• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Garlic to control flies?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,978
Reaction score
278
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We have mineral in our product line that contains cinnamon and garlic. We have been asked about garlic controlling flies,
as that seems to be the chatter out there. There has been no research to support this that I can find, so I can't say that it does. We have one customer that has used it for a few years now, likes what it does for weaning weight, but he hasn't noticed any difference in fly load, but he also says the flies last summer were really bad regardless of what was used.

So then I came across this article and would appreciate your thoughts. It is the only thing I can find that talks about
garlic controlling flies. That product smells so bad, I'm suprised anything would eat it. Maybe that's why the control
cattle stayed within the recommended consumption levels, because any of you that feed mineral know that cattle eat it in
peaks and valleys. The first rule of mineral is "Quality and Quantity of forage dictates mineral consumption". That's why
when you move cattle to a fresh pasture, they back off the mineral.
This mixture wasn't really in mineral, but in salt and hand mixed.

https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2017/06/30/garlic-is-worth-its-salt-for-fly-control/
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,038
Reaction score
256
Location
Big Muddy valley
I used the CinnaGar from Vigortone at least one year. I was trying it to see if the cattle would eat mineral better on some pastures where they wouldn't consume much if any. Not sure if it helped, one year wasn't much of a trial,
I am now using Smartlic mineral tubs with IGR about the only way to get IGR in Canada. Last year the cattle ate the tubs in those pasture where I always have consumption problems and I felt it did an adequate job of controlling flies.
 

RSL

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
0
Location
48 5W4
Our local college is doing a research project on garlic for fly control. Will try to post results once I see them.
 

RSL

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
0
Location
48 5W4
https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/2017/06/30/garlic-is-worth-its-salt-for-fly-control/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=a9ce83cdc5-Canadian+Cattlemen+daily+enews+Jul+04%2C+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-a9ce83cdc5-88378761

I know Obi is doing some follow trials with Lakeland College right now as well.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
FH the only testimonials I've seen regarding garlic came from those that were promoting it in their products. I've seen no research to back up any of their claims.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,978
Reaction score
278
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
TexasBred said:
FH the only testimonials I've seen regarding garlic came from those that were promoting it in their products. I've seen no research to back up any of their claims.


Yes. My quote from the original post:
"There has been no research to support this that I can find, so I can't say that it does."


I don't understand how others can say it controls flies just to promote their product.
We are not allowed to do that, unless we have research to back it up. Hopefully that will
come. I know ND is starting a trial in the future, but so far nothing has changed. No research that
backs up the claim.

Thanks TexasBred.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
Faster horses said:
TexasBred said:
FH the only testimonials I've seen regarding garlic came from those that were promoting it in their products. I've seen no research to back up any of their claims.


Yes. My quote from the original post:
"There has been no research to support this that I can find, so I can't say that it does."


I don't understand how others can say it controls flies just to promote their product.
We are not allowed to do that, unless we have research to back it up. Hopefully that will
come. I know ND is starting a trial in the future, but so far nothing has changed. No research that
backs up the claim.

Thanks TexasBred.
Does your company give a stated purpose for the inclusion of garlic and cinnamon in the mineral? Just curious.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,038
Reaction score
256
Location
Big Muddy valley
https://monicastevens.blogspot.com/2017/09/vigortone.html

2017-09-02 · Vigortone MC Cattle Breeder CTC-CG-IGR is a chelated mineral that we use during the breeding season. It also includes CinnaGar that is consists of garlic and cinnamon extracts. CinnaGar products have shown to improve rumen efficiency. Mineral feeders are also available to purchase! These feeders hold up to three bags ( 150 pounds ) of mineral.
Author: Monica Stevens
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,038
Reaction score
256
Location
Big Muddy valley
CinnaGar® is a unique blend of plant extracts designed to enhance rumen efficiency, decrease methane production and shift the rumen volatile fatty acid profile. CinnaGar® is manufactured in a patented process in which plant extracts are encapsulated within a fat matrix. Encapsulation prevents evaporation of the plant extracts during feed manufacturing.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,978
Reaction score
278
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
TexasBred said:
Faster horses said:
TexasBred said:
FH the only testimonials I've seen regarding garlic came from those that were promoting it in their products. I've seen no research to back up any of their claims.


