• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Old Babysitter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Guest
The other day when we were out working some colts I put the grandkids on my old saddle horse to keep them out of the way-- he has become my babysitter when I don't want them underfoot...Anyway the wife took some pictures and today when I was looking at them- I thought of what a babysitter this old horse has become...

100_1133.jpg

Granddaughter Leinie (6)on Zip with the wind blowing thru her hair-pure speed :lol:

100_1129.jpg

Grandson Gabe (4) on Zip-- When the kids are riding around the areana double and Gabe has the reins- Zip will stop- Leinie will yell to kick him up and Gabe will frustrate her by saying" No we need to let him rest a little"..

StacyandZip-atRodeo.jpg

The grandkids mother and old Zip about 12 years ago.....He never was the fastest- but when the older girls were tying goats he'd run as hard as he could- and always gave them an honest run-- so they usually both wanted to use him in the rodeos that would allow it- and then there would be a huge fight afterward if one won the buckle and the other came in second...Then I would put their 6 year old little sister on for the goat tail tying--He knew she was on so he'd trot or slow lope the length of the areana- get to the goat, stop, let her climb off and tie the ribbon on, and then stand there until the judge helped her back on- trot back to the gate...
JaneenandZipatRodeo.jpg

This is the grandkids auntie Janeen at a YRA rodeo--Never had the speed for a barrel horse-but always ran his heart out and was a good teacher for them...

CarlaandZip-Rodeo.jpg

This is the grandkids auntie Carla (when she was 6) - she was really mad this time because her hat fell in the biggest mudhole......

Old Zip is about 21 years old now-kids named him because as a colt he was the one always zipping around all the others-- sired by Blanco Ho by Mano Blanco-which was a little King Ranch stallion with lots of bloodlines going back to Otoe-Old Sorrel-Peppy out of an old ranch mare that was 1/2 American Saddler 1/4 Percheron, 1/4 thoroughbred.....He and I kind of fit each other- both are getting slower, stiffer in the shoulders, little more stumbly foot, too paunchy, and semi retired....I've pretty much given him to the grandkids- but when I know I'm going to be off riding alone, or its icy, or I just have to get the job done now-- I'll still take him--honest as the day is long- will drag anything....The little black two year old I'm keeping now as a future replacement for him is out of his full sister-- and Gabe has already been getting her ready--riding her around the round corral while I was leading her......
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,830
Reaction score
71
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Good pictures, OT.

Nice tribute to a wonderful old horse.

Get him on some Legend or Adequan and he'd have a new lease on life!

I don't know about you though~what you should take.
Probably those toddies you always talk about! :wink:
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
Really enjoyed those pictures of the grandkiddies on the horse and all your stories the past few days. :D
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Ole "Zip" sounds like the kinda horse I like to ride,good looking family OT,I think you are gonna have to take some of that sale barn money you been getting for your calves and get Gabe a deer rifle,he looks about ready to go to me :wink: ...................good luck Old Timer
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
bridge city texas
go here

http://vampirefreaks.com/picview.php?pic_id=3778543&user=nightshadesfang&uid=337340&title=my+pony+pumpkin&c=7&x=8&d=2929488


this is my pride and joy, shes my very own lil' "zip" lol and sadly ive owtgrown her, she did everything for me as a lil kid and i owe her so much..lol went through creeks, pulled carts int he 4th of july parades,went on a 10 mile endurance ride and won me 1st place in my division, won me ribbons in show, we went to state fair, lol its crazy to know shes 17 now , cause back when we were 8 and 9 (shes was 8 when i bought her, totally unbroke)seemed like a day ago, lol. but god ill tell you! she never loses that speed, that pony could run all day if i wanted her to.
shed make a good 9 yr olds first pony...like she did with me
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
HAY MAKER said:
Ole "Zip" sounds like the kinda horse I like to ride,good looking family OT,I think you are gonna have to take some of that sale barn money you been getting for your calves and get Gabe a deer rifle,he looks about ready to go to me :wink: ...................good luck Old Timer

Haymaker- I was up on the border last couple days combining - anyway had some free time and got reading a Texas Outdoors magazine my sister sent me....Saw where the feral hog season is open year around- now thats something I could come to Texas to enjoy- I don't know if I'd ever get any work done...Got an old 250 Savage with a Bushnell 3 X 9 Variable that would work great for Gabe- I let him shoot my 357 Magnum (pistol ammo) Marlin rifle at a gopher the other day- He was definitely within 50 yards of hitting it :lol: Just will take a little practice :wink:

He did help pull in a 15 lb. catfish the other day :D
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:
Ole "Zip" sounds like the kinda horse I like to ride,good looking family OT,I think you are gonna have to take some of that sale barn money you been getting for your calves and get Gabe a deer rifle,he looks about ready to go to me :wink: ...................good luck Old Timer

Haymaker- I was up on the border last couple days combining - anyway had some free time and got reading a Texas Outdoors magazine my sister sent me....Saw where the feral hog season is open year around- now thats something I could come to Texas to enjoy- I don't know if I'd ever get any work done...Got an old 250 Savage with a Bushnell 3 X 9 Variable that would work great for Gabe- I let him shoot my 357 Magnum (pistol ammo) Marlin rifle at a gopher the other day- He was definitely within 50 yards of hitting it :lol: Just will take a little practice :wink:

He did help pull in a 15 lb. catfish the other day :D

I bet pulling that cat fish, had lil ole Gabe grinning and walkin like a tom cat on thin mud,you get started south,call me, time permitting we will stir up a hog or two.................good luck
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Oregon
OT,


First the positive,


Great job on creating fantastic memories for the Grandkids. I have seen 30 year-old plus horses compete in JR. Rodeos... I think in a lot of ways it sems more of these older horses are capable at this level is a testament to the nutritional advances....

Now, I saw some round cornered panels in your horse pen....I have gotten rid of most of those for both cattle and horses even though I have never had an accident.......First wrecks vet bills will pay form a lot of good panels... Meant as an observaton from someone that cares rather than a critisizm,,,

PPRM
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Oregon
It creates a potential place for a leg to get caught.

If an animal jumps up and doesn't make it over, oftentimes they will turn and try to slide off. As the leg goes down the panel, it meets the v shape caused by the round corners coming together. The leg gets caught and then the animal panicks and either tears it up or breaks it....I have seen enuff nasty pictures to scare me away from them.

They also create the illusion of a low spot for an animal looking for a place to get out,

It happens enough to where I want to avoid it,

PPRM
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
PPRM said:
It creates a potential place for a leg to get caught.

If an animal jumps up and doesn't make it over, oftentimes they will turn and try to slide off. As the leg goes down the panel, it meets the v shape caused by the round corners coming together. The leg gets caught and then the animal panicks and either tears it up or breaks it....I have seen enuff nasty pictures to scare me away from them.

They also create the illusion of a low spot for an animal looking for a place to get out,

It happens enough to where I want to avoid it,

PPRM

Thanks PPRM--Never heard or thought of the rounded tops like that- good thing I culled out the EXT daughters and the salers-- except there was a time or two I wanted to shoot them bad enough I wouldn't have cared if they broke their leg.....
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Oregon
I have seen lots of guys fill the gap with the panels they have. Some put channel accross, others bend some rod at a 90 and weld it to te top of the panels,

PPRM
 

Latest posts

Top