• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gary Johnson- Libertarian Candidate

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Gary Johnson wins Libertarian Party presidential nomination

Posted by
CNN's Gregory Wallace

(CNN) – Former GOP presidential candidate Gary Johnson won and accepted the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party on Saturday, which his campaign said earns him a spot on November ballots in all 50 states.

Johnson, a former governor of New Mexico and business owner, won the nomination with more than 70% of the vote at the party convention in Las Vegas. He entered the Libertarian primary race after dropping his 2012 Republican bid in late December.

He is best known for his support for the legalization of marijuana and the end of the so-called war on drugs. He supports same-sex marriage, an immediate end to the war in Afghanistan, and proposes slashing the federal budget by 43% to eliminate deficit spending.

"I think there's a mathematical consequence to continue to print money to the tune of 43 cents to the dollar that we are spending," he told CNN by phone after winning the nod.

"It's a mutual sacrifice by all of us to prevent a catastrophe down the line," he continued, saying the United States is within a decade of the fiscal collapse which hit Greece.

On the campaign trail, Johnson presents himself as an alternative to both major party candidates, especially on civil liberties issues. He has touted the hundreds of bills he vetoed as the New Mexico governor from 1995 to 2003, his successful re-election and balanced budgets enacted under his administration.

Johnson said that were he president at the time, he would have favored military action against al Qaeda in Afghanistan, but would have withdrawn U.S. troops within two to six months.

"I would get out of Afghanistan tomorrow," Johnson said Saturday. "I want to bring our troops home."

He appeared at two GOP presidential debates in 2011 and may be best remembered for his answer to a question on the economy. Referring to Obama administration initiatives to fund public works projects, Johnson quipped that his "next door neighbor's two dogs have created more shovel-ready jobs than this current administration."

Since his decision to pursue the Libertarian nomination, he has visited many state-level Libertarian conventions and held online town hall meetings with supporters.

Prior to his election as governor, Johnson started a handyman business while in college which grew to more than 1,000 employees. He has hiked Mount Everest and is an avid athlete.

In accepting the nomination, Johnson thanked his supporters and focused his sights on a day after the November election.

"Kate, my fiancé," he said, "I'm in love, and it's going to be a White House wedding."

The non-aggression principle states that aggression is inherently illegitimate, whether perpetrated by a common street thug or a government. It is based in the inherent fact that individuals own themselves, and have the right of undeterred self-determination.

Those that call themselves libertarian reject every compromise of that very basic tenant at risk of their own morality. It is the core at which libertarians can distinguish between those that would perpetrate violence to achieve their goals, and those that reject threats or initiation of violence.

So, back to Gary Johnson and the nomination of Bob Barr before him, two men that have seemingly rejected that axiom on their way to the Libertarian Party nomination.

Gary Johnson thinks that the existence of Guantanamo Bay is swell, supports military tribunals (as opposed to due process), has very little understanding of a free-market economy (evidenced by his support of the fair tax), and complete ignorance of the Austrian theory of the business cycle in relation to monetary policy.

Bob Barr similarly rejected pure libertarianism when he supported higher protectionary tariffs, attempted to outlaw certain religious practices within the military, and stood against marijuana legalization.

Now, I cannot pretend to know the reasons for individual Libertarian Party members to nominate those that don't believe the same as they do; it could be that they feel Johnson/Barr were more "electable" or were "close enough", and thus deserving of their support.

Or, quite possibly, they simply do not believe that the non-aggression principle is worth defending.

It cannot be stated how much those that vehemently defend that principle are turned-off by the continual admonishing of that very basic belief system by the party claiming to defend their interests.

It is very disappointing to see the party shoot itself in the foot once again, and even more disappointing that there isn't a flood of individuals that hold the non-aggression axiom in high enough esteem who are willing to stand up for it at the national convention.

Now, all that said, libertarians are actually fortunate to have a stalwart and embattled libertarian still in the race for the Presidency. His name is Ron Paul and he is consistently amassing delegates on the way to a brokered convention within the GOP.

It is just unfortunate that the Libertarian Party seemingly cannot find someone willing to adamantly defend those same principles.

Johnson is (was) for opening the borders wide open and allowing full amnesty to all illegal immigrants, claiming they will in turn someday become taxpayers. Not realizing they will cost as much or more than they contribute.

As with many other Libertarians........he's a loon.

The Libertarian party started with a great beginning but have become so fractured that it is all one can do but put many of the party in the LOON category.

In March 2004 Gray defeated former Libertarian Party of California chair Gail Lightfoot in a statewide primary for the party's nomination.[9] Gray suspended his judicial activities while running for the Senate against incumbent Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer and Republican Bill Jones. Gray received 216,522 votes, 1.8% of the total vote, finishing behind Boxer, Jones, and Peace and Freedom Party candidate Marsha Feinland

while I normally would applaud anyone who went against Boxer..

even Biden was able to get high single digits in a national race.. :shock: :eek:

Gary Johnson might not be too bad of a guy, but I"ll bet he steals more votes away from Romney than he will Obama. Voters need to realize that Johnson doesn't have an ice cube's chance in Hades of winning, so it still comes down to the pure and simple fact, "Would Romney or Obama be the best choice?" Don't throw away a perfectly good vote without thinking things through real well.

Gary is the perfect candidate oldtimer can vote for obama and claim he voted for the libertarian party kinda like he always does
:roll: :roll: :roll: just another false statement from him as usual:::

Soapweed said:
Gary Johnson might not be too bad of a guy, but I"ll bet he steals more votes away from Romney than he will Obama. Voters need to realize that Johnson doesn't have an ice cube's chance in Hades of winning, so it still comes down to the pure and simple fact, "Would Romney or Obama be the best choice?" Don't throw away a perfectly good vote without thinking things through real well.

Chances are, OT would like nothing more to split the vote, so his "Messiah" wins re-election.

hypocritexposer said:
Soapweed said:

Chances are, OT would like nothing more to split the vote, so his "Messiah" wins re-election.

Both of you are 100% correct about this. Remember Perot handing Slick Willie the Presidency in '92?

Old Whiskey Breath wouldn't vote for this Gary Johnson character any more than he would vote for Romney.

Gary is the perfect candidate oldtimer can vote for obama and claim he voted for the libertarian party kinda like he always does

anyone who is for Obama, but votes for Johnson to make himself appear more "independent" is one less vote for Obama..

Go Johnson !!!! ...

loomixguy said:
Looks to me like Steve wants 4 more years of Obamanure? :???:

We can't afford for Johnson to be the new Perot.

then you had better re-read my quote...

anyone who is for Obama, but votes for Johnson to make himself appear more "independent" is one less vote for Obama..

Most conservatives realize that splitting the conservative vote only helps re-elect a liberal..

no I will hold my nose and vote for the GOP nominee., but that doesn't stop me from encouraging Nader..

Latest posts