.Yall are in out thoughts and prayers.

Dang kolan that had to be awsome......I would love to help on a dig :D
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,632
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
MsSage said:
Be Careful and stay safe.Yall are in out thoughts and prayers.

Dang kolan that had to be awsome......I would love to help on a dig :D

I got lots of holes to dig and you can even bury a post in the hole when your done very rewarding. :nod: :nod:
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
LOL your so funny. Now if you could GUARANTEE I would find a dino I would but if no dino ~no digging
 

Jinglebob

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
0
Location
Western South Dakota
kolanuraven said:
I do dinosaur research for various colleges at times...other times with private collectors. I think it was about 3 yrs ago....as to how far N. not sure about that.

Those long straight roads and "East" and "West" turns do get confusing to a gal raise in the South with crooked roads and " right" and " left" turns!!
I wasn't driving that year as I was working with someone else and let them worry about getting there!!!!

I was on a private ranch working and a BIG storm came ( hardly any rain...just wind and lightning!) and lightning started this fire....I mean it roared to life out of nowhere it seemed.

I do love that country.....except in the winter!! Toooooooo cold for this Southern Belle!!!

We have dino bones, if anybody you know is interested. Ask nr, she and her husband helped dig a few and took a couple small pieces home with them. Quite a few in this area, I guess.
 

CattleRMe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
:( Fire is such a devistating thing in these rural areas. We live where the rural fire departments place fire rigs. The thing is they are old and beasts to drive and this time of year most are drained so they don't freeze. Plus add in the wind of Nebraska and a fire can just go wild. :(
 

kolanuraven

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
10,861
Reaction score
4
Jinglebob!! I'm interested. PM me with your location and I'm not exactly sure where we're gonna be this summer working but would LOVE to see what ya got!

I've got a buddy who works a ranch, and has for yrs, near Camp Crook....of course there's not too much near Camp Crook in any direction!!
 

kolanuraven

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
10,861
Reaction score
4
We were working on the MT side of the line....which I think is " main street"!!!

I like the desolation along with what I do.....gives the old brain a rest from the " world out there"!!
 

Tap

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2006
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
0
Location
anyplace you find me
Glad to hear they got the fire contained. Fire can be very scary.

I don't read all these posts as it takes too much time, but I happened to read this one, and saw Camp Crook mentioned. And North of Belle Fourche, at a dig.

We are starting to get a little too close to home for comfort here.

Small world.
 

Latest posts

Top