• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Freak of Nature???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've had to give injections to some folks with hind end looks just like that bull, same sickly color, too.

I knew that guy was a Belgium Blue...and was just heckling Mike...I personally like his bull Rio Blanco a million times better than this bull.

A couple interesting stories about the Blues...

We were at the National Red Angus Show held at the Iowa State Fair this summer. The Red Angus Show had half the ring, and the Blues and Lowlines (formerly called Loalas) had the other half...one of the Lowline heifers was in heat and a Blue (that looked really similar to the one pictured here) took an immense interest in her :!: :!: :!: :!: ...but nothing happened, lucky for all parties involved!!!

Secondly, they show the Blues very slick shorn, so it appears that the breed's fitting tool of choice is what I call a tank cleaning brush. As you can see they are very double muscled, so therefore they defecate on themselves. When this occurs the fitter, owner, and/or shower comes running with this big tank cleaning brush and a bucket of water and REALLY scrubs the butts of these guys...to the point of making their pink skin red!!!

And, after visiting with the breeder/owner of the National Champion Bull we learned the breed of choice to cross with the Blues is Limousin. I'll readily admit that they had some 1/2 or 1/4 (looked like the other breed was Angus) that were decent looking critters...

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

PS Mr TTB thinks the Blues are cool... :roll: :roll:

Faster horses said:
Cool for what? Pulling a wagon? :shock:

Nope, you wouldn't dare sit that close behind 'em. :wink:

Oh I don't think he thinks they're all that useful...just "cool" to look at. After Des Moines he thought we needed one to add to our freak show at home...one eyed pony, fainting goat...but they're a little spendier than either of the other occupants of the freak show, so thankfully we don't own one.

He kinda made friends with the owner of the National Champion...that bull had sold to one of the semen studs for $5000 and they guy was tickled pink!

Cheers---

Some neighbours were gonna jump in the cow business and make a quick killing.......a promoter sold them some blues.....they rented a little pasture on the creek and turned out their hi-priced bull. Every time I drove by he was laying in the same spot, same position, I almost wondered if he was dead! He might as well have been because next year there were NO calves- the saving grace was the kill buyers like those double muscle grinders and paid a nickle premium to buy the people out of the cow business!

Mike said:
Turkey Track Bar said:
Hey Mike!!!

Is that your star Charolais sire Rio Blanco????

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep it terminal...ha, ha, ha....

Cheers---

No, today's Chars have lost all that muscle. Shame. But he looks like a Char bull I bought back in the early 1960's.

Bred the low end of the dairy herd to him and made some dang good calves. Funny thing is........the calves don't come out looking like that.
I don't remember pulling any more of those than we did the Holsteins.

But I will concede that the folks that bred those little 800 pound "Knotty" beef cattle had a heckuva time. Moderate wasn't fast enough for those guys then.

In my opinion somewhere between what this bull looks like and what we have today will be the norm in the future. We have way too much fat now and not enough lean meat. Yield grades are suffering and we have "Gone Flabby".

Iremember seeing ''sir sam 21?'' at the american royal in kansas city in the 60's. Does that name sound right Mike? He really looked impresive compared to the english breeds at the time. I remember that the first char. bull we bought was a 1/2 blood because that was about all that was available. My how times have changed :shock:

Iremember seeing ''sir sam 21?'' at the american royal in kansas city in the 60's. Does that name sound right Mike? He really looked impresive compared to the english breeds at the time. I remember that the first char. bull we bought was a 1/2 blood because that was about all that was available. My how times have changed Shocked

They painted him black and he won Grand Champion at the Denver Nationals as an Angus. McDonalds had paid about $20,000.00 for him as a steer for advertising puposes. It was a cool scandal.

McDonalds had his name changed to "Big Mac".

Hey cowsense, your post reminded me of a joke.

Some city folks bought a ranch and decided to get into the cattle business. They bought 200 cows. Came the next spring and they didn't have any calves so they went over to the neighbors, told him of their problem and asked him to come and take a look. So he drove over to their place, took a look around and told them they didn't have any bulls and that they had to have bulls to have calves.

The next year, the citified rancher came back to the neighbors place with the same problem. No calves. So the neighbor drove over to take a look and found the problem.

They had sold the cows and bought 200 bulls. :shock:

Latest posts