• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Football and Politics should they mix???????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Was Clint Eastwood's /Chrysler Super Bowl ad a Political ad supporting Obama and the automaker bailouts?

Eastwood's Super Bowl ad sparks the discord it decries Obama campaign urges donors to back 'super PAC'
11:32 a.m. EST, February 7, 2012
Clint Eastwood defended his now-controversial Chrysler ad that aired during the Super bowl, in which he implored the nation to overcome its differences and work together to revive the economy, denying any ties to President Obama and saying that the spot was intended to be apolitical.

Eastwood on Monday evening gave a statement to Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor"--an implicit nod to conservatives who might have been riled by what they viewed as an Obama reelection campaign commercial. The ad celebrates the city of Detroit, suggesting that it was teetering on the edge of collapse before the residents "all pulled together," as Eastwood says in the spot.

It was unclear to viewers what the ad was promoting because no cars are shown and Chrysler's name isn't mentioned until the end. But "all pulled together" was seen by critics such as Karl Rove as code for the government's bailout of Chrysler and General Motors. Rove on Monday accused Eastwood and Chrysler of working hand-and-hand with Obama's campaign.

"I just want to say that the spin stops with you guys, and there is no spin in that ad. On this I am certain," Eastwood declared, referring to O'Reilly's long-established "No-Spin Zone."

"l am certainly not politically affiliated with Mr. Obama. It was meant to be a message about just about job growth and the spirit of America. I think all politicians will agree with it. I thought the spirit was OK. I am not supporting any politician," the actor and award-winning director said.

"Chrysler to their credit didn't even have cars in the ad. Anything they gave me for it went to charity," he added. "If Obama or any other politician wants to run with the spirit of that ad, I say go for it."

O'Reilly, who repeatedly asserted how tight he is with Eastwood, defended the star, calling him independent and a "straight shooter." (Eastwood's countless cinematic victims will testify to that.)

"Now Eastwood--who tried to do a good thing," O'Reilly said, "now this guy is getting hammered as an ideologue. He's caught in the political wars. That's why people are cautious about doing any of this stuff. I don't think that's fair to Eastwood."

Still, O'Reilly guest, public relations expert Mike Paul, was not assuaged. He saw a subliminal message in the spot favoring the president.

"To me, it was a classic 'thank you' ad," Paul said. "Thank you for bailing us out."

"I know this guy," O'Reilly said. "He's not trying to get anyone elected."

Regardless of intent, the timing could not have been better for Obama. Not only did it give the White House a chance to crow about the auto industry bailout, the ad was undoubtedly seen by millions and millions of potential voters. The game between the Giants and Patriots was the most-watched TV program of all time, racking up 111 million viewers.

I saw the ad and I have to say it looks more like a political ad especially when Eastwood said this is only half time and Obama is hoping to get re-elected to play the second half of his LIMITED time. If it wasn't meant to be a free political ad for Obama IT SURE LOOKED LIKE IT and it hit a very LARGE audience. :roll:

It was unclear to viewers what the ad was promoting because no cars are shown and Chrysler's name isn't mentioned

there were several cars shown.. an RT Challenger, a ram pickup,.. a jeep wrangler, several Grand Cherokees on the assembly line,

it was a good inspirational ad.. it was clearly within the them Chrysler has been promoting, (Detroit and revival)

as a long time jeep/Chrysler owner,... I will never buy another piece of crap they sell.. (more because of the total lack of quality in the cars),. but the ads are pretty good..

as for it being political.. you could make anything political... I saw it as a car ad.

and Eastwood did a great job in the ad..

if there was a political intent, and a subliminal payoff/thanks it has now backfired.. and left mud on an already battered Chrysler image..

Two members of the creative team that produced the two-minute minute spot for ad agency Wieden+Kennedy donated their personal time in 2008 to make pro-Obama art.
This year's most discussed Super Bowl ad—a two-minute spot for Chrysler narrated by Clint Eastwood—continues to generate controversy in conservative political circles, where a host of questions have been raised about the automaker's alleged motives for commissioning the advertisement.

