• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

For all you who want to see farm pictures..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
100_0586.jpg

MY hubby and his silage chopper.

100_0582.jpg

Corn strips... Will pick or combine the strips.

100_0584.jpg

Hubby dumping into son #1's truck.....

100_0579.jpg

Another picture

100_0578.jpg

last strip on this field and on to the next...Yee Hawww

100_0575.jpg

Weighing up a load of silage on the scale.

100_0576.jpg

Dumping at the pit.....

OK Questions?
Why the strips?
Do you have to cover the silage?
How well does it keep?
Wow I thought i had some hills in my corn field. But you got some.

OK Questions?
Why the strips?
How well does it keep?
Wow I thought i had some hills in my corn field. But you got some

To keep from blowing...
Yes we do... Want to come and help??
Wonderful.... Will be very little if any spoiling......
This is a field we had wheat on and just planted into the stubble.... The stubble saved our hinies, because it held in any moiture we had and protected the small corn plants from the hellish wind that we had that took our wheat......

katrina said:
OK Questions?
Why the strips?
How well does it keep?

To keep from blowing...
This is a field we had wheat on and just planted into the stubble.... The stubble saved our hinies, because it held in any moiture we had and protected the small corn plants from the hellish wind that we had that took our wheat......

To keep what from blowing? How long will the strips remain?

Keep the dirt from blowing...... How long will the strips last??? Depends on the year. If we have a ton of snow not vary long.. The snow will drift in the stalks and is great for keeping moisture to soak into the ground... I'm guessing we will plant spring wheat next year on this field. Sometimes we turn cows in on the strips to clean up any corn and stalks. Hubby doesn't like them there vary long because they pack the ground and makes it harder to work the next time... We do little or no summer fellow...

Great pictures, Katrina. Sure is interesting to see how others do it.

Nuther question - what kind of soil do you have?

A tip to help make the job of covering that pile easier - just spray a little WD40 . . .

:)

What kinda soil? Hubby says it's sandy....... But me being from the sandhills.... I say he don't know what sand is......
Yes sir......I am the WD40 queen...... :lol:

I would think that if you sprayed the pile with WD-40 the cows would not eat it? :???:

What kind of dump wagon is that. And I know how to stand on the tarp till the sides are covered with dirt!!!! But I don't want to help!!!! LOL

Interesting Katrina- I've never seen corn stripped like that before-- but around here what little corn is raised is mostly raised on irrigated ground....

katrina said:
OK Questions?
Why the strips?
How well does it keep?

To keep from blowing...

The major difference I see (besides the strips) is the corn plants seem a lot smaller there, than what they raise here in TN. Also I've never seen a silage cutter of that size here, probably because of smaller herds of cattle.

alabama said:
I would think that if you sprayed the pile with WD-40 the cows would not eat it? :???:

Well maybe not, but it would be sealed, at least. Because WD40 leaves a film on everything you spray it on, right, Katrina?

It's a joke, 'Bama, it's a joke. Ya, I know, sad ain't it.

Jeez, I hope you didn't rush out and spray your pile with WD40!!!

Our corn crop is'nt worth chopping this year :cry2: We will just graze it.

The guys who always help chop called last night hopeing I changed my mind they will take vacation just to chop corn it is fun though.

katrina said:
What kinda soil? Hubby says it's sandy....... But me being from the sandhills.... I say he don't know what sand is......
Yes sir......I am the WD40 queen...... :lol:
HAHAHA! You Rosebudders have such a sense of humor. :wink: Soil is sandy loam? Great pictures!

Katrina- Am I correct in assuming that you did not get a good yield this year because of the drought? If you would have had good rainfall, would you have let the corn mature to full adult, or would you have still made silage from it? What kind of yields would you have gotten if you had left it to mature? On an average rainfall year, I mean.

DOC HARRIS

what is the estimated yeild on that corn? looks sorta thin from the pics, but they are decieving.

next year, will you come chop mine??? trade you 3 good hot meals and a KSU t-shirt !

Cal, You're real funny........ And correct.. :D
Doc, We would be tickled with 50 bushel corn... Yes we would let some mature and either shell it with the combine or pick it in the ears for ear corn.. And feed ear corn to the cows on pasture and it also makes great calf feed for spring calves after weaning.
Hubby will go back this fall and combine what ever is there for shell corn..
In one of the pictures you can see our sunflower field and see that the heads are starting to turn down...They are filled now and all we need is some drying weather and a good frost........
Carter took the pictures for his FFA books.( that's why there is so many pictures of the truck.) 8)

Latest posts