• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Global Warming and Climate Shifts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Well, at least we got that pesky ice age stopped that we were heading for in the 70's. :roll:

Statists of Fear

http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=4306

Speaking in Davos, Switzerland over the weekend, noted climatologist Bill Clinton declared that the world's greatest crisis is… temperature change. The press reported Clinton saying to the overfed corporate toadies before him at the World Economic Forum that "climate change" is a profound "worry" to him.

"It's the only thing that I believe has the power to fundamentally end the march of civilization as we know it, and make a lot of the other efforts that we're making irrelevant and impossible," he said.

What will arrest the march of civilization, or at least upend economies, is not global warming but panic over the delusions about it – panic which could lead to catastrophically stupid regulations that will wreck businesses. There is a big push on – I noticed in Sunday's Washington Post that its predictable story sketching out doomsday global warming scenarios appeared above the fold – to revive this panic.

Tom Bethell's book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science, recently released in paperback, effectively exposes this propaganda that masquerades as science. Scientists can't state with any certainty that global warming is a crisis, but they state it anyway, to stir the pot and drive politically correct policies. They are in the business of "peddling fear," writes Bethell, who quotes Stanford climatologist Stephen Schneider as saying:

"We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have."

And there are doubts aplenty on the subject of global warming. Hans von Storch from Germany is one scientist who knows that the "science" around this claim is nothing more than propagandistic conjecture and hype. Bethell quotes him saying that climatologists tend to "make only comments that are politically correct" and that their wobbly research is at the service of fear-mongering:

"The pattern is always the same: the significance of individual events is processed to suit the media and cleverly dramatized; when prognoses for the future are cited, among all the possible scenarios it is regularly the one with the highest rates of increase in greenhouse gas emissions – and thus with the most drastic climatic consequences – that is chosen. Equally plausible variations with significantly lower emission increases go unmentioned.

Whom does this serve? It is assumed that fear can motivate listeners, but it is forgotten that it mobilizes them only in the short term…. Each successive recent claim about the future of the climate and of the planet must be ever more dramatic than the previous one. Once apocalyptic heat waves have been predicted, the climate-based extinction of animal species no longer attracts attention. Time to move on the reversal of the Gulf Stream. Thus there arises a spiral of exaggeration."

And scientists can't stop the spiral, because to do so would hurt such a worthy enivornmentalist cause, says von Storch:

"The incremental dramatization comes to be accepted, while any correction of the exaggeration is regarded as dangerous, because it is politically inopportune. Doubts are not made public; rather, people are led to believe in a solid edifice of knowledge that needs only to be completed at the outer edges."

Pols, who care even less about evidentiary standards than scientists eager to appear on the evening news, will occasionally say that making false claims about global warming is no big deal since it brings about a more "just" world. In another revealing quote culled by Tom Bethell, Christine Stewart, former Canadian Minister of the Environment, once blurted out:

"No matter if the science is phony, there are collateral environmental benefits…Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."

This is what Bill Clinton is up to as well: he doesn't know the first thing about science, yet he must act as if he knows for certain that global warming menaces the earth in order to promote global statism. He will whip up hysteria in the hopes that that will lead to severe economic constraints upon business and expanded government power over economies.

The environment is not a threat to the march of civilization. But environmentalists are. And the hottest and most polluted air comes from the mouths of lying pols who spread their propaganda at global forums. Should they scare and snooker the world into accepting Kyoto-style strangulations of economies, what will grind to a halt is the human life for which the environment exists.

George Neumayr is a writer living in the Washington, D.C. area.

the U.S. government spends $2 billion a year on researching this and other climate change questions.

"spends" Present tense. Republian controlled for the past 8-10 years.

Cal, do you wonder why they do that, in spite of what your blatantly biased article says?

theHiredMansWife said:
the U.S. government spends $2 billion a year on researching this and other climate change questions.

"spends" Present tense. Republian controlled for the past 8-10 years.

Cal, do you wonder why they do that, in spite of what your blatantly biased article says?
Don't be silly. You do realize that that money is actually used to monitor your phone conversations and to provide sattelite images of your bedroom activities.

satellite images of my bedroom activities is one terrible waste of a satellite......

But remember the gov't can spy on you....no matter how they do it.....just to be sure you're not on that " axis of evil"!!!

Big Brother IS watching you!!!

it was 64 here......but not a record that was set in 1967 at 74.....while we have mild winters the "normal" Febuary would be in the thirties...

seems as soon as it gets to be a mild winter the global warming argument comes up......yet in bad winters it's just below normal.....

and I would rather have the money spenty to watch terrorists then watching the weather trends....

He actually called today,,,,,wanted to know how I was doing.....I thought it was nice,,,sure beat those letters and surveys he ussually sends telling me how much he is doing for me.....

Steve said:

He actually called today,,,,,wanted to know how I was doing.....I thought it was nice,,,sure beat those letters and surveys he ussually sends telling me how much he is doing for me.....
Steve, glad you're back. I have a question for you, or R2, or whoever knows. A few days ago I received a survey from "American Community Survey" with the web site for it listed as www.census.gov/acs/www/. Questions in the survey include: list of residents, gender of all, birthdates, relationships to each, martital status of each, 25 questions about our house, vehicles, finances, etc... , and 42 questions per person that you list including: US citizenship, ethnicity, "conditions", reproductive history, military service, work, transportation, income...

It also states: "your response to this survey is required by law (Title 13, United States Code, Sections 141 and 193). Title 13, as changed by Title 18, imposes a penalty for not responding. The survey is approved by the Office of Management and Budget. We estimate this survey will take about 38 minutes to complete."

This survey only lists our mailing address and no names. It pisses me off to be asked these types of questions, and I wonder what will happen if I just toss it in the trash?

they say to check to see if it is a scam call......

1-800-852-6159

Seems to me that when the last survey was taken the media let residences know it was happening and who to call to verify it was not a scam....

"will receive a letter in the mail from the U.S. Census Bureau Director notifying the resident that a survey is on its way. If your household is chosen, it will represent many others in your community. In fact, about one in every 13 households will receive the short survey. It is very important that residents take the time to answer and return the completed confidential survey."

Latest posts