In the days ahead, similar politically charged queries also are likely to be raised about the highly regarded Portland Oregon-based ad agency that produced the spot—Wieden+Kennedy, some of whose key creative professionals privately supported Barack Obama in the 2008 election.

Eastwood was the surprise narrator of the spot that aired during Sunday's NFL title game, one which both Republican and Democratic politicos have characterized as subtly echoing some of the incumbent president's major reelection campaign themes. Political advertising mavens also have pointed out that the Chrysler ad's title and theme—"It's Halftime in America"—closely parallels one of the two most famous campaign ads in history: Ronald Reagan's famous—and legendarily effective—"It's Morning in America" spot.

In an appearance on Fox News Monday, GOP political strategist Karl Rove charged that, "The leadership of the auto companies feel they need to do something to repay their political patronage. It is a sign of what happens when you have Chicago-style politics, and the president of the United States and his political minions are, in essence, using our tax dollars to buy corporate advertising."

Chrysler Chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne, however, insisted to a Detroit radio station interviewer that the spot had "zero political content. I think we need to be careful, and God knows, I mean I can't stop anybody from associating themselves with a message but it was not intended to be any type of political overture on our part."

STORY: Clint Eastwood on Chrysler Super Bowl Ad: 'I Am Certainly Not Affiliated With Mr. Obama'

Similarly, in an email to the New York Times Tuesday, Eastwood wrote, "The ad doesn't have a political message. It is about American spirit, pride and job growth." (Chrysler paid NBC about $12.8 million to air the spot; Eastwood will reportedly donate his fees for narrating and briefly appearing in the ad to charity.)

Wieden+Kennedy, which produced "It's Halftime in America," has a reputation as a highly creative ad agency with a flair for weaving appealing, socially conscious themes into its clients' messages. Its major corporate accounts include Nike, Coca Cola, ESPN, Honda, Old Spice, Microsoft, Proctor and Gamble, Starbucks, Heineken, Dodge and Chrysler for which it produced a Super Bowl spot last year. The agency currently is collaborating with former Vice President Al Gore on a project linking gaming and concern over global warming.

PHOTOS: 10 Entertainers Democrats and Republicans Love to Hate

Several members of the Wieden+Kennedy team that produced the Eastwood spot were among the creative professionals who privately supported Obama's first election campaign. Creative director Aaron Allen, for example, created a striking poster, called "United the States of America," on candidate Obama's behalf. The poster shows an Obama silhouette bringing together red and blue spheres meant to represent America's partisan division. His official bio notes that he "also works on personal art projects, including a poster for the 2008 Obama campaign that was shown in several galleries and publications."

The ad's art director, Jimm Lasser, created an entire art exhibit in New York around Nike-style shoes bearing Obama's image. Another of the creative directors, Michael Tabtabai has used his Twitter account recently to send out the message "Obama x Incredible Hulk. America STRONG!" and linking to an image of an action doll of the president looking like the comic book super hero.

The Eastwood spot actually was produced by Los Angeles and New York-based Chelsea Pictures, which selected David Gordon Green, best known for the comedy film Pineapple Express, to direct the ad.

In the Chrysler ad, the director and star narrates an inspirational message while images of Detroit assembly lines and ordinary working Americans roll across the screen. Finally, Eastwood emerges from a gritty tunnel to speak to the camera in person. "It's halftime. Both teams are in their locker rooms discussing what they can do to win this game in the second half," Eastwood begins. "It's halftime in America, too. People are out of work and they're hurting. And they're all wondering what they're gonna do to make a comeback.
ANALYSIS: Was Chrysler's Super Bowl Commercial a Nod to Obama?

"We find a way through tough times, and if we can't find a way then we'll make one. All that matters now is what's ahead, how do we come from behind, how do we come together, and how do we win. Detroit's showing us it can be done." Eastwood also speaks of an America "roaring back."
Just an hour or so before the spot aired, Obama told a pre-game interviewer that he "deserves a second term," in part because his economic policies have coaxed the country into recovery—a point Democrats argue was reinforced by the most recent declines in unemployment. The President made a similar set of points during a recent address in the Motor City, where his administration's successful bailouts of Chrysler and General Motors are highly poplar.

