• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good 'Ol Boy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Reaction score
Source Agriweek:

BAD OL` BOY
Cebull`s cold feet have R-CALF hot
around the collar

As far as the Canadian cattle industry is concerned, Judge Richard F. Cebull of the of the local federal court in Billings, Montana is the hangin' judge. Single-handedly, by granting an immediate injunction requested by the Montana-based fanatic cow-calf group R-CALF, Cebull blocked Canadian cattle exports to the U.S. for an extra five months over phony mad-cow issues. Cebull issued the original temporary injunction after only 35 minutes of testimony and it remained until a senior appeal court in San Francisco emphatically reversed it last July.

The R-CALF outfit also applied for a permanent injunction to Cebull's court to block all Canadian cattle and beef imports. Cebull had set a date in July 2005 for a hearing but put it in limbo after the appeal court decision. On April 5 he finally announced that he will not hear the case at all.

Last week the reason became apparent. The appeal court specifically directed Cebull not to consider any new cases based on the same arguments which he accepted in granting the temporary order, which questioned the technical and scientific competency of USDA to make regulatory decisions.

It looked like the end of the affair, but it's not. R-CALF is holding a mail-in poll of its members to see if they favor further legal action, especially against anticipated USDA regulations which would allow imports of Canadian cattle and beef of all ages. Since most of its members were probably attracted to the organization because of its policy on imports, chances are the poll will urge R-CALF leadership into further legal adventures. This could delay the opening of the border to cull cattle and beef from animals of all ages. But USDA seems in no hurry to issue the necessary proposal. The longer the delay the less important it will become to have access to the hamburger beef business in the U.S. because Canadian kill capacity is almost at what is necessary to absorb all Canadian cattle cull.

R-CALF publicity is as crooked and misleading as ever. :lol: Last week it issued an 'op-ed' piece picked up by many smaller western newspapers in which it claimed to have "limited U.S. exposure to BSE". Its next crusade is for country-of-origin labelling in the hope that American consumers will overwhelmingly prefer U.S. beef if they have a clear choice at the meat counter. In fact a population of consumers that prefers many foreign goods could be indifferent, relying on USDA quality control to assure food safety. And while it rails against Canadian beef and cattle imports, nowhere does R-CALF acknowledge that Canada is the biggest export market for American beef. Had the Canadian government followed R-CALF principles and embargoed American beef when the border was closed to the Canadian product, the economic damage to the Canadian cattle industry might have been significantly less. In the U.S. it could have been more.

....the Montana-based fanatic cow-calf group R-CALF, .....over phony mad-cow issues...... court in San Francisco emphatically reversed it last July....The R-CALF ..... Since most of its members were probably .....R-CALF publicity is as crooked and misleading as ever....

Looks like a professionaly written and non-biased article to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: Geeeeeze, Bill, this looks like something you wrote. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Last week the reason became apparent. The appeal court specifically directed Cebull not to consider any new cases based on the same arguments which he accepted in granting the temporary order, which questioned the technical and scientific competency of USDA to make regulatory decisions."

Can't question the government? Sounds like China is exporting their totalitarianism to us.

Our trade agreements must be better thought out.

Sandhusker said:
....the Montana-based fanatic cow-calf group R-CALF, .....over phony mad-cow issues...... court in San Francisco emphatically reversed it last July....The R-CALF ..... Since most of its members were probably .....R-CALF publicity is as crooked and misleading as ever....

Looks like a professionaly written and non-biased article to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: Geeeeeze, Bill, this looks like something you wrote. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which part of what you clipped is incorrect?

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Everything I highlighted

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Everything I highlighted
And that's your opinion.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:
Bill said:

Everything I highlighted
And that's your opinion.

Bill, you are not going to resort to calling people liars, scum of the earth, blamers, etc.....? :lol: :lol:

The U.S. has a problem with bse, not because of rcalf, but because of the USDA not doing its job. It is still trying to sweep things under the rug.

Why do you get on to them for that?

Econ101 said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:
Everything I highlighted
And that's your opinion.

Bill, you are not going to resort to calling people liars, scum of the earth, blamers, etc.....? :lol: :lol:

The U.S. has a problem with bse, not because of rcalf, but because of the USDA not doing its job. It is still trying to sweep things under the rug.

Why would I resort to that? Thinking people can make up their own mind what the truth is.

I rag on R-Calf because they have been using BSE as a crutch since May 2003 to try keep Canadian product from moving south even if they have to risk American consumer confidence in Beef. If no Canadian beef was moving into the US they wouldn't be saying sweet tweet about USDA and their handling of the US cases.

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
Bill said:
And that's your opinion.

Why would I resort to that? Thinking people can make up their own mind what the truth is.

I rag on R-Calf because they have been using BSE as a crutch since May 2003 to try keep Canadian product from moving south even if they have to risk American consumer confidence in Beef. If no Canadian beef was moving into the US they wouldn't be saying sweet tweet about USDA and their handling of the US cases.

That is your opinion, Bill. The USDA is making a LOT of missteps and there are some of us calling them on all of them.

It is not all about getting Canadians but to hear you talk, it is all about getting rcalf.

Rcalf never closed the border, the USDA did.

