• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Foot and Mouth

Help Support Ranchers.net:

stetson

Reaction score
Many express concern about FMD and the USDA claims to have a plan for control. But when I asked what was the plan for control of migratory
cloven hoofed wild life ( deer, elk, antilope) all I got was a blank stare.
They finally said that it was a Fish and Wildlife problemb.
When I then asked what the Fish and Wild Life plan was I was told that they would let it be self corrected by letting the animals return to their own water shed and no other control was envisioned.
We have White Tail deer on our place year around with Mule Deer coming in during the winter, also a occasional Elk.
I beleive these animals cover many miles during migration and could infect many domestic herds.
If a plan is not made and the fish and wild life wait for the disease to apear we will have to confront all the tree huggers as a solution is sought.
How do we put this potential problemb on the front burner?

stetson said:
Many express concern about FMD and the USDA claims to have a plan for control. But when I asked what was the plan for control of migratory
cloven hoofed wild life ( deer, elk, antilope) all I got was a blank stare.
They finally said that it was a Fish and Wildlife problemb.
When I then asked what the Fish and Wild Life plan was I was told that they would let it be self corrected by letting the animals return to their own water shed and no other control was envisioned.
We have White Tail deer on our place year around with Mule Deer coming in during the winter, also a occasional Elk.
I beleive these animals cover many miles during migration and could infect many domestic herds.
If a plan is not made and the fish and wild life wait for the disease to apear we will have to confront all the tree huggers as a solution is sought.
How do we put this potential problemb on the front burner?

We already have problems with the transmission of EHD's (Blue Tongue) to cattle down here.

It is legal to shoot 150 deer per person per year. More, if you are on the game management program. Keeping the numbers in check is not an answer but it sure can't hurt.

Latest posts