While the background of some of Wieden+Kennedy's creative team probably will fuel further conservative suspicions, there's also some online evidence suggesting that there was neither consultation nor collaboration between the agency and the Obama reelection campaign. Following the president's Labor Day speech to a Detroit audience, creative director Joe Staples tweeted, "I think Obama just paraphrased our ad in his Labor Day speech [from Detroit] Holy crap."

Sunday, Obama political adviser David Axelrod tweeted that the ad was a "powerful spot", but then went on to wonder, "Did Clint shoot that, or just narrate it?"

Chrysler's spot, moreover, wasn't the only Super Bowl ad that seemed to adopt themes from the Obama reelection campaign's playbook. GE's advertisement showed American workers once more on the assembly line turning out industrial projects for domestic consumption, something the president hopes to encourage with his policies. Both ads sounded themes similar to Obama's in front of the largest audience ever to watch an American television broadcast—111.3 million people.

Some R cultists have such a desire for the country to fail, so Obama will fail --It just kills them to hear anyone say anything positive about the country or the economy or hear anyone give an inspirational or positive talk.... :( :mad:

obama should let God's answers to his prayers guide his decision when it comes to this, taxation, or anything else that affects the country as a whole.

right OT?

Oldtimer said:
Some R cultists have such a desire for the country to fail, so Obama will fail --It just kills them to hear anyone say anything positive about the country or the economy or hear anyone give an inspirational or positive talk.... :( :mad:

both Republican and Democratic politicos have characterized as subtly echoing some of the incumbent president's major reelection campaign themes.

It was a Super Bowl CAR ad and even the Democrat Politicos felt it echoed the Obama campaign rhedoric. :roll:

So what do you think Oldtimer Was Chrysler secretly contributing to Obama's super pac or is it just a coincidence that the Ad agency worked for both. :? :roll:

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

both Republican and Democratic politicos have characterized as subtly echoing some of the incumbent president's major reelection campaign themes.

It was a Super Bowl CAR ad and even the Democrat Politicos felt it echoed the Obama campaign rhedoric. :roll:

So what do you think Oldtimer Was Chrysler secretly contributing to Obama's super pac or is it just a coincidence that the Ad agency worked for both. :? :roll:

Seeing as Chrysler is an American government owned company, don't you think they should be able to campaign for whomever they wish, it shows they are not biased....

Oh wait......
icon_smack.gif

Maybe obama should use more taxpayer money to buy private companies

Oldtimer said:

Bull puckey, oldibelieveinchange. The guy you wear kneepads for has already failed, he just doesn't realize it yet. Clint swears the ad wasn't political, but as Josey Wales would say, "I reckon you could take it that way".

Since the wife had an idiot pull out in front of her at an intersection while she was running 60mph (highway speed) that totalled our vehicle in December, yesterday I finally found and bought her vehicle replacement after much searching on the internet, trips to look at vehicles, and lots of time on the phone. As I have said before, I'll never buy another GM vehicle or stoop to buying a Chrysler product because they both took bailouts. Sure didn't buy a riceburner, either.

My wife walked away from that accident without even a scratch. The adjuster totalled the Expedition out, and credited the airbags and seatbelt for helping, but he laid her lack of injury onto the Ranch Hand I had tied onto the front end. The Ranch Hand gave, but the frame broke....otherwise the motor would have ended up in my wife's lap.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours moved to a new level at tax payers expense. :x

Obama used tax payer money to pay back his 2008 donors (Solynder) and now it looks like Chrysler got caught paying Obama back with tax payer money. To bad they played Clint Eastwood and got him to campaign for the Chicago Machine. :roll:

Clint Eastwood Super Bowl Ad Parody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQo8p92iPk

"go ahead, make my halftime"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts