• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fishin trip

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowhunter

Reaction score
We went saturday and I'm sorry I aint took but one pic in that beautiful, wild country. The pic is of my to castneters. Both cowmen but sorry castneters. We caught only 3 mullet, they were skatered, but the other boat had a old south fla cowman that could sure throw a net. We met then at the landin at 1 and they had plenty of fish. We cooked a big pot of swamp cabbage,fryed some taters, unions and fish. Mullet has a gizard like a chicken and we fryed them to. We all about got foundered. Years ago, there were lots of scrub cattle on the coast. They would graze the lush marsh grass when the tide went out. Then get on a island when it came back. Then when it went out again they would graze a while, then go to the main land and water. Then start all over again. I'll get some picks of this grass next time I go. I think yall will be amaised at how lush and vast this natural pasture is. Its ashamed it can't be used today. If u got a boat that's bad enough, u can run way up them creeks and still see the old trails that only the deer and wild hogs use today. I found what was left of a old whiskey still one time.

You just made me want to see the places you just described. Maybe someday. That's the trouble with this board. It gives a fellow a bad case of the wanderlust . . .

Its a wilderness. Lots of islands with pine, scrub oak,palmetto and swamp cabbage growin. Full of deer, wild hog, armdillers and lots of coons.thousands of birds to. The outer islands have white sand beaches with lots of indian potter shards. Some have had a texture of a corn cob rolled on them and some will have little finger nail prints. There's huge piles of oyster shell mounds where them indian's eat there fill.

IMG00175.jpg

Glad you had a good day fishing. :D

I was patching fence. :( :lol: :lol:

Thanks for pistin the sorry pic big muddy. I'm not liein when I say I wish I could patch some fence. Lol! I'd enjoy it better than a fishin trip. U need to get u a texas fence strecher. They sure make tightinin wire a quick job. There advertised on rfd ag channel. I'll send u a pic or ours in action.

cowhunter said:
Thanks for pistin the sorry pic big muddy. I'm not liein when I say I wish I could patch some fence. Lol! I'd enjoy it better than a fishin trip. U need to get u a texas fence strecher. They sure make tightinin wire a quick job. There advertised on rfd ag channel. I'll send u a pic or ours in action.

I use a Hayes chain tightener, Works great for how we fix fence. I have seen those Texas fence tighteners. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
cowhunter said:

I use a Hayes chain tightener, Works great for how we fix fence. I have seen those Texas fence tighteners. :?

The Texas fence stretcher doesn't look good to me. All it would do is make it harder to ever fix the fence right. I don't like to stretch fence anywhere where there is not already a splice. Another method that just burns me is the one that twirls up the wire leaving a permanent kink. This will only break if the fence is stretched correctly.

Big Muddy rancher said:

You better hope you got it all patched- as it looks like tomorrow could be wet....Radar shows the moisture moving north is to Jordan now- and is supposed to go north of the Missouri after midnite... :)

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

You better hope you got it all patched- as it looks like tomorrow could be wet....Radar shows the moisture moving north is to Jordan now- and is supposed to go north of the Missouri after midnite... :)

Moisture is always welcome but I am never done patchin' fence. :D :cry:

Stretchers. We got a lot of fence runnin threw woods. Limbs down on it sometimes after every breeze or rain. With this new stretcher, we can get the limb off, maybe loosein a few staples then pull and stretch both ways at once real quick and get it tighter than it was. It works good for us and the new tool is quick. Anyway, a pasture ,5 stran barb wire fence aint much more than a bluff to these little cattle. If they won't gone, some will jump a cowpen. The gatherin before last, a new cow I just got jumped out 4 times. She got roped and drug across the prarie back to the pens, now she behaves. I know can't stand a bunch of splices, patchin and diferent lookin post but I don't see stretchin a 1/4 of new wire to make a patch look good. I guess its the cracker way because I done know anybody that fixs it back new. Were a sorry, lazy bunch down here, us crackers. And take pride in a good patch. Lol!

Latest posts