• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Give an inch they take a mile

Help Support Ranchers.net:

For about 5 yrs we kept an old Hereford bull....who would just get out in the fields next to the road....or when any stranger showed up in his pasture ....he'd paw the ground, beller and get down on his front and pitch a doozie of a fit!!

It was a GREAT show and we kept all the hunters in the area scared to death of him. We had to get him up behind the barns to feed and pet him...you could ride him and all....he was a HUGE puppy- love kinda guy...but loved to put on a show. And it worked!!!

I have had some experiences where hunters were told they couldn't hunt because of the cattle and they went around and came in the back way. I put up sign anymore but it is odd people will still ask if they can hunt where there are no hunting signs. The reason I put up signs is so that my son can hunt and when I tell them that it doesn't phase them, they still ask. My son having first pick is only right since he helps so much when he is not in college, but do you think they care. Don't get me wrong I have a few frineds that always ask and I generally find a place for them.
Once a guy and his son stopped and asked, they got to hunt. That boy had never hunted before and when he left he was one happy feller. Made my day.
My son has even had people ask him if he wanted to hunt on them. They would stop and give him a permission slip. He didn't even have to ask, made me feel proud that he has earned a good reputation.

We did have hunters that came from all over the US. They had been in the service together and would meet at the refuge there south of Valentine. And they did respect the laws and the owners, they are a great bunch of guys. WE had some friends from Omaha that even knew how to respect the land and us, they even came out and helped work cattle for a couple of years, even thougn they were pretty green at it, they still tried, and 1 young man had gone home after deer hunting season was over and asked his girlfriend to marry him. I t was a swell wedding, my hubby and I got treated just like royality. :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

Latest posts