• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Got Hogs?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Them little ones are good on the pit. Even better if you can get someone else to dress them.
Wonder what the cost will be for the unit.
Here is South Texas a shooting crew from a helicopter charges upwards of $400 and hour.

Sorry Big Muddy. I didn't see your post until putting up a similar one. It looks to be a great idea, being both humane and very effective in the number of hogs captured. Wild hogs are a problem we don't have so far, but I certainly feel for those who do.

Wild hogs are a problem that we don't have as yet but they are in many parts of Saskatchewan.
A trap like that looks like something as country or Conservation district could purchase and rent out.

At $6,000 guess myself and my neighbors will just keep on trying to trap or any other way to get rid of them.
We really don't care if it is a HUMANE way or not. Here in Texas it is legal to kill them anyway except for poison. The only reason we can't poison them is due to the other wildlife getting the poison. They are working on a feeder that the coons can't get into.
For those of you that have never had them, they get in the hay field and root it up overnight, then it is next to impossible to drive as pickup across it. Really rough driving a tractor across to drag out so you can disk it and re drag.
The dang things will travel 20 plus miles a night. They are mostly night roamers. Can have 3 litters a year and start breeding at 5 months of age.
The ones of you that don't have them are very lucky, hope you never get them.

Richardd said:
At $6,000 guess myself and my neighbors will just keep on trying to trap or any other way to get rid of them.
We really don't care if it is a HUMANE way or not. Here in Texas it is legal to kill them anyway except for poison. The only reason we can't poison them is due to the other wildlife getting the poison. They are working on a feeder that the coons can't get into.
For those of you that have never had them, they get in the hay field and root it up overnight, then it is next to impossible to drive as pickup across it. Really rough driving a tractor across to drag out so you can disk it and re drag.
The dang things will travel 20 plus miles a night. They are mostly night roamers. Can have 3 litters a year and start breeding at 5 months of age.
The ones of you that don't have them are very lucky, hope you never get them.

If they are as effective as they say, if you could share it with some neighbors I would think $6,000 isn't a bad price. Could even do some custom work and make some money.

Hell this works a lot better http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tannerite-1-2-lb-exploding-targets-20-pack/pid-768288, and is a fraction of the cost just sprinkle some corn around the canister put a couple of dollars of pennys in the canister and whalala.......... Way cheaper and far more entertaining. :cboy: :cboy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUyQqJi1_DY

a few colorful words at the end of the video

The State is offering financial assistance to those here that have serious hog problems. A couple of folks I know have that system and say it works like a charm. New rule that you can't transport a live hog across the property line keeps them from catching live and transporting.

They just shoot them in the pen and dig a hole.

Why would they not at least sell for dog food? I can understand you cannot sell for human consumption but I would sure butcher and feed the dogs - - - probably much better than the dog food we buy. Or donate to local zoo - - - I just hate waste!

George:
Here in Texas they are sold for human consumption. Some or the meat is shipped to New York as Texas Wild Boar.
There are buyers around our area that buy them and then process them.
The bad thing about eating them, human or dog, is because of the deceases they carry.
2 weeks ago we had a Texas Department of Agriculture sponsored hog hunt contest, this is a yearly event. Over 800 hogs were killed.
There is an entry fee to enter the contest and the purse money is pretty good. There are different categories: Largest hog, most hogs killed with a rifle, most killed with dog catching, most killed with bow and arrow. All of the categories also have a purse for the largest hog in that category. Plus they have to be fresh killed and fit for human consumption. meaning that they have to be packed with ice. There is also a purse for the longest tusk, this years was 3 inches.
I believe we had 36 teams this year.
Most of the hogs after the contest are carried out into fields for the Coyotes and Buzzards to eat.
So they don't go wasted.

I saw a Utube video about a year ago where they were hunting hogs with air rifles and if they made a clean kill with no noise the rest would just stay there and they could kill 15 to 20 at a time.

Some of todays air rifles are amassing - - - but then so were some of the old ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Latest posts