• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Frozen Tongue

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Richard Doolittle

Reaction score
This is a first for me. I just pulled a calf. When I found the heifer this morning, the feet and nose were out and of course the tongue was sticking out. The calf is okay, but it doesn't have any tongue control yet. It just hangs out of his mouth about three inches. It wasn't solid, but darn sure stiff.

Anyone ever had this happen? Any words of advice? I'll tube him with some colostrum to get his system going and will probably have to tube feed him until he gets some tongue control and is able to suck.

I don't think I've ever seen a tongue frozen-once the swelling goes down he should be ok if it didn't freeze too hard. I'd get him something for the pain and to help with the swelling.

I had ne a few years back, as I recall it took him over a week before he could suck on his own, eventually the frozen part sluffed off.

he weaned just as big as the others--guess it made it woth it

Deal with the pain, he will be up and going in no time. I've never seen a frozen tongue although I don't doubt it but it might just be mighty swollen. How cold was it last night? :cry:

It was 0F when I found him. I am thinking and hoping that it is more swollen than frozen, although there is some definite frostbite. The head/nose is swollen to so there's signs of a difficult, extended labor that I should have caught sooner.

What do you guys use for pain?

Of course I am not a vet but I am sure if he were asked he would prescribe banamine. It used to be off label so ask your vet.

My vote is for Banamine.
Years ago when we had scours, a real good vet at Ronan Mt.
recommended Banamine be used along with anything we treated for
scours. Banamine makes them feel better. Now more vets
recommend it but at that time, Dr. Hoversland was the only
one.

Latest posts