• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

For Steve - Army recruiting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
This shows you how tough recruiting for active duty Army, NG and Army Reserve is becoming. It's going to cost the Army big bucks to run these GED classes and who knows how many will fail the test? Full article here; link below; my emphasis.
From The Army Times:

"Army recruiters now have a wider pool to find future soldiers in. The Army is reaching out to a slice of America's youth long ineligible to serve: non-high school graduates who don't have a General Equivalency Diploma Recruiters can now go after that demographic through the "Army Educations Plus" option, the Army announced Tuesday.

If an individual has been out of high school for at least six months, can pass a physical exam and the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, he or she may be eligible for help getting a GED.

The program allows recruiters to enlist a high school dropout, according to S. Douglas Smith, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Recruiting Command. But the enlistee must have the GED before shipping off to basic training.

The Army will pay for individuals to attend a course to prepare for the GED test and will cover the cost of taking the GED exam.

Before attending the GED course on the Army's tab, the person must enlist into the Army's delayed entry program, Smith said.

The regular Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard are each offering this option, as of Tuesday.

What will not change is the Army's cap on the percentage of how many new soldiers may enlist with a GED versus a high school diploma, Smith said. That limit is 10 percent of all new soldiers for the year.

Smith said last week that senior Army leadership has acknowledged that the active duty Army, Reserve and Guard will each miss their respective annual goals for fiscal 2005, which ends this month."

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1115623.php

Giving young adults a second chance at a better future and all you can worry about is the $25 it will cost to administer a GED?

what about the cost of not giving them a second chance? A year in Jail costs alot more then an entire enlistment, welfare benifits cost more to print then this test....and I'm sure the differance in social programs is great,

but I thought you liberals were for taking the low achievers and giving them an oportunity,,,

is $25 to much to pay for a young adult with little or no real future to get a little training, and possibly a career in the service to thier country...

So Disagreeable is $25 to much to spend on one person to allow then a chance at a better future?

Steve said:
Giving young adults a second chance at a better future and all you can worry about is the $25 it will cost to administer a GED?

what about the cost of not giving them a second chance? A year in Jail costs alot more then an entire enlistment, welfare benifits cost more to print then this test....and I'm sure the differance in social programs is great,

but I thought you liberals were for taking the low achievers and giving them an oportunity,,,

is $25 to much to pay for a young adult with little or no real future to get a little training, and possibly a career in the service to thier country...

So Disagreeable is $25 to much to spend on one person to allow then a chance at a better future?

My thoughts exactly Steve. Why discriminate against these kids that might have had problems in school. It gives them a great chance at a better life.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Steve said:

My thoughts exactly Steve. Why discriminate against these kids that might have had problems in school. It gives them a great chance at a better life.
If it can be twisted around to trash Bush, then no problem. :roll:

ROTFLMAO! :lol: Are my eyes deceiving me? What's happened to "personal responsibility?" If someone drops out of school, isn't it his "personal responsibility" to get his own GED? Why should society help his lazy, sorry behind out? Where's the accountability? What a laugh this has given me this morning!

Steve said:

It's going to cost more than $25 per person. The classes will require a teacher, books, office space, gasoline for the instructor, insurance.... The test, itself, will probably be $25. Or they'll contract with an agency to do the teaching and testing.

I personally don't have a problem with it. I'm getting a good laugh from those people on this board who think the government should stay out of our education system, who scream about personal responsbility and accountability, suddenly switching course and supporting this move. I posted it, of course, to show Steve that the Army is having a problem meeting their recruiting goals, mainly because of the war in Iraq.

katrina said:
Talking about recruiting, Our neighbor boy enlisted and they are full. He couldn't get into the training he wanted because the Navy is full..

My emphasis.

LOL. Thank you, Katrina, for proving my point again. Why didn't he join the Army? They're not full.

It's going to cost more than $25 per person. The classes will require a teacher, books, office space, gasoline for the instructor, insurance....

what you think I pulled the number out my rear, no, I called our local school, and asked how much the GED prep. class was,,,,,, and was told it is $25, including test....so it is going to cost $25....per enlistee from my area...

If you don't have a problem with it then why not "support it"

there is a big differance between demanding personnel accountability, and giving someone who is trying a second chance....so keep laughing,,,,,it shows what an donkey you can be...

I would even support taking those heading to jail for "minor" crimes and allow them to join...given close supervision, leadership, I'm sure the service could help alot of these "throw-away teens you liberals seem to care so much for but do nothing for....

he has dreamed of being a navy seal....

There is little that can measure to that ambition, but if he is made of the material that drives a seal, then little will stop him, ,,,,

Has he thought about the Acadamy?.
It is a route few think of and will take him further in his goals....

katrina said:
Because dis he has dreamed of being a navy seal since he was little. I don't think you can be a navy seal in the army.... :roll:

But you said he couldn't get the training he wanted in the Navy anyway. So why not the larger sign on bonus in the Army?

Latest posts