• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Sunday Mornin'

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
Good Sunday Mornin' folks. As we run cattle through the chute, some will fight every moment while being worked; once in a while one will walk in stand docile like as she is worked, and then walk out as if nothing happened. It is lots easier on the docile animal than the wild one. As I was reading the Christmas story again this week, I was struck by the verse where Mary tells the angel "Behold the maidservant of the Lord. Let it be to me according to thy word." This teenage girl had just been told she would be pregnant out of wedlock even if she was a virgin. What an amazing example of trust and submissive obedience to the Lord. I know that sometimes I am like the wild cow, and things are a lot tougher for me than they have to be. I would like to be as willing and submissive a servant of the Lord as this young woman was. She is a great positive role model for us all. It is so much better for all involved, the Master as well as the servant, if we just trust and obey. Have a good Sunday mornin' and a great rest of the week, too.

I wrote this several years ago as an outline for a talk I was ask to give.

The touch of the Master

I must start at the first meeting I had with these cattle. I had not had cattle on the farm for about 20 years but now had time and wanted a small herd.

I purchased 15 registered Charolis cows that ranged from first calf heifers to 13-year-old moms. These cattle had been housed at a remote location and looked at humans as predators to be eliminated.

These were so wild that the man I got them from could only bring three the first load and that so unnerved the rest it was about 3 weeks before he was able to catch two more.

I like my cattle gentle so I purchased some sweet feed ( contains molasses) and would put some over the fence and get to safety before they could get to me. It took about a week before they would come to me instead of after me. However I still could not get them to come up onto the concrete floor that leads to the barn.

When the next two got here they followed the lead of the three that had been here a couple of weeks and soon I was able to get them on the concrete but still not in the barn. As more cattle got here I continued to gentle them and by the time all 15 were here I was able to even touch a couple - - - what a dramatic difference!

These cattle have been here about three years now and it is remarkable to me how each of them reacts to me.

When I go out to check on the herd they have all come to recognize me and all will come whenever I appear. Cow K10 is the friendliest of the group and always wants her ears scratched, K02 is the most standoffish, the bull always has to tell me he is the boss and will try to keep the cows from coming to me. He cannot keep them from me as they are to many and even K02 knows that if I show up something good is going to happen - - - I might have some sweet feed, open a gate to fresh pasture, put out fresh mineral or something else but it will be good.

Now as they have all accepted me as "The Master" it is very interesting as to how each reacts - - - K10 would be quite content with just a touch on the head, K02 will stand back and just wants to see what treat is available and the bull still tries to intimidate me!

This brings Christians to my mind - - - how will we each react to the coming of the master? Will we be like K10 just content to know the master is here or will we be like K08 content to be petted but wants the treat first or like K02 wanting nothing to do with the master but wanting the reward that comes with being in his presence?

When you look at mother and calf pairs the calves do not always mimic the mom. K10 is the friendliest but her calf K610 is very wary. K11 stays back about 10 feet but K611 follows me wanting to be petted. K02 never approaches me but K602 is almost as friendly as K611.

All have been handled with care and affection but have totally different attitudes with me.

Christ is there for all of us but we all have the free will to decide how to follow.

George said:
I wrote this several years ago as an outline for a talk I was ask to give.

The touch of the Master

I must start at the first meeting I had with these cattle. I had not had cattle on the farm for about 20 years but now had time and wanted a small herd.

I purchased 15 registered Charolis cows that ranged from first calf heifers to 13-year-old moms. These cattle had been housed at a remote location and looked at humans as predators to be eliminated.

These were so wild that the man I got them from could only bring three the first load and that so unnerved the rest it was about 3 weeks before he was able to catch two more.

I like my cattle gentle so I purchased some sweet feed ( contains molasses) and would put some over the fence and get to safety before they could get to me. It took about a week before they would come to me instead of after me. However I still could not get them to come up onto the concrete floor that leads to the barn.

When the next two got here they followed the lead of the three that had been here a couple of weeks and soon I was able to get them on the concrete but still not in the barn. As more cattle got here I continued to gentle them and by the time all 15 were here I was able to even touch a couple - - - what a dramatic difference!

These cattle have been here about three years now and it is remarkable to me how each of them reacts to me.

When I go out to check on the herd they have all come to recognize me and all will come whenever I appear. Cow K10 is the friendliest of the group and always wants her ears scratched, K02 is the most standoffish, the bull always has to tell me he is the boss and will try to keep the cows from coming to me. He cannot keep them from me as they are to many and even K02 knows that if I show up something good is going to happen - - - I might have some sweet feed, open a gate to fresh pasture, put out fresh mineral or something else but it will be good.

Now as they have all accepted me as "The Master" it is very interesting as to how each reacts - - - K10 would be quite content with just a touch on the head, K02 will stand back and just wants to see what treat is available and the bull still tries to intimidate me!

This brings Christians to my mind - - - how will we each react to the coming of the master? Will we be like K10 just content to know the master is here or will we be like K08 content to be petted but wants the treat first or like K02 wanting nothing to do with the master but wanting the reward that comes with being in his presence?

When you look at mother and calf pairs the calves do not always mimic the mom. K10 is the friendliest but her calf K610 is very wary. K11 stays back about 10 feet but K611 follows me wanting to be petted. K02 never approaches me but K602 is almost as friendly as K611.

All have been handled with care and affection but have totally different attitudes with me.

Christ is there for all of us but we all have the free will to decide how to follow.
That's a good lesson, George. I like it.

Latest posts