• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Got a little windy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was baling last night coming down the hill headed west and a storm was rolling in headed east. As I was making a bale the windrows on both sides of me were rolling up on their own with the winds help. Not sure how much hay moved but a couple or three windrows at least are piled up at the end of the field or in the slough at the end. How can I bales this or get it home?
LanesPlace059.jpg

These are the hfrs I have grazing up at the son's place.
LanesPlace003.jpg

LanesPlace002.jpg

LanesPlace001.jpg

man i don't know if your loader was on the front of your tractor you could pick it up and spread just a little at a time in front of you and bale behind you.

have a cold one

lazy ace

WE had over a hundred acres piles like that... What we did was take the tractor with the square bale forks and spread it out to bale.. Took a little hand stringing but wasnn't too bad... We raked around the pliles of hay..
Good luck it's sure a pain in the backside in more ways than one!!

Ranching would be boring if we didn't get those little challenges occasionally! :D Fire up the Farmhand and build a stack.

Heifers are doing well, does Lane's place have any rough country on it like yours does?

Good looking heifers even see the bull peeking his head out in the first photo. I left sone hay unraked on wendsday because of wind it was blowing hard and Ifigured it would'nt quit rolling once I raked it we baled it on thursday all was fine.

gcreekrch said:
Ranching would be boring if we didn't get those little challenges occasionally! :D Fire up the Farmhand and build a stack.

Heifers are doing well, does Lane's place have any rough country on it like yours does?

His place isn't as rough and only a little square of planted trees. He has one good spring and a well. About 600 acres of the 1,200 are tame forages.

I didn't even go look at another 80 acres that are cut. I wanted to sleep last night. :roll:

Had that happen to us last year, trying to beat a storm making my last round when the wind came up blew the windrow up and over the cab of the tractor. We just baled what was in the windrow and then went around with the rakes and got the rest.

we had that happen several years ago, the kids were much younger and unwiser, thought it was great fun to pitch fork the" igloo,s" back into a swath. today i don't have enough money to get them to do that again :lol2: :lol:

I have an old Heston walking floor stack mover. That and a push off farm hand and you have big loose stacks.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I saw the other 80 acres this morning. Not much to bale without raking it. Might have to fork it out of the fence line. :cry:

You could just leave it there.

Gives a whole new meaning to fenceline feeder. :wink:

We got rained out of the field at 4:00, not much moisture at Morrison Meadow but there are puddles here at home.
I guess it was getting dry. :roll:

Sorry you got rained out, gcreek. Now, us, we could use a good
two inch rain. It's very dry.

We lost some windrows to wind, didn't know what we were going to
do, and the neighbor brought over his new 6330 JD tractor and
hydraulic Vermeer V-rake. Sure was nice of him and it worked so
well it has created a monster. :shock:

:D

He said to keep it til we were done and we did. Mr. FH raked all the
windrows together. He loved that tractor and rake. He's gonna miss
it next year. :p

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I saw the other 80 acres this morning. Not much to bale without raking it. Might have to fork it out of the fence line. :cry:

We got rained out of the field at 4:00, not much moisture at Morrison Meadow but there are puddles here at home.

We have hay ready to bale, but both balers are incapacitated. Both have bearings out, so Peach made a 120 mile round trip to secure parts. Fortunately and thankfully, Cherry County Implement is open on Saturday afternoons. It is one of the very few places around that provides Saturday afternoon service. Hopefully we can play mechanic well enough in the morning to get things rolling again.

Soapweed said:
gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

We have hay ready to bale, but both balers are incapacitated. Both have bearings out, so Peach made a 120 mile round trip to secure parts. Fortunately and thankfully, Cherry County Implement is open on Saturday afternoons. It is one of the very few places around that provides Saturday afternoon service. Hopefully we can play mechanic well enough in the morning to get things rolling again.

If there is one thing that living where we are has taught us is to have parts that are prone to break on hand. The dealership for our JD baler is 6.5 hours one way should one want to make a parts run. Fortunately, there are two freight trucks running alternate days during the 5 day work week. I would guess we have close to $10,000 in parts on hand. Some I may never use but they are here if something goes. Downtime costs more than parts and my labour in most cases. :wink:

Hope you are up and running again tommorow Soap.

20 minutes to most parts 1hr to a whole new set of suppliers and airfreight and daily trucks for anything else. I still keep an inventory of parts in the shop. No time for down time. I hope you get up and running soon Soap and gcreek I am trading our sunshine for a little rain. (Ok that's what the forecast says) Get at it everyone on another site someone from High Level (most of the way to the Northwest Territories) said the geese are starting to fly south. Yikes!

gcreekrch said:
Soapweed said:
gcreekrch said:

If there is one thing that living where we are has taught us is to have parts that are prone to break on hand. The dealership for our JD baler is 6.5 hours one way should one want to make a parts run. Fortunately, there are two freight trucks running alternate days during the 5 day work week. I would guess we have close to $10,000 in parts on hand. Some I may never use but they are here if something goes. Downtime costs more than parts and my labour in most cases. :wink:

Hope you are up and running again tommorow Soap.

Thanks. We hope to get things back in shape once again. There are a lot of things that I have no aptitude for, and doing mechanic-type work is just about top on that list. :wink:

I can't say I enjoy pulling wrenches a lot but it is the only time I can make $70 an hour on this ranch. :D
Once I got it in my head that you put things back together exactly opposite to how things came apart the battle was half won.

One other thing to remember, when all else fails a torch and sledge hammer are handy tools to use. :wink:

Started baling Friday about noon and the first bale out smelled smoke!

Got to checking and a shield was broken and rubbing a shaft - - - took a hammer and chizle to it and baled another bale. Shaft was very warm but not hot so I pulled up to a hydrant and hossed it down between each bale and got the field baled - - - my son was in another field with the 530 and rain was in the focast - - - - now I have time to repair the old 510 before the next baling!

I guess I was the talk of the landlords family - - - - they have know for decades I will do what it takes to get the job done as long as it is safe! I was glad it happened in that field as the hydrant was very handy.

Latest posts