• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Get Ready For $5 Gallon Gas!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Gasoline prices are headed for $5 a gallon in many locations in the United States this year, says John Hofmeister, founder of Citizens for Affordable Energy and the former CEO of Shell Oil's U.S. operations.

Global demand will rise and pressure supply, while U.S. politicians aren't doing anything to ease prices at home such as allowing for significantly more drilling.

Mike said:
Gasoline prices are headed for $5 a gallon in many locations in the United States this year, says John Hofmeister, founder of Citizens for Affordable Energy and the former CEO of Shell Oil's U.S. operations.

Global demand will rise and pressure supply, while U.S. politicians aren't doing anything to ease prices at home such as allowing for significantly more drilling.

obama just loves it when a plan comes together.

We've been there in Canada, lots of times. We're more than $4.50 now, with converting litres to U.S. gallons. As a result, gas mileage is probably one of the biggest things considered when shopping for a vehicle. I wouldn't touch a car that got less than 35 to 40 mpg, and we never use the truck for something you can do with the car. My old Geo got over 50 mpg, and boy, do I miss that car! I'm making do with 40mpg now, and that's not good enough IMHO.

Expensive gas is survivable. For one thing, it makes everyone more aware of how important it is to stretch the supply of available gas. I bet that if everyone started driving vehicles that went an extra 40% farther on a gallon of gas, it would affect supply, and drop the price. Isn't that ironic?

But, But, But, didn't oldtimers Idol promise us relief ???

Dang must be BUSH'S fault, sure will eat into the profit oldtimer is making on his cows, you know the economy being so great in his area and all, especially all that money he is getting from the oil and gas leases he holds :roll: :roll:

Expensive gas is survivable. For one thing, it makes everyone more aware of how important it is to stretch the supply of available gas. I bet that if everyone started driving vehicles that went an extra 40% farther on a gallon of gas, it would affect supply, and drop the price. Isn't that ironic?

It is survivable to a point. Then the economics dictate that rising prices of services and goods cost more which makes the never ending circle of your income becoming less valuable, thus your goods must sell for more. Repeat the circle.

Gas mileage opportunities in vehicles are not infinite. Improvements in efficiency can only go so far.

A gallon of regular unleaded gasoline contains about 36.6 kWh (kilowatt-hours), which is about 49.1 horsepower hours.

Kato said:
We've been there in Canada, lots of times. We're more than $4.50 now, with converting litres to U.S. gallons. As a result, gas mileage is probably one of the biggest things considered when shopping for a vehicle. I wouldn't touch a car that got less than 35 to 40 mpg, and we never use the truck for something you can do with the car. My old Geo got over 50 mpg, and boy, do I miss that car! I'm making do with 40mpg now, and that's not good enough IMHO.

Isn't Canada one of the major exporters of petroleum to the US?? If Canada has enough to export, why are the prices there so high?

I bet that if everyone started driving vehicles that went an extra 40% farther on a gallon of gas, it would affect supply, and drop the price. Isn't that ironic?

in the seventies and up until the late 90's that may have been true..

China is building 42,000 miles of new interprovincial express highways by 2020 to accommodate the all the new car sales in that country. By comparison, the U.S. has about 86,000 miles of interstate highways. India has plans to construct another 12,000 miles of expressways by 2022. Cars driving on those highways are going to consume more gasoline, creating more demand for fuel.

but now our world just got a bit bigger,,,....

Have you bought any tires lately? Obama's 35% tariff sure drove up the price of tires drastically.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/19/tires-tariff-china-trade-opinions-columnists-john-tamny.html

I'm not going to guess on gas prices this summer, but I will say that "they" said the same thing last year and it didn't happen.

TSR said:
Kato said:

Isn't Canada one of the major exporters of petroleum to the US?? If Canada has enough to export, why are the prices there so high?

Taxes to support our social programs. Socialized medicine isn't free.

TSR said:
Kato said:

It's called taxes. it is suppose to go towards building highways but guess what. we have some of the worse highways you have probably ever seen as the taxes are being sucked out of the Highway budget to pay for things like FREE healthcare. :wink:

I think if we could drill as we should, that would send a different message
to those foreigners (not Canada) that we are subject to buying oil from,
and they would DROP the price, not raise it. Golly, someone is sure dumb
that is running this country.

Faster horses said:

The problem is that oil is the very definition of a global commodity and local prices will always be affected by the global situation.

Big Muddy rancher said:
TSR said:
Kato said:

Taxes to support our social programs. Socialized medicine isn't free.

Just curious BMR could you give us Canada's tax brackets on income? And where you live if you spend a dollar (US) how much tax do you pay? Where I live its ~.10 on the dollar.

Sandhusker said:
Faster horses said:

The problem is that oil is the very definition of a global commodity and local prices will always be affected by the global situation.

I have yet to hear how much the pipeline would reduce gas prices in America. Perhaps I missed it. I just saw on the news it was projected to lower our foreign dependence by 8% and many debate this number. But how about a dollar amount from the proponents.

Federal tax rates for 2012

15% on the first $42,707 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $42,707 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $42,707 up to $85,414), +
26% on the next $46,992 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $85,414 up to $132,406), +
29% of taxable income over $132,406.

Saskatchewan 11% on the first $42,065 of taxable income, +
13% on the next $78,120, +
15% on the amount over $120,185

Plus we have 5% provincial sales tax and 5% federal sale tax.

At the municipal level we pay property taxes as well as a school tax on all land not just your house.

Is that what you were wondering.

Link http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

TSR said:
Sandhusker said:
Faster horses said:

I have yet to hear how much the pipeline would reduce gas prices in America. Perhaps I missed it. I just saw on the news it was projected to lower our foreign dependence by 8% and many debate this number. But how about a dollar amount from the proponents.

How much do the wars to secure oil in foreign countries cost? OT quotes a $$ figure that is quite high for Iraq, where he and most Dems. claim the US went for oil, so you might even use that amount for the cost of the oil you get from Iraq.......

In June 2011, the US got 4.7 % of its foreign oil from Iraq

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Big Muddy rancher said:

22% on the next $42,707 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $42,707 up to $85,414), +
26% on the next $46,992 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $85,414 up to $132,406), +

At the municipal level we pay property taxes as well as a school tax on all land not just your house.

Yep. Thanks.

Big Muddy rancher said:

This does not include the taxes that is hid in the price of things that you don't see. So it depends on what you are buying to how much you are paying in taxes per dollar spent.

Saskatchewan also hopes to raise $35.7 million by immediately hiking the tobacco tax by 2.7 cents a cigarette to 21 cents each. That will increase the cost of a package of 25 smokes by 67.5 cents. The province is also cutting to one from three the number of tax-free cartons First Nations people can buy on reserve.

The liquor markup, which kicks in April 1, is expected to bring in about $18 million and will increase the price for a dozen beer by 75 cents.

Fuel taxes is in Saskatchewan 30.433¢ per liter

Sandhusker said:
Faster horses said:

speculation is part of the cost of oil..

when Bush announced expanding offshore drilling.. the prices dropped..

prices locally were falling,.. on news of the XL pipeline being cancelled, they have since risen.. coincidence or speculation?

so yes.. just the announcement of expanded drilling would reduce crude prices and overall costs..

announcing a comprehensive plan to actually support domestic oil production would cause a drop in oil prices. , but it ain't going to happen with obama in office..

Latest posts