Yes. My quote from the original post:
"There has been no research to support this that I can find, so I can't say that it does."


I don't understand how others can say it controls flies just to promote their product.
We are not allowed to do that, unless we have research to back it up. Hopefully that will
come. I know ND is starting a trial in the future, but so far nothing has changed. No research that
backs up the claim.

Thanks TexasBred.
Does your company give a stated purpose for the inclusion of garlic and cinnamon in the mineral? Just curious.

Garlic extract reduces activity and integrity of rumen methanogens, resulting in less methane production.
Feeding CinnaGar (I left out the info on cinnamon, because that wasn't your question) also results in the production
of more energy efficient propionate and less acetate. Together (cinnamon and garlic extracts) modify the rumen microbial population to improve fermentation efficiency and diet utilization. The overall nutritional situation of the cow should improve due to more efficient utilization of feedstuffs.

In studies done with Vigortone 3V5S with Cinnagar, the findings include 27# heavier calves than the controls and the
herd was in better condition. I have a customer that has used it for several years and continues to use it as he
sees these benefits. Cattle consumption is equal to mineral without cinnamon/garlic.

Hope this helps.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
Big Muddy rancher said:
https://monicastevens.blogspot.com/2017/09/vigortone.html

2017-09-02 · Vigortone MC Cattle Breeder CTC-CG-IGR is a chelated mineral that we use during the breeding season. It also includes CinnaGar that is consists of garlic and cinnamon extracts. CinnaGar products have shown to improve rumen efficiency. Mineral feeders are also available to purchase! These feeders hold up to three bags ( 150 pounds ) of mineral.
Author: Monica Stevens

Since this contains CTC I suppose a script from the vet is required to purchase
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,038
Reaction score
256
Location
Big Muddy valley
TexasBred said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
https://monicastevens.blogspot.com/2017/09/vigortone.html

2017-09-02 · Vigortone MC Cattle Breeder CTC-CG-IGR is a chelated mineral that we use during the breeding season. It also includes CinnaGar that is consists of garlic and cinnamon extracts. CinnaGar products have shown to improve rumen efficiency. Mineral feeders are also available to purchase! These feeders hold up to three bags ( 150 pounds ) of mineral.
Author: Monica Stevens

Since this contains CTC I suppose a script from the vet is required to purchase
I suppose that particular one does but not all of it contains CTC
I bought a bag of Cinnagar to mix in my mineral.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,978
Reaction score
278
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Big Muddy rancher said:
TexasBred said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
https://monicastevens.blogspot.com/2017/09/vigortone.html

2017-09-02 · Vigortone MC Cattle Breeder CTC-CG-IGR is a chelated mineral that we use during the breeding season. It also includes CinnaGar that is consists of garlic and cinnamon extracts. CinnaGar products have shown to improve rumen efficiency. Mineral feeders are also available to purchase! These feeders hold up to three bags ( 150 pounds ) of mineral.
Author: Monica Stevens

Since this contains CTC I suppose a script from the vet is required to purchase
I suppose that particular one does but not all of it contains CTC
I bought a bag of Cinnagar to mix in my mineral.

Oh yes, all products containing CTC need a VFD. Just some bureaucrats that didn't have enough to do, back in New York,
caused this. There is no science behind it either-just media hype. :mad:
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
TexasBred said:
Since this contains CTC I suppose a script from the vet is required to purchase
I suppose that particular one does but not all of it contains CTC
I bought a bag of Cinnagar to mix in my mineral.

Oh yes, all products containing CTC need a VFD. Just some bureaucrats that didn't have enough to do, back in New York,
caused this. There is no science behind it either-just media hype. :mad:

True. Most misuse of antibiotics is done via the needle and syringe and not in medicated feeds.
 

Latest posts

Top