Canadian taxpayers paid for the american takeove of one of your major packers and I haven't heard you speak out about it. Maybe you are content to bash foriegn cattle club trying to do something about the concentration in this industry but why don't you get off your high horse and say something about that?

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
Bill said:
And that's your opinion.

Bill, Canada has closed their borders to BSE positive countries as well. Are they using that same "crutch", or does this only apply in the case of R-CALF?

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
Econ101 said:

Bill, Canada has closed their borders to BSE positive countries as well. Are they using that same "crutch", or does this only apply in the case of R-CALF?
Are Canadian producers filing injunctions to further close Canadian borders or buying ads in an attempt to smear American beef because of questionable investigations and a lousy traceback system?

No.

Your question doesn't even make sense although thank you for once again helping show how R-Calf is in a protectionist league of their own. :roll:

My post, "Bill, Canada has closed their borders to BSE positive countries as well. Are they using that same "crutch", or does this only apply in the case of R-CALF? "

Bill's reply, "Are Canadian producers filing injunctions to further close Canadian borders or buying ads in an attempt to smear American beef because of questionable investigations and a lousy traceback system? No. Your question doesn't even make sense although thank you for once again helping show how R-Calf is in a protectionist league of their own."

R-CALF filed because the USDA told Congress that closing borders was crucial to defending against BSE, only to see them change policy and risk our industry so the packers could make a buck. If Canada had done the same, I would hope you cared enough about your livelihood that you would do the same. However, since you have just rolled over with nary a whimper as the Canadian packing industry was sold to foreigners, your government gave US corporations millions of your taxpayer dollars, the same US corporations told your Parliament to F.O., nothing is done up there without the USDA'S approval, etc.... you must not care enough to be a "protectionist".

I thank you for allowing me to show what an anti-R-CALFer is made of.

Sandhusker said:
My post, "Bill, Canada has closed their borders to BSE positive countries as well. Are they using that same "crutch", or does this only apply in the case of R-CALF? "

Bill's reply, "Are Canadian producers filing injunctions to further close Canadian borders or buying ads in an attempt to smear American beef because of questionable investigations and a lousy traceback system? No. Your question doesn't even make sense although thank you for once again helping show how R-Calf is in a protectionist league of their own."

R-CALF filed because the USDA told Congress that closing borders was crucial to defending against BSE, only to see them change policy and risk our industry so the packers could make a buck. If Canada had done the same, I would hope you cared enough about your livelihood that you would do the same. However, since you have just rolled over with nary a whimper as the Canadian packing industry was sold to foreigners, your government gave US corporations millions of your taxpayer dollars, the same US corporations told your Parliament to F.O., nothing is done up there without the USDA'S approval, etc.... you must not care enough to be a "protectionist".

Well the only reason we had BSE before you guys is that you guys were not really testing for it.

Econ101 said:
Bill said:
Econ101 said:

That is your opinion, Bill. The USDA is making a LOT of missteps and there are some of us calling them on all of them.

It is not all about getting Canadians but to hear you talk, it is all about getting rcalf.

Canadian taxpayers paid for the american takeove of one of your major packers and I haven't heard you speak out about it. Maybe you are content to bash foriegn cattle club trying to do something about the concentration in this industry but why don't you get off your high horse and say something about that?
I am sorry, I didn't know R-Calf supported re-opening the border. I thought they filed the injunction with C-Bull to keep it closed. All the reports I read must have been wrong. :roll:

RoperAB said:
Sandhusker said:

Well the only reason we had BSE before you guys is that you guys were not really testing for it.

Maybe, maybe not. You sure won't ever hear me bragging on the USDA's record for testing.

Still, they sold out US consumers and US producers for the packer's profits. I don't care what product in what industry that happens in, it is outragous and totally unacceptable.

Sandhusker said:

R-CALF filed because the USDA told Congress that closing borders was crucial to defending against BSE,
Good one!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill, "I am sorry, I didn't know R-Calf supported re-opening the border. I thought they filed the injunction with C-Bull to keep it closed. All the reports I read must have been wrong."

Where did anybody ever say R-CALF suppored opening the border? What you highlighted certainly doesn't allude to that.

Are you ever going to answer me on your loophole/compliance problem? Here's your opportunity to prove your hated rival wrong.

Bill said:
Econ101 said:
Bill said:

I am sorry, I didn't know R-Calf supported re-opening the border. I thought they filed the injunction with C-Bull to keep it closed. All the reports I read must have been wrong. :roll:

Bill You are right- you are wrong.....It was refiled after the USDA dropped their BSE standards and opened the US import market to Japanese beef coming from cattle of all ages- after 20-30 (?) positive cattle and a feedban that was nonexistent until a couple years ago....

Sandhusker said:
RoperAB said:
Sandhusker said:

Maybe, maybe not. You sure won't ever hear me bragging on the USDA's record for testing.

Still, they sold out US consumers and US producers for the packer's profits. I don't care what product in what industry that happens in, it is outragous and totally unacceptable.

What it felt like up here was that southern producers were useing it as an excuse to bury us. I know its more to it than that. But it seemed like we were suddenly as popular as Saddam Hussien.

Latest posts