• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

For all you who want to see farm pictures..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I had a friend got killed in '03 just before harvest so I went and helped take off 450 acres of irrigated corn that went 20 plus tonnes an acre. For somebody who hates equipment as much as me that was quite the contract but we sure had a big pile of it when we were all done. You must have some great pheasant hunting in your neck of the woods-that looks like something I'd like to try. I might be heading through Nebraska in November if a horse deal in the works goes through. Has anybody ever seeded fall rye on top of their pits instead of covering it with plastic-some guys claim it works pretty good.

NR......Pheasant hunting is just north of us.... Big Big deal there. WE really don't have to many pheasants and what we do have, all of them have social security cards. :wink:
Never have seen any rye......We cover ours, because there is just no waste when we do....
WE have three silage pits. I will get a picture of ours here in the yard when I can....

WE have a couple guys around here who are running big, brand new JD choppers... We get 20-24 tons an acre of non irrigated fields but this is corn belt area with 200 bushel corn so that makes a big difference. Most peoplea re chopping for the various small feedlots around and for dairies. My neighbor does a pull type and puts up 100 acres a year and buys all the seed corn silage from one of the local plants. Okay food.. Most folks around here are doing bunkers but some do the bags... These are the smaller folks (Except the neighbor who probably has 4000 tons (if not more)of silage put up a year when it is all said and done and still does bunkers). the big feed lot built a pit..

It is quite an operation, putting up all that silage.... Lot of iron in the field at once and back at the pit.. I think we will go the custom route..

Latest posts