• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First dry lightning storm of the season...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
We have our first dry lightning storm of the season tonight. A dandy appears to be headed our way.

It looks like West Dakota Frank will get the fun first, and the wind is really blowing! The storm, right now, looks worse up his way than it does down ours.

Hope everything is ok Frank. I am praying for rain to come with this, as I am sure you are.

I am not sure which is worse, big spiders or dry lightning with lots of wind. OK, who am I kidding, it's not even close, dry lightning is way worse.

On the flip side...anyone know tips on taking good lightning pics?

Stay safe everyone...

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Yanuck said:
should you be on the computer in a lightening storm?!

No, probably not....but, we have wireless, both electrical (battery) and internet. It's still a ways west of us, but when it gets closer Wild Blue goes into hiding and we lose internet connection...I'm manning, er, more appropriately, womanning, the radar!

How's it going Yanuck?

Cheers---

Turkey Track Bar said:
Yanuck said:

No, probably not....but, we have wireless, both electrical (battery) and internet. It's still a ways west of us, but when it gets closer Wild Blue goes into hiding and we lose internet connection...I'm manning, er, more appropriately, womanning, the radar!

How's it going Yanuck?

Cheers---

just don't want you to get zapped!! its going, kids are back in school, its finally cooled off here, we traveled enough in August that I don't want to go even to the post office!! :lol: Did you guys have your sale yet?

Yanuck said:
Turkey Track Bar said:
Yanuck said:

How's it going Yanuck?

Cheers---

just don't want you to get zapped!! its going, kids are back in school, its finally cooled off here, we traveled enough in August that I don't want to go even to the post office!! :lol: Did you guys have your sale yet?

Yanuck, thanks for worrying, we don't want to get zapped either! I hope the young'uns are enjoying school. I always looked forward to going back. And I hear ya 'bout the mailman coming...seems they bring more bills than checks.

Thanks for asking about the sale, it's tomorrow evening. Hopefully we have a good go.

It looks like the lightning is changing from some strong cloud to ground strikes to sheet lightning. Hopefully it stays that way, we sure don't need to fight any fires tonight.

Cheers---

So how did you come out?
Ours wasn't dry(1/2 inch,thank you Lord) but my 4-year old found out how loud lightning can get. We had two that had to hit within 100 yards of the house!!!

Doug Thorson said:
So how did you come out?
Ours wasn't dry(1/2 inch,thank you Lord) but my 4-year old found out how loud lightning can get. We had two that had to hit within 100 yards of the house!!!

We lucked out. As the storm moved east it must have picked up moisture, and we got rain! :clap: The lightning was wicked though, and I think we probably had a stack get hit, just east of our house. Hopefully it was raining hard enough and long enough to not start. Of course hay fires really like to brew and simmer, so it'll probably go up when we're least expecting. I would guess we might dismantle the stack for a few days.

I am not sure what we got for rain, but whatever the amount, it was welcome. I know for about an hour it really poured.

Glad you guys got rain Doug. Were you getting dry?

Cheers---

Didn't know anything was happening, 'til we headed home. We had a VB match last night, and you could hear the thunder above the crowd! :shock: Thunder must've been pretty intense, the match was, but the girls pulled it off and won 3 games to 2. :clap: :clap:
We ended up getting about an inch of rain, some hail, not much! The real lightning storm went through before we left the gym. Then the second wave came through on our drive home, and while we was at home. We got just what the doctor ordered!

To take good lightning pictures: You need a good tripod, set your camera on manual focus and then to infinite (otherwise your autofocus won't work in the dark) set the camera on B (Bulb). Click the button to open the shutter, click again to close the shutter.

Then you get pic's like this:

IMGP7810.jpg

Frank in West Dakota said:
Didn't know anything was happening, 'til we headed home. We had a VB match last night, and you could hear the thunder above the crowd! :shock: Thunder must've been pretty intense, the match was, but the girls pulled it off and won 3 games to 2. :clap: :clap:
We ended up getting about an inch of rain, some hail, not much! The real lightning storm went through before we left the gym. Then the second wave came through on our drive home, and while we was at home. We got just what the doctor ordered!

To take good lightning pictures: You need a good tripod, set your camera on manual focus and then to infinite (otherwise your autofocus won't work in the dark) set the camera on B (Bulb). Click the button to open the shutter, click again to close the shutter.

Then you get pic's like this:

IMGP7810.jpg

Frank, congrats on the volleyball team's win. Who were they playing?

Also, AWESOME picture. Did you take that last night? Thanks for the tips. We'll have to see if I can make my little camera do that stuff!

And, I am thankful you got a nice rain. The lightning and thunder were sure something. We could hear thunder a good two to two and a half hours before the storm even got close.

Have a great day Frank. Don't get stuck!

Cheers---

Turkey Track Bar said:
Frank, congrats on the volleyball team's win. Who were they playing?

Faith

Did you take that last night? Thanks for the tips. We'll have to see if I can make my little camera do that stuff!

No, that pic was taken July 8th.
I'm not sure an idiot-proof camera can do all the things an SLR can do. Make sure it has a "B" setting. and as far as focusing goes, not sure how that'd work! :?:

Turkey Track Bar said:
Faster horses said:
You stay safe, too!!!!

We had one of those a couple of nights ago.
Made quite a light show!!!

Thank you FH. Did you get the hail that Bowman got?

Cheers---

how bad did Bowman get hit? i was in Bowman on Tuesday, and heard they had some bad hail, but didn't see any evidence of it coming in from the south.

We got .25 inch at the house, Baker got close to an inch. No hail
that I know of; in fact, I didn't know Bowman got hail til I read
it here. :?

Guess I should get out more! :p

Frank, awesome shot!! Why didn't you save that for the
photo contest???????????

Latest posts