• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fires

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Last two days have kept the county busy. Had a big fire close to me started from a transformer or pump jack. Then county was mowing weeds on the road and started a big fire on the Powder. Now they are talking dry storms with all this wind we are having. In the neighborhood of a friend who bought my computer, so thought I would check in. Thinking about getting a laptop, any suggestions to a good cheap one? Have a good day, suppose to get close to 100 today with humidies in the single digits with 40 mph wind.

rancher said:
Last two days have kept the county busy. Had a big fire close to me started from a transformer or pump jack. Then county was mowing weeds on the road and started a big fire on the Powder. Now they are talking dry storms with all this wind we are having. In the neighborhood of a friend who bought my computer, so thought I would check in. Thinking about getting a laptop, any suggestions to a good cheap one? Have a good day, suppose to get close to 100 today with humidies in the single digits with 40 mph wind.

Hey rancher...good to see you back.

Please be safe in the fires! I hope the predictions are wrong and you don't get any dry lightning. We've been down that road this summer, and sure don't wish it on anyone.

We have a HP laptop that we really like.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

We've went a couple weeks without any major fires- no lightning storms --Knock on wood!!! Supposed to be in the 70's tommorrow- but still not seeing any big hopes for moisture.......

My son just picked up a laptop from the Radio Shack in Glendive that he packs with him in all his travelling- think it was just under $600...Seems to like it OK.....

The fire between Big Timber and Columbus has gotten I90 closed now, Nye and the surrounding area evacuated and going like heck with the high winds, doubled in size last night. Rumor has it that the ranchers had this one contained at 300 acres and the FS came and took it over because of the nearness of housing. Within hours of the bigshots taking it over, it went to 3000 acres, then 6000, then last night went to 14000. 165 homes are now threatened, sure am glad we got those professionals on our side :mad: :mad: :mad:

sw said:
The fire between Big Timber and Columbus has gotten I90 closed now, Nye and the surrounding area evacuated and going like heck with the high winds, doubled in size last night. Rumor has it that the ranchers had this one contained at 300 acres and the FS came and took it over because of the nearness of housing. Within hours of the bigshots taking it over, it went to 3000 acres, then 6000, then last night went to 14000. 165 homes are now threatened, sure am glad we got those professionals on our side :mad: :mad: :mad:

What makes it sadder is that I've heard and seen the same story on too too many occasions :( .....

sw said:

have ya heard about the biggun by Dillon?? Our skies had been clearing up til this danged wind kicked up yesterday...cannot see the foothills for the smoke now!!! :mad: hope everyone makes it through this okay!! Our temps here are dropping with this cold front coming in and the hubby is worrying about his 2nd cutting freezing up....temp here right now is only 48 degrees and the wind is still howling outside!!! :cry:

We had our turn again last night. Yesterday was in the mid 90's with a strong southeasterly wind. Around 6:00 last night a dry thunderstorm came thru and started around 10 or more fires. Everyone was pretty scattered out, but we got 'em out before the 60 mph winds came in during the middle of the night. There were a couple of flare up's during the big winds, but somehow they were put out again. They burned a fair amount of country, but could have been so much worse.

One more short, or long night. However you care to classify it. :wink: Oh, and I thought I might have to start a fire to warm up just before dawn this morning. :roll: :) It is only in the mid 50's, but it feels cold.

Tap - were you out on the fires all night long too? Ray and Linda G., Bob J. and Larry N. and I spent the day at the Brand Board meeting in Faith trying to keep our brand system from being destroyed. Just as we were rolling into Reva we could see what looked like smoke off to the west and they all tried calling someone over there to see what the deal was, but there is no cell phone coverage anywhere near here.

After listening to the fire radios all night, I know that I was the only one of the bunch that got to go to bed when I got home. How many stacks burned? And were any of the fires on your place? Do you have any idea how many acres burned?

I heard my brother-in-law and Chip out and about, but I couldn't tell where they were fighting fire.

cowsense said:
Ranchwife; We've got your smoke clear up into this country......4-500 miles north!!!!!

still awful hazy here this morning, but the temps were down into the real low 30's during the night and the wind has calmed down to a dull roar...hopefully, this will help the men and women on the front lines of the fires get a good start!!!

Geez FH those are some scary, scary pics. I am glad they were able to get the livestock out of harms way for now, and hopefully for good.

Those folks along with Tap's and LB's crew are in our thoughts and prayers. I think we ducked the fires last night, and are thankful for that.

Stay safe everyone. Remember in the end we can replace feed and livestock, but it's impossible to replace human lives.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

FH----thanks for posting the link...those pictures simply stop your heart!! i am praying for those who are evacuating and for those who have already had to pack and run!! :cry: :cry:

I was talking with a cattle buyer today that has a friend who runs 150 pairs on about a 12,000 acre pasture down there...He said that he got a call that all but a couple hundred acres of the pasture was all burned- and they had no idea where the cattle were...The guys taking care of them had been trying to herd them out of the way thru a big draw when the fire came in so fast, with flames going 50 feet above them, that they had to abandon the cattle and save themselves... Don't sound good...

Last night we got lightning, thunder, wind, and no rain...Started a lot of little fires, but it sounds like all were contained by the firefighters before they got too big......

How many stacks burned? And were any of the fires on your place? Do you have any idea how many acres burned?

I think Donn H. lost about 4-5 loose stacks from what I could see. He sure carries a lot of grass over in his pastures too. Well, I should say carried over in his desert claim. A lot of it burned. The closest fire to me was about a half dozen miles. I was the first on scene (with a pumper) on top of the Jumpoff, and we saved that one from getting down into the Jumpoff, thankfully. It was really rough right near the fire. I don't have a guess on acres. It was hard to tell in the dark. The later fire that I was at burned well over a mile east to west (I think), but was not as wide north to south. That was on Donn H. mostly. Your traveling companions yesterday won the award for the most fires. I think they had at least 5.

I am about to turn in. A half hour of sleep doesn't cut it. But I am not looking for sympathy. I can take it. :wink:

I was talking to a neighbor this morning who originally came from Montana and he said that the people he knows who live up there, where the latest big fire was, lost all of their pasture except for 80 acres. they saved the buildings, tho. Tuff luck. Hope them guys have some neighbors with some extra grass or hay. :???:

Jinglebob said:
I was talking to a neighbor this morning who originally came from Montana and he said that the people he knows who live up there, where the latest big fire was, lost all of their pasture except for 80 acres. they saved the buildings, tho. Tuff luck. Hope them guys have some neighbors with some extra grass or hay. :???:

The neighbors don't have grass as they never greened up this year that I know of. Have a friend that leases his grass and he said he had the worst drought that he can remember. He said they had the fire corraled at 240 acres and then the forest service boys kicked them off the fire. A bunch of mad ranchers there right now.

Latest posts