• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Got newspaper ideas? Capital Press freelance writer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The way it looks to me, is that all of the above suggestions have already been talked to death. Find some real meat and potatoes like topic. Maybe you could take a look at who will be entering the beef producing industry in the next few years, and how. Where will the capital come from? As our wealth becomes more concentrated so will our farms and ranches. It looks like the days of the independent farmer or rancher is soon to disappear.

Clarence said:
The way it looks to me, is that all of the above suggestions have already been talked to death. Find some real meat and potatoes like topic. Maybe you could take a look at who will be entering the beef producing industry in the next few years, and how. Where will the capital come from? As our wealth becomes more concentrated so will our farms and ranches. It looks like the days of the independent farmer or rancher is soon to disappear.

Clarence I see a lot changing...Used to be the farmer/rancher worked hard to own or control their own land- took pride in the ownership of the land and usually didn't expand until they had the last purchase paid for....I think a lot of it went back to the beliefs that were brought over from Europe, where many could never own the land- only be sharecroppers or farm employees of the government or large land barons- many old ranchers had worked for years for the large cattle barons of the west and were proud of whatever they could put together that they actually owned.... And remembering the bank repossesions of the twentys and thirtys kept many from overborrowing......

Much of the industry is now going back to the sharecropper- rental employee way again...Many of the ranchs are being bought up by corporate investors who play the land valuation, tax, hunting, conservation and wildlife programs to the tenth degree- some leasing or sharecropping out the working operation- some being absentee owners and hiring managers... Also many ranch operations are put together today with the idea they will never pay for or own the land- just try to make what they can while the credit holds out-- need continued expansion to keep ahead of the interest payments...I see many cattle herds put together one year on the acquiring of a lease or a loan and then dispersed a few years later when the lease or all credit is gone...A lot of the old continuity is gone-- closed herds are becoming the thing of the past.......

Several ranchers and farmers I know have sold out to the high land prices being paid- couldn't afford to expand to keep up with rising costs ... of these many retired, some of the younger ones went to work running the old place they just sold on a share basis- altho they now only make 1/2 of the management decisions... many of the young guys took town jobs and a few went to work for other ranchs...

Looks to me like I'm seeing the return of the "cattle baron" type absentee owner farming and ranching with the major lending institutions and corporate interests being the land owner..... :cry:

Thanks for all the posts, everyone. I can see R-CALF is definitely a hot topic worth looking into; it certainly manages to inspire a lot of emotions. :lol:

MP

I was wondering if the R-CALF story could have any local applications, for example: a chapter in the Dalles, Oregon, Goldendale, Washington, or elsewhere in the Columbia Gorge area that would have relevant news. I couldn't simply write a story about whether the organization is right or not, even if I did have an opinion (which I officially am not supposed to). If there are any specific developments in my region of interest, it could be really helpful.

Thanks again,

MP

mp.freelance said:
I was wondering if the R-CALF story could have any local applications, for example: a chapter in the Dalles, Oregon, Goldendale, Washington, or elsewhere in the Columbia Gorge area that would have relevant news. I couldn't simply write a story about whether the organization is right or not, even if I did have an opinion (which I officially am not supposed to). If there are any specific developments in my region of interest, it could be really helpful.

Thanks again,

MP

You can check out the website at www.rcalfusa.com to get a start on anything. I'm sure there are members in your locale - there are 16,000+ members nationwide and they are growing rapidly.

After you have checked the R-CALF website for their "CLAIMS", make sure you check with USDA for the "FACTS". You'll be quite amazed at the contrast.

~SH~

I don't believe all that R-Calf says, I don't believe all that the USDA says, they are to political, I don't believe all that our congressmen says; although he has to be more creditable, I don't believe all our president says. I don't believe all that SH, MRJ, Agman, Sandhusker, Haymaker, Oldtimer, Tam or some others on this board says. But somehow from all this, it helps me form my own opinion of things.

Freelance,

I live in Hermiston and travel the NW. Lots of interesting things, but what is your typical interest. Sorry, I don't go into Bull Session much anymore, too much mudslinging here. you might PM me.

One thing is Nathan Crowther that own MW Farm Supply has just started building trailers in a shop behind the store. There's severalother things individuals are doing if you are doing stories on people and their projects.

NW Farm is also doing some stuff (Mike Countryman, better known as Cornbread), with some feed additives that increase conversion and help grade better. First group of saleyard calves through this hit 80% Choice and seemd to have pretty low cost of gain.

Steve Campbell is new acting Manager at Hamleys in Pendleton. New owners are really doing some neat things to bring back the tradition and be a going concern.

You might have better luck posting ths in the other forums here, they seem less emotionally charged,

PM me if you want,

PPRM

Porker,
Explain to me the advantage of having your information in Scoring Systems or any other private data base! We do not have a law to mandate Individual FOod Animal Id.........when we do the government will have the database to follow the animals through gate to plate. Why would you spend good money to have this information in a private database???????????????????????? What are they doing for you?????????
These private data warehouses are the biggest pile of BS I have ever seen if they are selling their services to comply with forthcoming government regulations. Their deal is to provide data collection,warehousing, and analysis for individuals/or groups that do not want to do it. They have nothing to offer to comply with a federal regulation that is not even a law. :roll:

I own a 6600 Nokia internet cell phone CattleCo and I want my CATTLE records where ever I stand,At the barn ,In the Field,At The Stockyards or Selling a 4-H calf So I use SSI 's Technology in a web-based format that lets me do that as the complete animal records are in my hand.I thought I heard an read that the Ag Sec. say"s only private warehousing of data will be used because of the FOIA.Also I like my cutout data returned via the SSI system and I put my crops like hay records on it too.Hey CattleCo, which software company do you use or do you still use paper?By the way I spend $0.25 for the records lifetime that I can get anywhere you can get cellphone service.

CattleCo try this LINK http://www.scoringsystem.com/sales/images/flowChartLowRes.pdf I use this system every day and besides ,there is not to many ranchers an farmers that don't use cell phones.

Latest posts