• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

from ranchers market page

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin

Reaction score
HAIL TO THE CHIEF

OBAMA CARE PART II -- HELP DOWN ON THE FARM

Lots of problems loom for the country but for me individually, this has been a good year. Finally, we have a President intent on living up to his promises. Obama campaigned on change. He promised a level playing field and he has delivered.

First a little background. My Dad was what you might call a pioneer in these parts. He moved to a farm in Scott County, Iowa, just north of Davenport and within a few miles of the Mississippi River, when he was 27 – moving west from Virginia and looking to build a future. My Dad was a hard worker. Starting with a section of farmland, he spent his life adding a few acres on the north, south, east and west to the point of his death in 1964, he owned 10,000 acres of prime Midwestern farm land. Corn was his main crop but soon he was large in animal production raising both pigs and cattle. He left the land to his two sons, me and my brother Jim.

Jim is competitive. All he can think about is how he can do more than Dad. I am more balanced, realizing that there is more to life than work. We like to spend at least half the year [the winter] in Phoenix then spend part of the summer in Rancho Santa Fe, near San Diego. I like golf and am pretty good.

Jim is the type guy that is up before daylight and always planning the day and figuring out ways to grow his business. I don't know if it is true but Jim may be part of the 1% those guys in the tents are complaining about. Today he has grown the 5,000 he inherited from Dad to 25,000 acres. He owns and feeds 10,000 cattle in a feedlot just over the hill from my house. Pig barns are all over the place.

President Obama understands how the world works. People like Jim have enough and rules need to be in place to share the wealth. Their taxes need to be raised to the point they won't want to work harder. That will make it easier on the rest of us. I have had some financial reversals and it isn't fair that I don't get a leg up. I need help to compete. I am down to just over 700 acres of farmland and struggling to make that work. The President has done a lot to help me.

· Farm payments. First he has capped Jim's farm payments. The country can't continue subsidizing the richest farmers. I now get as much government dole as Jim.

· Government disaster payments. Two years ago the Mississippi flooded and we lost all our crops. I was able to get paid for all my lost production but Jim failed to get help because of his size.

· Regulation. President Obama recognizes the small family farmer can't be regulated to death so he declared farms my size exempt from any regulation. Jim has government people checking nitrates in his soil, dust in his air and looking for any contaminants in his water.

· Labor laws. One very important bill the President introduced was the child labor act for agriculture. He stopped youngsters under 16 from working on the farm. They can no longer brand cattle – you know those calves can kick, or drive a tractor or most any other work. Jim was really mad because all of his kids helped out on the farm. My two kids wouldn't be caught dead on a tractor.

· Fair pricing. I raise almost 80 cattle a year. President Obama was working to make sure I could sue the big packers if they dared pay Jim one cent more for his steady stream of cattle to the beef plant than they paid me. I was really mad when my Congressman voted not to enforce that part of the new law. The President knows you can't let the marketplace decide those types of things.

I finally feel like I have a decent chance. The President has leveled the playing field and now I can look forward to a future that protects people like me.

The Labor Department notes that the fatality rate for child farm workers is four times higher than that of non-agricultural child workers.

How many childs lifes are worth 100,000 acres of land ?

not even ONE

The Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting Act, first enacted in 1999, requires USDA to establish a program of information regarding the marketing of cattle, swine, lambs, and the products of this livestock. The Act requires that the information, including price and volume information, be provided in a format that can be readily understood by producers; improves the price and supply reporting services of the Department of Agriculture; and encourages competition in the marketplace for livestock and livestock products.

did not know OBAMA was preident in 1999

No doubt I don't want any kids hurt either but if every farmer or rancher's kids quit the place there is going to be no agriculture left. They don't learn how to work at age 25. They have be involved somehow. Good luck to Obama enforcing that law too. I don't see too many young adults that can afford to buy a place of their own, let alone want to. You might have start enjoying forgein meats and veggies more if the all the kids are working in town.

myersfarm said:
The Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting Act, first enacted in 1999, requires USDA to establish a program of information regarding the marketing of cattle, swine, lambs, and the products of this livestock. The Act requires that the information, including price and volume information, be provided in a format that can be readily understood by producers; improves the price and supply reporting services of the Department of Agriculture; and encourages competition in the marketplace for livestock and livestock products.

Myersfarm, did you not know that you were powting this on Rnet??? :) Seriously, good post!

myersfarm said:
The Labor Department notes that the fatality rate for child farm workers is four times higher than that of non-agricultural child workers.

not even ONE

Statistics are easily manipulated, especially when you have an agenda.

What is the fatality rate for kids out screwing around instead of working on the farm?

Got to thinking the other day after listening to Don Williams, good ol boy like me- 3 out of 4 kids I hung out with when I was real young ended up either in jail or burning their brains up on meth or other crap. Glad I had something productive to do and learned a good work ethic. Kept me out of a lot of trouble. The 4th kid, he was killed by a drunk driver in a car wreck when he was 7. Sure wish someone would have done a study on drunk driving, might have saved his life.

Where else can you go to work with your dad and grandpa? I wouldn't trade that for the world now that I am older.

TSR said:
myersfarm said:

Myersfarm, did you not know that you were powting this on Rnet??? :) Seriously, good post!
I don't know why you would think it's a "seriously good post!" The editorial posted doesn't even mention Mandatory Price Reporting anywhere. It alludes to last year's proposed rule changes to the Packers and Stockyards Act that would stop packers from paying premiums for some cattle. That has nothing to do with MPR.

But, maybe you think it was a "seriously good post" because it just makes you feel better to have another apparent Obama supporter around?

Oh Faster I hope you are right that this is a spoof. I read it earlier and have been thinking about it all day. I never read the political bull session but did today. I have been trying to think of a polite way to disagree with everything red robin said and haven't come up with anything, at least anything polite that is. :roll:

myersfarm said:

not even ONE

yes even one child is to many..

I had already debunked that.. suicide and drowning makes up a part of the total, the numbers are incredibly misleading.

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55496&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=12

Howdy1 said:
Oh Faster I hope you are right that this is a spoof. I read it earlier and have been thinking about it all day. I never read the political bull session but did today. I have been trying to think of a polite way to disagree with everything red robin said and haven't come up with anything, at least anything polite that is. :roll:

welcome to political bull..

OF POLITICS AND BEEF

The mailbox was full of emails of readers replying to last week's commentary. Most of the emails were expressing outrage at the support for the fictional brother who was a laggard and was thankful to be able to live off the government largesse. His homage to Obama was taken by some to be support for Obama and his programs or criticism of Jim, his hard working brother, who was getting crushed by government regulation. Some of the email criticized this publication for straying from commentary on markets and cattle into the world of politics.

It is the belief of this publication that there can be no successful beef industry without political advocacy. Cattle ranchers and farmers and feeders should never forget who we are. Every single one of us owe our heritage to someone who preceded us with a notion of hard work and just reward. We are descendants of dreamers and believers, of men and women who took risks and made sacrifices because they want their children to have it better. This is the tradition that made this country great.

Alexander Tytler, a 19th Century philosopher, took a particularly grim view of popularly supported political power.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist

until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public

treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates

promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a

democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a

dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200

years."

"Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great

courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to

selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from

apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

Any view of the current state of the European welfare state might be a preview of what might occur in the United States. The loss of our individualism and strong capitalistic system would surely signal the beginning of our decline as a nation. We are not entitled to remain great as a country or entitled to a free ride by the government as individuals. We determine our future and our fate with the election of our government representatives.

Last week's commentary was designed to poke fun at the lazy brother who was happy to live off the government. The story was made up but the government programs were not.

Latest posts